Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI Question

I needed to replace an electrical outlet that very conveniently was downstream
of a GFCI outlet. So I just pushed the 'test" switch on the GCFI and happily
went on my merry way.

I found that at the replacement location the box itself had broken (the
threaded portion of the top side was fractured) and thus there was a midstream
trip to Lowe's to pick up a new box. I simply re-enabled the GFCI for an hour
while I ran my errand.

Upon getting home, I broke out the old box, installed the new box, and started
to reinstall the new outlet. To my surprise, I got a shock. I'd forgotten to
disable the GFCI outlet this second time.

Question: shouldn't the GFCI have triggered? I was hardly on the verge of
electrocution but am somewhat surprised at the outcome.

Art
Art
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2012 5:48 PM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:
I needed to replace an electrical outlet that very conveniently was downstream
of a GFCI outlet. So I just pushed the 'test" switch on the GCFI and happily
went on my merry way.

I found that at the replacement location the box itself had broken (the
threaded portion of the top side was fractured) and thus there was a midstream
trip to Lowe's to pick up a new box. I simply re-enabled the GFCI for an hour
while I ran my errand.

Upon getting home, I broke out the old box, installed the new box, and started
to reinstall the new outlet. To my surprise, I got a shock. I'd forgotten to
disable the GFCI outlet this second time.

Question: shouldn't the GFCI have triggered? I was hardly on the verge of
electrocution but am somewhat surprised at the outcome.

Art
Art

I would think that it wouldn't trip if you got a line to neutral shock.
You just became a resistor. You probably didn't create a ground fault.
Try it again touching the hot leg and ground... Just kidding. You may
want to try it with a pig tail socket, just to be sure it is working.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 28, 4:48*pm, (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
I needed to replace an electrical outlet that very conveniently was downstream
of a GFCI outlet. *So I just pushed the 'test" switch on the GCFI and happily
went on my merry way.

I found that at the replacement location the box itself had broken (the
threaded portion of the top side was fractured) and thus there was a midstream
trip to Lowe's to pick up a new box. *I simply re-enabled the GFCI for an hour
while I ran my errand.

Upon getting home, I broke out the old box, installed the new box, and started
to reinstall the new outlet. *To my surprise, I got a shock. *I'd forgotten to
disable the GFCI outlet this second time.

Question: shouldn't the GFCI have triggered? *I was hardly on the verge of
electrocution but am somewhat surprised at the outcome.

Art
Art

You're using plastic boxes, right?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Joe wrote:

You're using plastic boxes, right?

Yes ... thankfully, or it would have been Bad News to destroy the old one and
get it out of the wall with no damage.

What is the underlying issue that raised your question?

Art

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Two things and just theorizing here. GFCIs usually trigger between 1
and 2ma. Also, they do take some amount of time. You got a tingle, I'm
assuming, which may have been less than the trip level current. It's
pretty hard to get 1ma from 120 volts without squeezing real hard,
breaking the skin to the tissue below or having some other conductor
like water involved. Water by itself is not that good a conductor, but
combined with salt on you skin and other impurities, it is a better
conductor. Also, you probably didn't hold on long; you probably pulled
back quickly.

GFCI question Wayne Whitney Home Repair 0 August 25th 08 05:45 PM
Another GFCI question; sorry! terry Home Repair 9 May 18th 08 12:43 AM
GFCI question DB Home Repair 6 March 30th 07 10:48 PM
GFCI Question? Dick Home Repair 9 December 3rd 05 03:27 PM
GFCI Question Robert Tamlyn Home Repair 2 August 8th 05 01:15 PM