Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Raising snowblower handles?

So we finally got some snow so I could play with my 'new' [7 yr old]
snowblower.

I like it better [mostly] than the 30yr old one it replaced--- but the
handles are about 3-4 inches too low.

I'm no giant, I'm 6'2", so I'm sure someone has gone this way before.
Seems like I should be able to add an 'extension handle' somehow that
will tie into the existing linkages.

I found something online for a Honda- but I've got an Ariens.

thanks,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

So we finally got some snow so I could play with my 'new' [7 yr old]
snowblower.

I like it better [mostly] than the 30yr old one it replaced--- but the
handles are about 3-4 inches too low.

I'm no giant, I'm 6'2", so I'm sure someone has gone this way before.
Seems like I should be able to add an 'extension handle' somehow that
will tie into the existing linkages.

I found something online for a Honda- but I've got an Ariens.

thanks,
Jim

Are they really too low? They should be right at about hip level, that
way you can turn by shifting your hip and weight into it rather than
straining with your arms. This is particularly important if you have it
in diff lock/solid axle mode where it wants to go straight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
I like it better [mostly] than the 30yr old one it replaced--- but the
handles are about 3-4 inches too low.

I'm no giant, I'm 6'2", so I'm sure someone has gone this way before.
Seems like I should be able to add an 'extension handle' somehow that
will tie into the existing linkages.

-snip-
Are they really too low? They should be right at about hip level, that
way you can turn by shifting your hip and weight into it rather than
straining with your arms. This is particularly important if you have it
in diff lock/solid axle mode where it wants to go straight.

Yeah, they're too low. I have to bend over just a bit to operate
it.

When I bought it it had a weight on the front like you put on to
offset a cab. I took it off-- but I'm going to put it back because
the front is too light. I can spin it around effortlessly with
one hand. I have a steep driveway and was doubtful about running
those big knobby tires without chains-- but if the 2 snowfalls we've
gotten this winter are any indication, I won't need chains *or* to
lock the differential.

My 30yr old Bolens had to be horsed around, and the differential had
to be locked so the chained tires could climb the hill, but the
handles were higher.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 15:40:56 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
[...]

You're just too tall for that snowblower.
I've had a couple cheap ones and my son broke the handle on one
horsing it in deep snow. Tube steel just snapped.
That handle was attached to the body and no way to adjust.
Your best bet is to fabricate brackets where the handles attach to
lift them up. Heavy duty brackets.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 1:17*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
So we finally got some snow so I could play with my 'new' [7 yr old]
snowblower.

I like it better [mostly] than the 30yr old one it replaced--- but the
handles are about 3-4 inches too low.

I'm no giant, I'm 6'2", so I'm sure someone has gone this way before.
Seems like I should be able to add an 'extension handle' somehow that
will tie into the existing linkages.

I found something online for a Honda- but I've got an Ariens.

thanks,
Jim

Have you called Ariens and see if they carry an extension kit?

920-756-4688 or submit a question he

http://ariens.custhelp.com/app/ask/

As I'm sure you know, if you raised the handles, you'd also have to
extend all of the cables.

If your Ariens is anything like my Ariens, you've got the drive and
auger levers on top of the handles, so those would have to be
retrofitted to reach the higher handles.

Assuming the console with the gear shift and chute controls would also
be raised, all of those cables and connections would have to be
extended also.

Of course, if you raised the console (at least on mine) the bar to
the chute-direction gearbox would be at a different angle and might
not work right. (I'm not looking at mine blower right now, so I can't
say for sure that that would be a problem)

For once I'm glad I'm not so tall. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

-snip-

Yeah, they're too low. I have to bend over just a bit to operate
it.

-snip-

You're just too tall for that snowblower.

Yeah- but it was just right for my pocketbook.g $200 & I don't
think it has 100 hours on it.

I've had a couple cheap ones and my son broke the handle on one
horsing it in deep snow. Tube steel just snapped.
That handle was attached to the body and no way to adjust.
Your best bet is to fabricate brackets where the handles attach to
lift them up. Heavy duty brackets.

Yup-- That's the plan. I was just hoping somebody else had made some
mistakes so I don't have to.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

-snip-

Yeah, they're too low. * *I have to bend over just a bit to operate
it.

-snip-

You're just too tall for that snowblower.

Yeah- but it was just right for my pocketbook.g * *$200 & I don't
think it has 100 hours on it.

I've had a couple cheap ones and my son broke the handle on one
horsing it in deep snow. *Tube steel just snapped.
That handle was attached to the body and no way to adjust.
Your best bet is to fabricate brackets where the handles attach to
lift them up. *Heavy duty brackets.

Yup-- That's the plan. * I was just hoping somebody else had made some
mistakes so I don't have to.

Jim

Post your question (along with the model number) in this forum. These
guys are really good and some have modified their snow blowers in some
pretty incredible ways.

http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 13:17:12 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

So we finally got some snow so I could play with my 'new' [7 yr old]
snowblower.

