Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Salt as Root Control in Toilet?

On Mar 21, 9:28*am, "
wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:18:50 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
I'm in NY state, where they salt the roads a lot. Does a lot of sheet metal
and frame damage to the cars. I'd not want to put salt in my toilet tank, it
would likely do damage to the float, and the various metals in the tank.

Metal? *In a toilet tank? *Just how old *is* your house? *;-) *You must still
have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!

I'd be more concerned about the cast iron drain pipes myself...

That said, I've heard this recommentation before, but not exactly
phrased that way, what I've heard recommended is to put a bunch of
rock salt in your laundry sink and dissolve that and let it drain,
1-2x a year. His way sounds like a good way to turn it into a
constant release kind of thing, but I would share the concern about
possible damage to metal components (I grew up in western PA and have
seen the same things happen to vehicles... my dad had a '67 Olds that
he bought new and it was retired something like 12 years later when
the frame rusted completely through. At that time it was by far the
oldest vehicle in the neighborhood, save for the next door neighbor's
Cougar which hadn't actually been driven since I was old enough to
notice.)

nate