Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Salt as Root Control in Toilet?

I asked my plumber, who was here a few days ago clearing
roots from my plumbing (main line between house and street),
what the best root control product was -- meaning that stuff
you flush down the toilet once a month to prevent roots
growing into your pipes.

His answer was to put some rock salt into a container, poke
some holes in it, and put it in the toilet tank. This sounded
like a great idea since I know that salt will kill plants.

Then I got online and looked it up. Started seeing things
about salt actually damaging plumbing. That's when I decided
to come and ask you knowledgeable folks.

Is using rock salt in the toilet tank a good idea, or just
real stupid?

Thanks in advance,

8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
~~~~~~~~~

http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
http://intergnat.com/malebashing/
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm in NY state, where they salt the roads a lot. Does a lot of sheet metal
and frame damage to the cars. I'd not want to put salt in my toilet tank, it
would likely do damage to the float, and the various metals in the tank.

You could flush a fistful of rock salt (I'd not use table salt, it would
dissolve too quickly). The various hardware stores sell stuff for this
purpose. Plumbing department, and ask the clerk who's over 40 years old. Not
the pimple faced teen.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Suzie-Q wrote:
I asked my plumber, who was here a few days ago clearing
roots from my plumbing (main line between house and street),
what the best root control product was -- meaning that stuff
you flush down the toilet once a month to prevent roots
growing into your pipes.

His answer was to put some rock salt into a container, poke
some holes in it, and put it in the toilet tank. This sounded
like a great idea since I know that salt will kill plants.

Then I got online and looked it up. Started seeing things
about salt actually damaging plumbing. That's when I decided
to come and ask you knowledgeable folks.

Is using rock salt in the toilet tank a good idea, or just
real stupid?

I wouldn't use it at all if you have iron drain pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:18:50 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'm in NY state, where they salt the roads a lot. Does a lot of sheet metal
and frame damage to the cars. I'd not want to put salt in my toilet tank, it
would likely do damage to the float, and the various metals in the tank.

Metal? In a toilet tank? Just how old *is* your house? ;-) You must still
have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!

I'd certainly be sure there is no metallic waste pipe in the house, though.
Salt won't likely hurt PVC, much, though that's not certain, either.

You could flush a fistful of rock salt (I'd not use table salt, it would
dissolve too quickly). The various hardware stores sell stuff for this
purpose. Plumbing department, and ask the clerk who's over 40 years old. Not
the pimple faced teen.

Water softener salt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Suzie-Q writes:

I asked my plumber, who was here a few days ago clearing
roots from my plumbing (main line between house and street),
what the best root control product was -- meaning that stuff
you flush down the toilet once a month to prevent roots
growing into your pipes.

His answer was to put some rock salt into a container, poke
some holes in it, and put it in the toilet tank. This sounded
like a great idea since I know that salt will kill plants.

Then I got online and looked it up. Started seeing things
about salt actually damaging plumbing. That's when I decided
to come and ask you knowledgeable folks.

Is using rock salt in the toilet tank a good idea, or just
real stupid?

If your sewer pipes are letting roots in, they are broken.

Better to get the leaky pipes repaired.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Dan Espen wrote in :

Suzie-Q writes:

I asked my plumber, who was here a few days ago clearing
roots from my plumbing (main line between house and street),
what the best root control product was -- meaning that stuff
you flush down the toilet once a month to prevent roots
growing into your pipes.

His answer was to put some rock salt into a container, poke
some holes in it, and put it in the toilet tank. This sounded
like a great idea since I know that salt will kill plants.

Then I got online and looked it up. Started seeing things
about salt actually damaging plumbing. That's when I decided
to come and ask you knowledgeable folks.

Is using rock salt in the toilet tank a good idea, or just
real stupid?

If your sewer pipes are letting roots in, they are broken.

Better to get the leaky pipes repaired.

That is the solution, but it is pricey. Not more pricey than a few years
of rotorooting though. DAMHIKT. Make sure the street sewer isn't
blocked. Mine was (dates from 1929), and that contributed to flooding
experienced by neighbors. In other words, when they replace your
"lateral" sewer line (house to street), ask the contractor to look down
the main sewer and have him notify the town if he finds obstructions.
Use the contractor who does most of the work for the town.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-21, Dan Espen wrote:

If your sewer pipes are letting roots in, they are broken.

Actually, the roots can worm their way into unbroken pipes and then
grow and break them. Either way, a repair is in order.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The traditional "root remedy" is copper sulfate crystals since copper kills
the parts of plants that it touches. I used it a few times, but found that
the roots just came back when I wasn't paying attention such as during the
winter when the ground was frozen. The best solution: plastic sewer pipes
with no joints anywhere near a tree.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 7:51*am, Suzie-Q wrote:
I asked my plumber, who was here a few days ago clearing
roots from my plumbing (main line between house and street),
what the best root control product was -- meaning that stuff
you flush down the toilet once a month to prevent roots
growing into your pipes.

His answer was to put some rock salt into a container, poke
some holes in it, and put it in the toilet tank. This sounded
like a great idea since I know that salt will kill plants.

Then I got online and looked it up. Started seeing things
about salt actually damaging plumbing. That's when I decided
to come and ask you knowledgeable folks.

Is using rock salt in the toilet tank a good idea, or just
real stupid?

Thanks in advance,

8^)~~~~~~ * * * Sue * * (remove x to email)
~~~~~~~~~

