Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CAUTION: Rusty Tool Stand

"Norminn" wrote

Wise choice. Grinders (and most power tools )scare me, having nursed a
whole lot of different kinds of injuries. Read about a guy in Florida a
couple of years ago using a grinding wheel; wheel broke, fragment flew up
and hit him in the neck...he bled to death. Freakish.

I was at my doctor's clinic, waiting my turn. In comes this very tall big
man with more bleeding bandages on than I have seen any human being have.
The nurse asked him what happened. "Tangled with a grinder" was all he
said. In about five minutes, the nurse came out and said it would be a good
while before they could see me, and maybe I should come back the next day.
I did.

Hand grinders are the nastiest tool in the box, IMHO, after working with
them for 38 years now.

Steve

www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rusty Tool Stand

"Oren" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:49:34 -0500, RBM wrote:

You could bring it to a shop with a large sandblast cabinet

+1 on sandblasting...

Perhaps renting a portable unit, even.

I bought a Craftsman, probably near you in SE Las Vegas for $15 the other
day. It was even still full of sand.

Steve

www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Perhaps renting a portable unit, even.

Find a local sand-blasting company and see if you can "piggyback" on
a job. He's all set up somewhere doing a job, you drop the pedestal
off, and he gives it a swipe with the gun charging you just for time
and sand, with no setup cost.

Be sure to mention it will be ca$h. They love those.

Steve

www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote

Take all the loose stuff off with a wire brush and then use Rustoleum
which
will bond with any remaining oxidation and inhibit further rust. This
isn't
a planter in the living room, it's a tool. (-: Once you have a coat or
two
of good rust-inhibiting paint on it, no one but you will notice.

If it is like most of the vintage tools I have seen, it has lots of nooks
and crannies that are nearly impossible to effectively clean with even a
power grinder brush. Do it once, do it right. Or don't mess with it,
because you will be doing it again in the near future.

Steve

www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:06:57 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

"Norminn" wrote

Wise choice. Grinders (and most power tools )scare me, having nursed a
whole lot of different kinds of injuries. Read about a guy in Florida a
couple of years ago using a grinding wheel; wheel broke, fragment flew up
and hit him in the neck...he bled to death. Freakish.

I was at my doctor's clinic, waiting my turn. In comes this very tall big
man with more bleeding bandages on than I have seen any human being have.
The nurse asked him what happened. "Tangled with a grinder" was all he
said. In about five minutes, the nurse came out and said it would be a good
while before they could see me, and maybe I should come back the next day.
I did.

Hand grinders are the nastiest tool in the box, IMHO, after working with
them for 38 years now.

I would guess so! ...but why would you grind your hands?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2012 6:44 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:39:54 -0500, Norminn wrote:
At the hospital I was expecting some sort of high-tech solution, but
they wheeled out this ancient light / magnifying device, put some
numbing drops in my eye, and then used a broken piece of wooden stick
to dig the thing out.

Often use stain that shows up under UV light to spot corneal abrasions.
The "broken stick" was probably a cotton-tip applicator, the cotton
being the business end.

Something like that, I expect. It looked maybe 9" long, 1/4" wide - the
doc broke it in half to poke at my eye with, though.

I've never seen it used to poke an eye with. Normal use is to moisten
the cotton with sterile saline and then use it to lift out the f.b.,
usually with as little contact as possible with the eye itself. I've
also seen docs use a hypodermic needle to lift out f.b.s...requires that
the user have very good vision and a steady hand )

An abrasion can start "healing" to the lining of the eyelid. Ouch!

Yes, I think I remember the doctor mentioning that sometimes happening,
too.

I took care of a guy who turned on his lathe with allen wrench in
place...the lathe turned, hung up, and then let the allen wrench fly.
Busted the guy's safety glasses....there was blood coming from under his
lid when he got to my office, so shipped him out pronto to the ER. He
had glass in his eye, small abrasion to the inside of his lid and no
injury to the eye itself. Lucky as heck!

Ouch. I've heard of people doing that with drills many a time, but not
with a lathe.