I like it better [mostly] than the 30yr old one it replaced--- but the
handles are about 3-4 inches too low.

I'm no giant, I'm 6'2", so I'm sure someone has gone this way before.
Seems like I should be able to add an 'extension handle' somehow that
will tie into the existing linkages.

Are you married? How tall is your wife? Problem solved with no
welding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So we finally got some snow so I could play with my 'new' [7 yr old]
snowblower.

I like it better [mostly] than the 30yr old one it replaced--- but the
handles are about 3-4 inches too low.

I'm no giant, I'm 6'2", so I'm sure someone has gone this way before.
Seems like I should be able to add an 'extension handle' somehow that
will tie into the existing linkages.

Are you married? How tall is your wife? Problem solved with no
welding.

Hehe-- I got her an electric. Nice and quiet, and light besides.

The big noisy ones are 'man-toys'

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
-snip-

Post your question (along with the model number) in this forum. These
guys are really good and some have modified their snow blowers in some
pretty incredible ways.

http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

Damn you-- I was avoiding them because they are a giant time-sucking
vortex of fascinating BS.g

I spent an hour going through the 'mods' thread--- did you get those
platform shoes?g

I might post over there after I talk to my neighbor about my current
'brilliant idea'.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Mar 1, 1:17*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
I'm no giant, I'm 6'2", so I'm sure someone has gone this way before.
Seems like I should be able to add an 'extension handle' somehow that
will tie into the existing linkages.

-snip-
Have you called Ariens and see if they carry an extension kit?

920-756-4688 or submit a question he

http://ariens.custhelp.com/app/ask/

Not yet-- My neighbor is a mechanic who has been working on machines
[he likes honda's better-- but his employer sells a lot more Ariens]
for decades. He's finally got some work to do so I'll talk to him
next week or so & see if he's seen anything.

As I'm sure you know, if you raised the handles, you'd also have to
extend all of the cables.

If your Ariens is anything like my Ariens, you've got the drive and
auger levers on top of the handles, so those would have to be
retrofitted to reach the higher handles.

Sounds like it- mines a ST824.
Here's the handlebar-
http://preview.tinyurl.com/st824handlebar

My current thoughts are to just mount a couple of 'U' pieces to the
existing handlebar and mount the squeezed handles on top of them with
linkages to the existing handles. In the process I might try to
get some leverage on those springs as my arthritic hands also end up
hurting after a couple hours of blowing.

I don't think it will interfere with the shifter, but I don't do a lot
of shifting with this thing anyway. It rolls so easy it is easier to
just hit the clutch and pull it back. The key is no problem.

The crank for the chute might benefit from an extension, too-- or I
could electrify it for giggles.

I wouldn't do this mod on my old 300 lb. Bolens- but this Ariens takes
a very light touch.

-snip-

For once I'm glad I'm not so tall. :-)

I won't sacrifice my ability to get the stuff on the top shelf for a
few cracks in my skull from low ceilings.g

When you think about it, it is amazing with all the ergonomic shovels
out there the snowblower folks don't make adjusting handle-height just
part of the set-up routine.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 10:04*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I have this model, barely a year old...

http://www.sno-tek.net/products/sno-tek-24.html

[...]

I don't get the bumps on the head and I have people like you to help
me get stuff on the top shelf. ;-)

I've never been shy about asking a fellow shopper to get something for
me if I can't reach it. In most cases, I'm sure I made them feel
better since they were able to help someone else, which usually feels
pretty good.

When you think about it, it is amazing with all the ergonomic shovels
out there the snowblower folks don't make adjusting handle-height just
part of the set-up routine.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 10:03*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

Post your question (along with the model number) in this forum. These
guys are really good and some have modified their snow blowers in some
pretty incredible ways.

http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

Damn you-- * I was avoiding them because they are a giant time-sucking
vortex of fascinating BS.g

I spent an hour going through the 'mods' thread--- *did you get those
platform shoes?g

I might post over there after I talk to my neighbor about my current
'brilliant idea'.

Jim

Yeah, that's a pretty cool site. Really easy to waste a lot of time
there. You'll also find that they're a lot more civil over there
compared to certain newsgroups, if you know what I mean. When they
disagree on something, they discuss it calmly or agree to disagree.

It was actually someone from a.h.r that pointed me in their direction
when I was trying to compare different SB models.

Once I posted my question there, they suggested I look at the new
Ariens Sno-Tek line - same price as the Craftsman/TroyBilt/MTD (which
are all the same machine) but much better built.

No, I never bought the platform shoes. I simply stand on a couple of
telephone books when I'm blowing snow.

Raising the Roof [email protected] UK diy 5 August 24th 08 12:06 PM
Raising the bathroom Chris Home Repair 7 December 16th 07 08:13 PM
Duct raising JohnnyC Home Repair 2 August 7th 07 04:41 PM
raising the lathe Dan Valleskey Woodturning 16 December 1st 04 04:58 AM
Raising the roof David @nospam.cod UK diy 11 July 5th 03 02:58 PM