Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No more mouse poison

Was taking the trash out this morning and happened to look down and
find a pile of mouse poison pellets laying in the middle of my
driveway where any bird or idiot kid could eat them. For the past few
years I have been using mouse poison in my garage because the mice get
into my camping gear. The problem is that damn mice don't get killed
until they have already hauled a substantial amount of the pellets to
some other hiding spot. I had gotten a moving blanket out of the
garage two days earlier and apparently the poison pellets had fallen
out of it.

I don't want to poison anything except the mice -- but that isn't
working -- so I am just going to buy a few multi-mouse traps and give
up on the poison.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2012 1:05 PM, Davej wrote:
Was taking the trash out this morning and happened to look down and
find a pile of mouse poison pellets laying in the middle of my
driveway where any bird or idiot kid could eat them. For the past few
years I have been using mouse poison in my garage because the mice get
into my camping gear. The problem is that damn mice don't get killed
until they have already hauled a substantial amount of the pellets to
some other hiding spot. I had gotten a moving blanket out of the
garage two days earlier and apparently the poison pellets had fallen
out of it.

I don't want to poison anything except the mice -- but that isn't
working -- so I am just going to buy a few multi-mouse traps and give
up on the poison.

We had four mice inside our house this winter. My wife insisted on
laying poison down but I'm glad I did NOT. One we have dogs and a baby,
and all three will chew on anything (we caught the baby trying to put
the dog's ear in her mouth one afternoon).

Second when the mice finally die they stink up your attic or whereever
they went for a couple of weeks.

I used old fashioned spring loaded mousetraps and peanut butter and a
sticky glue pad. Two caught by the traps, two by the sticky pad.

Problem solved for another year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2012 12:21 PM, Duesenberg wrote:
[...]

LOL! you're wasting peanut butter. Secret is to put them along the
baseboards, trigger side towards the wall and you don't even have to
bait them. Learned it on some tv show and tried it. Mice are mostly
blind anyway, and they will run right across the trigger and get KILT
without bait.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 1:05*pm, Davej wrote:
Was taking the trash out this morning and happened to look down and
find a pile of mouse poison pellets laying in the middle of my
driveway where any bird or idiot kid could eat them. For the past few
years I have been using mouse poison in my garage because the mice get
into my camping gear. The problem is that damn mice don't get killed
until they have already hauled a substantial amount of the pellets to
some other hiding spot. I had gotten a moving blanket out of the
garage two days earlier and apparently the poison pellets had fallen
out of it.

I don't want to poison anything except the mice -- but that isn't
working -- so I am just going to buy a few multi-mouse traps and give
up on the poison.

Rescue a cat from your local animal shelter and your problem will be
solved and you will have a happy cat.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/20/2012 03:30 PM, Frank from Deeeetroit wrote:

[snip]

Rescue a cat from your local animal shelter and your problem will be
solved and you will have a happy cat.

Frank

I used to have a mouse problem, but it's been gone the last 3 years.
Nibbles (http://notstupid.us/anything/cat.5.jpg) has been catching all
the mice and other little animals.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." -- Delos
McKown
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 5:50*pm, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:
On 3/20/2012 3:51 PM, Red Green wrote:

Frank from *wrote in news:69e28188-347e-
:

On Mar 20, 1:05 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Ditto. Rescues don't forget they are suppose to hunt whether they are
hungry or not.

They work year round on any that get in and when there's none left they
head 'em off outside before they get to the house.

We have a bunch of feral cats in our neighborhood. I haven't seen a
mouse or rat in along time,- Hide quoted text -

No songbirds, either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2012 2:42 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

I saw a rat exterminator on TV do this but IMHO, mice are attracted to
the peanut butter but I think it is important to have a sensitive
trigger on the trap. I've seen mice nibble it off an insensitive trap.

Poison, I don't like in the house. Sometimes a dead mouse in the wall
will stink for several days. Glue traps, I don't like. I've seen mice
chew off their leg trying to escape. Takes too long for them to die.

If you like cats, get a cat but they will not keep your home mouse free
as they cannot access all the small places that mice can roam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I saw a rat exterminator on TV do this but IMHO, mice are attracted to
the peanut butter but I think it is important to have a sensitive
trigger on the trap. I've seen mice nibble it off an insensitive trap.

The package that had the mouse traps said use peanut butter as bait so I
used 1/8th teaspoon. What the heck does 1/8th teaspoon PB cost if it
doesn't hurt the effectiveness of the trap

The mice were going for my kitchen garbage but i saw one of 3 ways for
them to go. Figured the PB might have lured them. Problem solved in
two nights, and no smelly mice dying in the walls.