Any foreign body needs prompt attention. If it can't be rinsed out
quickly, the eye should be covered until one gets to the doctor; patch
keeps the eye from moving and causing further abrasion.

I was probably lucky there - it was actually almost a week before I went
in. At first I thought I just had something trapped between the eye and
eyelid, so I kept rinsing my eye with eyewash (and I did keep getting
little bits and pieces of crap out). It was only after several days that
I noticed there was something embedded in my eyeball - it was black and
right over my pupil, so very difficult to see except with a strong light
(and although my vision was a little blurry on that side, I was putting
that down to the saline washes and irritation from the stuff that I was
occasionally still getting out).

And you got away without a vision problem??? Lucky you!

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
news
...but why would you grind your hands?

World's fastest nail file.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2012 8:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 16, 4:39 pm, wrote:
On 2/16/2012 2:51 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:57:56 +0000, Tegger wrote:
A guy I knew years ago was using a chisel without wearing goggles. He
ended up with a chip in his eye and had to go to emergency.

When removing the chip, the guy had to be AWAKE, EYES OPEN. The doctor
said, "Whatever you do, don't move your eyes or blink". So my friend was
forced to watch as the doctor dug around in the white of his eye to
remove the chip.

Yeah, I had it happen to me with a small piece of debris when using an
angle grinder last year - I had safety glasses on, but somehow whatever-
is-was still managed to get around them and into my eye.

At the hospital I was expecting some sort of high-tech solution, but they
wheeled out this ancient light / magnifying device, put some numbing
drops in my eye, and then used a broken piece of wooden stick to dig the
thing out.

Often use stain that shows up under UV light to spot corneal abrasions.
The "broken stick" was probably a cotton-tip applicator, the cotton
being the business end.

Apparently eyes heal really fast. I had some antibiotics for a couple of
days, and it was all back to normal within four or five.

Luckily it was a stone or a piece of paint or something of that nature -
apparently metal's worse because it can rust prior to removal and cause
all sorts of problems.

An abrasion can start "healing" to the lining of the eyelid. Ouch!
Rust can cause staining of the cornea, so needs prompt attention.

cheers

Jules

I took care of a guy who turned on his lathe with allen wrench in
place...the lathe turned, hung up, and then let the allen wrench fly.
Busted the guy's safety glasses....there was blood coming from under his
lid when he got to my office, so shipped him out pronto to the ER. He
had glass in his eye, small abrasion to the inside of his lid and no
injury to the eye itself. Lucky as heck!

Any foreign body needs prompt attention. If it can't be rinsed out
quickly, the eye should be covered until one gets to the doctor; patch
keeps the eye from moving and causing further abrasion.

Safety glasses saved my eye a few years back.

While I was building my deck, I used a couple of 3' bar clamps to hold
a railing on the posts and stepped back a few feet to see how it
looked. One of these clamps, but the 36" variety:

http://woodworker.com/images/ss/109-253.jpg

The bar end of the clamp was sticking out into the yard, and as I
walked back towards the deck, my "depth of focus" was on the railing.
The tiny end of the bar clamp was essentially invisible.

About 3 feet from the deck, my head snapped back as the bar clamp hit
square in the middle of the left lens, gouging the plastic. The lens
deflected the bar clamp upwards to where it took a divot out of my
forehead.

Based on where it hit the lens, I can only assume it would have pushed
my eyeball at least a few inches into my head had I not been wearing
the safety glasses.

Good God!!! It makes me cringe to read this ) I've always wanted to
try woodworking but haven't the nerve to use a power saw ... always have
visions of the blade flying out or something....sticking to making
quilts right now ) I have no nerve when it comes to injuries...once
got a big, fat oak sliver under my thumb nail whilst refinishing
furniture. Didn't have the nerve to pull it out, and since it was
diagonal it took only two or three days to fester enough to slide out
the side of my thumb )
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

The admonition to use eye-protection is a wise one.

A guy I knew years ago was using a chisel without wearing goggles. He ended
up with a chip in his eye and had to go to emergency.