http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/http://int...m/malebashing/

As one who has tried the rock salt method for controlling roots, I can
say with a bit of certainty that it doesn't work in cases where the
roots are entering the top of the pipe.

Since the salt water running along the bottom of the pipe never
contacts the hanging roots, the roots are left to hang free, snagging
bits ot toilet paper and waste.

You'll start with a partial blockage (slow drains and gurgling drains/
toilets in the lower part of the house) and eventually enough stuff
will get hung up to cause a full stoppage.

My next step is to try Root-X, which is a foaming product that
supposedly coats the entire pipe and kills the roots.

I already have the product, I just have to wait until some roots grow
back since the last cutting because the product likes growing ends to
help it kill the roots.

See he

http://www.rootx.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:
I'm in NY state, where they salt the roads a lot. Does a lot of sheet metal
and frame damage to the cars. I'd not want to put salt in my toilet tank, it
would likely do damage to the float, and the various metals in the tank.

Metal? *In a toilet tank? *Just how old *is* your house? *;-) *You must still
have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!

I'd be more concerned about the cast iron drain pipes myself...

That said, I've heard this recommentation before, but not exactly
phrased that way, what I've heard recommended is to put a bunch of
rock salt in your laundry sink and dissolve that and let it drain,
1-2x a year. His way sounds like a good way to turn it into a
constant release kind of thing, but I would share the concern about
possible damage to metal components (I grew up in western PA and have
seen the same things happen to vehicles... my dad had a '67 Olds that
he bought new and it was retired something like 12 years later when
the frame rusted completely through. At that time it was by far the
oldest vehicle in the neighborhood, save for the next door neighbor's
Cougar which hadn't actually been driven since I was old enough to
notice.)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 12:03*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 21, 7:51*am, Suzie-Q wrote:

[...]

I use salt a few times a year mostly in early spring. I mix a 25 pound
bag of rocksalt in my basement washtub with very hot water, and let
the salt water sit in the line while no one is home.

my washer drains into that tub so the remaining salt continues to
treat the line for the next couple loads.

my line was camera inspected, every joint but one had roots.

it must be 14 or 15 years, with just one roto rooter visit. in the
spring I was busy and forgot to use the salt

at the time of the original diagnosis the estimate for just the line
under the basement to the street was over 8 grand. the line has a low
spot too so the plumber said a sock liner was a bad idea.

plus a new line would require execavating under the driveway, a
sidewalk, and retaining wall.

rock salt is my best friend

http://www.rootx.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:15:58 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:45:31 -0400, "

On 2012-03-21, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!

....as opposed to those lo-flow turders that require 6 flushings to
get the one ornery floater down and spray the entire bathroom or yer
ass with aids water?

Right. As opposed to those commie Democrappers.

**** or get off the pot.

....but I *like* ****ting on Democrappers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The traditional "root remedy" is copper sulfate crystals since copper kills
the parts of plants that it touches. I used it a few times, but found that
the roots just came back when I wasn't paying attention such as during the
winter when the ground was frozen. *The best solution: *plastic sewer pipes
with no joints anywhere near a tree.

Tomsic

That's correct, but I think copper sulfate is not only traditional,
it's also considered an environmental hazard and isn't sold anymore
for that purpose.

I find the salt option kind of peculiar. You'd have to dump a big
shovelful of salt into the toilet to get a mix that, when diluted,
might discourage tree roots. But even if you did, other water use in
your house that would dilute it would also pretty quickly flush it
out. I guess if you put in a lot, and moved out for a few days to let
the salty water take effect, it might work.

