Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default GFCI Question

On Feb 28, 4:48*pm, (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
I needed to replace an electrical outlet that very conveniently was downstream
of a GFCI outlet. *So I just pushed the 'test" switch on the GCFI and happily
went on my merry way.

I found that at the replacement location the box itself had broken (the
threaded portion of the top side was fractured) and thus there was a midstream
trip to Lowe's to pick up a new box. *I simply re-enabled the GFCI for an hour
while I ran my errand.

Upon getting home, I broke out the old box, installed the new box, and started
to reinstall the new outlet. *To my surprise, I got a shock. *I'd forgotten to
disable the GFCI outlet this second time.

Question: shouldn't the GFCI have triggered? *I was hardly on the verge of
electrocution but am somewhat surprised at the outcome.

Art
Art

You're using plastic boxes, right?

Joe