Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Raising snowblower handles?

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 15:40:56 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
I like it better [mostly] than the 30yr old one it replaced--- but the
handles are about 3-4 inches too low.

I'm no giant, I'm 6'2", so I'm sure someone has gone this way before.
Seems like I should be able to add an 'extension handle' somehow that
will tie into the existing linkages.

-snip-
Are they really too low? They should be right at about hip level, that
way you can turn by shifting your hip and weight into it rather than
straining with your arms. This is particularly important if you have it
in diff lock/solid axle mode where it wants to go straight.

Yeah, they're too low. I have to bend over just a bit to operate
it.

When I bought it it had a weight on the front like you put on to
offset a cab. I took it off-- but I'm going to put it back because
the front is too light. I can spin it around effortlessly with
one hand. I have a steep driveway and was doubtful about running
those big knobby tires without chains-- but if the 2 snowfalls we've
gotten this winter are any indication, I won't need chains *or* to
lock the differential.

My 30yr old Bolens had to be horsed around, and the differential had
to be locked so the chained tires could climb the hill, but the
handles were higher.

Jim

You're just too tall for that snowblower.
I've had a couple cheap ones and my son broke the handle on one
horsing it in deep snow. Tube steel just snapped.
That handle was attached to the body and no way to adjust.
Your best bet is to fabricate brackets where the handles attach to
lift them up. Heavy duty brackets.

--Vic