I think bezonitrile is what they use these days. Isn't that basically
what RootX is? The stuff is a potent herbicide, and it's pretty toxic
to fish and wildlife, but the version they use is biodegradable, and
it gets foamy and sticky in the pipes to cling to the roots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 4:51*am, Suzie-Q wrote:
I asked my plumber, who was here a few days ago clearing
roots from my plumbing (main line between house and street),
what the best root control product was -- meaning that stuff
you flush down the toilet once a month to prevent roots
growing into your pipes.

His answer was to put some rock salt into a container, poke
some holes in it, and put it in the toilet tank. This sounded
like a great idea since I know that salt will kill plants.

Then I got online and looked it up. Started seeing things
about salt actually damaging plumbing. That's when I decided
to come and ask you knowledgeable folks.

Is using rock salt in the toilet tank a good idea, or just
real stupid?

Thanks in advance,

8^)~~~~~~ * * * Sue * * (remove x to email)
~~~~~~~~~

http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/http://int...m/malebashing/

There is a recent thread on this very topic..... do a search.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 12:43*am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-

On 2012-03-21, wrote:

have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!

....as opposed to those lo-flow turders that require 6 flushings to
get the one ornery floater down and spray the entire bathroom or yer
ass with aids water?

Right. *As opposed to those commie Democrappers.

**** or get off the pot.

He is the pot

use cupper sulphat , that stop roots without killing plants
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 3:50*am, jeoff wrote:
On Mar 22, 12:43*am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-

On 2012-03-21, wrote:

have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!

....as opposed to those lo-flow turders that require 6 flushings to
get the one ornery floater down and spray the entire bathroom or yer
ass with aids water?

Right. *As opposed to those commie Democrappers.

**** or get off the pot.

He is the pot

use cupper sulphat , that stop roots without killing plants

copper sulphate is expensive as sold to kill roots and can kill a
tree.

rock salt is cheap, and very effective if used correctly

mix rock salt with HOT WATER, be generous and use no water after
application till late in day.

do it last thing in morning when no one will b home till evening. this
gives the salt time to work.

of course its best to just replace the likely terracota line with
plastic. but the expense can be a killer.

the most likely root clog time is early spring just before trees leaf
out.

this is conveniently when rock salt is a winter close out item..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 4:13*am, bob haller wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:50*am, jeoff wrote:

On Mar 22, 12:43*am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-

On 2012-03-21, wrote:

[...]

this is conveniently when rock salt is a winter close out item..- Hide quoted text -

I'm glad that salt has worked for you, but it's not the be-all and end-
all of root treatment.

I do essentially the same thing as you do, except that I put the salt/
sal****er in my basement shower stall which is right next to the last
cleanout before the drain leaves the house. I also do it before
leaving for work so no water is used all day.

It may do a good job of killing any roots on the bottom of the pipe
(since the camera showed none) but it doesn't get to the roots
entering from the top. When these roots get long enough - before
reaching the bottom of the pipe where the water runs - they can snag
debris floating on the water and eventually build up a clog.

It's been 5 weeks since my last snaking/cutting, so I'm going to use
the Root-X sometime next week.

On 2012-03-21, wrote:

[...]

I believe thats why VERY HOT WATER works best.

The hot salt water vaporizes in the line killing all the roots.

cold water might be less affective. plus i do laundry in the days
after the initial treatment, the waste water empties into the washtub
with the remaining salt, retreating the line again.

what can i say its worked for me for near 15 years, and every joint
but one had roots....

i encourage people to at least try it. even with a clog.

the salt water isnt hazardous, skin exposure to copper sulfate may
make you ill and its dirt cheap too.

softener salt could also be used if you live where rock salt isnt
available
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:13:36 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:43:44 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article , Oren

On 2012-03-21, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!

....as opposed to those lo-flow turders that require 6 flushings to
get the one ornery floater down and spray the entire bathroom or yer
ass with aids water?

Right. As opposed to those commie Democrappers.

**** or get off the pot.

He is the pot

No, Malformed, you're the only one "coordinated" enough to **** himself,
around here.

this is no time for you to be modest about your mothers failures

As usual, Malformed, you make no sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!

....as opposed to those lo-flow turders that require 6 flushings to
get the one ornery floater down and spray the entire bathroom or yer
ass with aids water?

Right. As opposed to those commie Democrappers.

**** or get off the pot.

He is the pot

No, Malformed, you're the only one "coordinated" enough to **** himself,
around here.

this is no time for you to be modest about your mothers failures

As usual, Malformed, you make no sense.

Whhhhooooooooooooosssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

