Posted to alt.home.repair
Suzie-Q[_2_] Suzie-Q[_2_] is offline

Default Salt as Root Control in Toilet?

I asked my plumber, who was here a few days ago clearing
roots from my plumbing (main line between house and street),
what the best root control product was -- meaning that stuff
you flush down the toilet once a month to prevent roots
growing into your pipes.

His answer was to put some rock salt into a container, poke
some holes in it, and put it in the toilet tank. This sounded
like a great idea since I know that salt will kill plants.

Then I got online and looked it up. Started seeing things
about salt actually damaging plumbing. That's when I decided
to come and ask you knowledgeable folks.

Is using rock salt in the toilet tank a good idea, or just
real stupid?

Thanks in advance,

8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
~~~~~~~~~