David @nospam.cod

Default Raising the roof

I plan to increase the height of my garage by about 6' to build an extra
storey, I'll be re-using the existing roof as it is, instead of
dismantling the whole thing and then rebuilding I thought I might jack
the roof up and slip some extra wall underneath, what do you think?

--
David
Grunff

David wrote:
I plan to increase the height of my garage by about 6' to build an extra
storey, I'll be re-using the existing roof as it is, instead of
dismantling the whole thing and then rebuilding I thought I might jack
the roof up and slip some extra wall underneath, what do you think?

How big is it, and what's it made of?

--
Grunff

MrCheerful

David @nospam.cod wrote:
I plan to increase the height of my garage by about 6' to build an
extra storey, I'll be re-using the existing roof as it is, instead

of
dismantling the whole thing and then rebuilding I thought I might

jack
the roof up and slip some extra wall underneath, what do you think?

I must admit it is the sort of thing I would try. It depends on
construction, but it could be done using triangulated acrow props (or
they will tip sideways) and lifting a foot or so at a time, then
propping or building underneath. Weather might be a problem, one good
blow of wind and you have a disaster, safety of you while lifting is a
big thought too.

David @nospam.cod

In article , Grunff
writes
David wrote:
I plan to increase the height of my garage by about 6' to build an extra
storey, I'll be re-using the existing roof as it is, instead of
dismantling the whole thing and then rebuilding I thought I might jack
the roof up and slip some extra wall underneath, what do you think?

How big is it, and what's it made of?

Its a double garage so about 6M x 5M, trussed rafters with tiles
--
David
IanJH

"MrCheerful" wrote in message
David @nospam.cod wrote:
I plan to increase the height of my garage by about 6' to build an
extra storey, I'll be re-using the existing roof as it is, instead

of
dismantling the whole thing and then rebuilding I thought I might

jack
the roof up and slip some extra wall underneath, what do you think?

I must admit it is the sort of thing I would try. It depends on
construction, but it could be done using triangulated acrow props (or
they will tip sideways) and lifting a foot or so at a time, then
propping or building underneath. Weather might be a problem, one good
blow of wind and you have a disaster, safety of you while lifting is a
big thought too.

don't forget the planning permission(??) needed if the apex or the ridge of
the roof is going over 4m

IanJH

robgraham

I must admit it is the sort of thing I would try.

Me too! I think I'd put guy ropes to make sure it doesn't tip and only lift
an inch or two all round at a time. Let's face it, whole houses have been
moved from one site to another, particularly in the States. This roof job's
a doddle compared to that. Yes, the more I think about it the more I like
it.

Rob Graham

David @nospam.cod

In article , IanJH
writes

David @nospam.cod wrote:
I plan to increase the height of my garage by about 6' to build an
extra storey, I'll be re-using the existing roof as it is, instead

of
dismantling the whole thing and then rebuilding I thought I might

jack
the roof up and slip some extra wall underneath, what do you think?

I must admit it is the sort of thing I would try. It depends on
construction, but it could be done using triangulated acrow props (or
they will tip sideways) and lifting a foot or so at a time, then
propping or building underneath. Weather might be a problem, one good
blow of wind and you have a disaster, safety of you while lifting is a
big thought too.

don't forget the planning permission(??) needed if the apex or the ridge of
the roof is going over 4m

Sorted with planning and building control. its just the doing that's the
issue
--
David
David @nospam.cod

In article , BigWallop
writes

Ha Ha Ha Ha Sorry David, but that sounds a really daft idea to me. There
ain't a hope in hell you'll lift a double garage roof with tiles on, even a
few inches off its supports, without it falling to bits. Do you realise the
weight it will be ? Approximately six meters by five meters of slate tiles
alone is about two tonnes. Unless you brace all the bits together and lift
the whole thing with a properly slung crane, then you're asking for real
troubles.

Try it, and come back and tell us how you got on. :-))

I could try a compromise and strip the tiles off and jack the rest but
then its questionable whether its worth it when a complete strip down
wouldn't be much more work.

--
David
Grunff

BigWallop wrote:

Ha Ha Ha Ha Sorry David, but that sounds a really daft idea to me. There
ain't a hope in hell you'll lift a double garage roof with tiles on, even a
few inches off its supports, without it falling to bits. Do you realise the
weight it will be ? Approximately six meters by five meters of slate tiles
alone is about two tonnes. Unless you brace all the bits together and lift
the whole thing with a properly slung crane, then you're asking for real
troubles.

Try it, and come back and tell us how you got on. :-))

I'm inclined to agree. I don't see how you'd be able to raise it
at all four corners simultaneously. If you don't, it'll start
twisting and falling apart.

I think it sounds like a lot more work than rebuilding the roof.

--
Grunff

Nick Nelson

David, @nospam.cod wrote:

I plan to increase the height of my garage by about 6' to build an
extra storey, I'll be re-using the existing roof as it is, instead
dismantling the whole thing and then rebuilding I thought I might jack
the roof up and slip some extra wall underneath, what do you think?

Sorted with planning and building control. its just the doing that's the
issue

Assuming the roof is simply sitting on the walls at the moment, it must
be structurally stiff enough already so that tying the A frames together
along the two long wall lines ought in principle to make the whole thing
rigid enough to lift.

Even then, you would probably need Acro props at the foot of both
sides of each frame, plus some way of preventing the whole shebang
from moving off sideways. It would mean quite a lot of materials,
a great deal of care, and probably take a surprisingly long time,
but I'm sure it's both possible and could be done safely.

But, given the above and the fact that even though the risk of
losing the whole lot might be small, the costs of doing so would
be very high, I'd be inclined to dismantle it, build up the walls
and put it together again on the new structure.

Interesting experiment though, I'd like to see some piccies if
you do try the jacking approach (successfully or not!).

Nick

Capitol

I don't really see why not. Hydraulic lifters are available. Would need a
few load spreading beams to give stability. I've seen a whole house lifted
and transported in the US, so a roof ought to be easy! I'd expect the ridge
tiles to come unstuck and need recementing. Anyway if it did fall down, you
just say the appropriate words and put it back together again! It does have
the advantage of being able to work in the dry. Wind loading might be a
stability problem. Is it tied into any other roof/wall?
Regards
Capitol

David @nospam.cod wrote in message ...
I plan to increase the height of my garage by about 6' to build an extra
storey, I'll be re-using the existing roof as it is, instead of
dismantling the whole thing and then rebuilding I thought I might jack
the roof up and slip some extra wall underneath, what do you think?

--
David

N. Thornton

David @nospam.cod wrote in message ...
I plan to increase the height of my garage by about 6' to build an extra
storey, I'll be re-using the existing roof as it is, instead of
dismantling the whole thing and then rebuilding I thought I might jack
the roof up and slip some extra wall underneath, what do you think?

Seems like the obvious route is to jack only one side up, add
brickwork, let it set, then jack other side, add brickwork, and walk
it up like that. I assume you'd need to attach a very hefty beam along
the length of the thing first so that all the frames are lifted, no
use just lifting some of them.

Should work OK, I'd try that anyhow. Guarantees are a whole nother
matter tho. Better make sure you got hard hats on!

Regards, NT