My initial impression was that you were wrong on
this, but I see how right you are. I went to our local
hardware store, and asked how much a pound of
copper sulfate would be. You can imagine my shock
when he told me that it was going to set me back
three dollars and twenty seven cents.

On Mar 22, 4:13*am, bob haller wrote:

copper sulphate is expensive as sold to kill roots and can kill a
tree.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:05:40 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!

....as opposed to those lo-flow turders that require 6 flushings to
get the one ornery floater down and spray the entire bathroom or yer
ass with aids water?

Right. As opposed to those commie Democrappers.

**** or get off the pot.

He is the pot

No, Malformed, you're the only one "coordinated" enough to **** himself,
around here.

this is no time for you to be modest about your mothers failures

As usual, Malformed, you make no sense.

Whhhhooooooooooooosssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!!!

....the sound of your head following your ass down the bowl.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-21, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!

....as opposed to those lo-flow turders that require 6 flushings to
get the one ornery floater down and spray the entire bathroom or yer
ass with aids water?

Right. As opposed to those commie Democrappers.

That commie president GHW Bush signed that one into law.

I didn't know you were a fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 4:18*pm, Michael B wrote:
My initial impression was that you were wrong on
this, but I see how right you are. I went to our local
hardware store, and asked how much a pound of
copper sulfate would be. You can imagine my shock
when he told me that it was going to set me back
three dollars and twenty seven cents.

On Mar 22, 4:13*am, bob haller wrote:

copper sulphate is expensive as sold to kill roots and can kill a
tree.- Hide quoted text -

Copper sulfate, to the best of my knowledge, has been a tried and true
method for years for controlling root invasion into plumbing lines.
Fifteen years ago I had to have my plumber roto root out my line to
the sewar, and he advised me to flush about 1/2 cup of copper sulfate
down the basement toilet once every month. I've done this faithfully
for the past 15 years, and have never had a root problem in all that
time. Furthermore, I have yet to have any tree damage or loss from the
treatment. I get my copper sulfate from a farmers' co-op elevator,
and, yes, it is rather expensive. I think that I pay about $30 for a
hefty bucket of the stuff, but that lasts for about 2 years on the
average. So spread over time it's not that expensive on a monthly
basis. It sure beats having to pay a plumber to roto root the line
ever so often! ;-)
JimCo
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:05:40 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!

....as opposed to those lo-flow turders that require 6 flushings
get the one ornery floater down and spray the entire bathroom or
yer
ass with aids water?

Right. As opposed to those commie Democrappers.

**** or get off the pot.

He is the pot

No, Malformed, you're the only one "coordinated" enough to ****
himself,
around here.

this is no time for you to be modest about your mothers failures

As usual, Malformed, you make no sense.

Whhhhooooooooooooosssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!!!

...the sound of your head following your ass down the bowl.

so you spend quite a bit of time following your mothers turds on their journeys?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 20:09:01 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:05:40 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!

....as opposed to those lo-flow turders that require 6 flushings
get the one ornery floater down and spray the entire bathroom or
yer
ass with aids water?

Right. As opposed to those commie Democrappers.

**** or get off the pot.

He is the pot

No, Malformed, you're the only one "coordinated" enough to ****
himself,
around here.

this is no time for you to be modest about your mothers failures

As usual, Malformed, you make no sense.

Whhhhooooooooooooosssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!!!

...the sound of your head following your ass down the bowl.

so you spend quite a bit of time following your mothers turds on their journeys?

You lefties sure are obsessed with all things scatological, aren't you
Malformed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

You lefties sure are obsessed with all things scatological, aren't you
Malformed?

better that than your obsession with penises
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:43:53 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

You lefties sure are obsessed with all things scatological, aren't you
Malformed?

better that than your obsession with penises

When all other arguments fail, you *always* fall back on IKWYABWAI.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

...but you repeat yourself, incessantly.

thank you. I do so enjoy your attempts at humor, now roll over and beg for more
attention
Posted to alt.home.repair

What brand of rock salt are you using? I've got castiron pipes & my plumber cleared a good sized root ball from my main line yesterday. He suggested the rock salt too but again I'm not sure which brand to use. Also he suggested flushing a cup every other wk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What brand of rock salt do you use?

Happy Square Root Day! Lew Hartswick Metalworking 2 March 4th 09 02:49 PM
Tree root damage [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 9th 07 06:35 PM
What to do with a root Markem Woodworking 2 March 31st 07 03:49 AM
Tree Root Problem cover Home Ownership 2 August 15th 06 02:53 AM
tree root problem tenplay Home Repair 3 May 31st 05 08:30 PM