When removing the chip, the guy had to be AWAKE, EYES OPEN. The doctor
said, "Whatever you do, don't move your eyes or blink". So my friend was
forced to watch as the doctor dug around in the white of his eye to remove
the chip.

Can you imagine? Can you?

Don't want to ... I recently began growing cataracts, so somewhere down
the line I'll be trying it out. Can't give general anesthetic for most
eye surgery because of possibility of nausea/vomiting afterward. Also
have an "excitement stage" going in and coming out of gen. anes., which
might cause a hit to the eye thrashing around or too much of a raise in
pressure. Normally not much to it, other that trying to move around a
little bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

stuff snipped

The only thing that has kept me from losing an eye is the fact that I've
been wearing eyeglasses since I was six years old. When I first
had the eyeglasses put on me, I looked around and exclaimed, "Wow,
that's where all that noise is coming from!" ^_^

TDD

I'm actually inclined to believe that in the long run, people who need
glasses will prevail in the gene pool because it's an adaptation that
confers a certain level of eye protection. I've hear things "ding" off my
glasses that otherwise might have taken out an eye.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message
" wrote in
news
...but why would you grind your hands?

World's fastest nail file.

Finger and bone file, too!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

About 3 feet from the deck, my head snapped back as the bar clamp hit
square in the middle of the left lens, gouging the plastic. The lens
deflected the bar clamp upwards to where it took a divot out of my
forehead.Based on where it hit the lens, I can only assume it would have
pushed my eyeball at least a few inches into my head had I not been wearing
the safety glasses.

OUCH!!!

I had a pediatrician girlfriend once who used to get a monthly magazine
called the "Morbidity and Mortality Weekly" - http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/

It described the outrageously varied number of ways people meet their maker
or get severely injured. You nearly made "the list."

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/dsworkPlaceEye/

Each day more than 2,000 U.S. workers receive some form of medical
treatment because of eye injuries sustained at work. More than 800,000
work-related eye injuries occur each year.

Injury sources we
a.. Scrap, waste, debris (34%)
b.. Chemicals or chemical products (14%)
c.. Person, plants, animals and minerals (9%)
d.. Parts and materials (6%)
e.. Welding torches (6%)
Welding torches? Ey, yi, yi!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Steve B" wrote:

If it is like most of the vintage tools I have seen, it has lots of nooks
and crannies that are nearly impossible to effectively clean with even a
power grinder brush.

I'm the OP.

Yeah - it's not a very "even" underside - I didn't think it necessary to
mention that having at it with a wire brush in a drill will be difficult. I
could post a picture as you suggested, but think I have enough options now to
deal with it (or to do nothing). It looks like any other small pedestal bench
grinding stand.

I'm willing to throw a few bucks at it, so maybe I'll price out beadblasting
at the local powdercoating establishment. I'm not about to purchase a
sandblaster, even used; much as having lots of tools rubs me the right way,
like most folks here, that might be a little overboard.

Art
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 4:39 pm, *wrote:
[...]

the side of my thumb )- Hide quoted text -

I was the "sliver removing king" in my house as the kids were growing
up.

Even the most squeamish of my 4 would allow me to dig and poke and -
yes - even cut, to get the slivers out.

They saw one infection caused by a sliver and knew that the brief
moments of pain to remove it were worth it.

My daughter, when she was 11, even let me push a glowing hot paper
clip through her nail to release the pressure from the blood after it
got caught in a door.

For 2 days she suffered in pain until she finally let me do it. She
screamed in fear when I first did it, but the relief was so
instantaneous that she started laughing through her tears.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

My daughter, when she was 11, even let me push a glowing hot paper
clip through her nail to release the pressure from the blood after it
got caught in a door.

For 2 days she suffered in pain until she finally let me do it. She
screamed in fear when I first did it, but the relief was so
instantaneous that she started laughing through her tears.

I had a nifty little drill for smashed fingernails. Don't know that I
would/could ever let anyone use one on me. I am a chicken about pain,
more of a chicken about inflicting pain on others....I was always
nervous while drilling nails that it would let go when the nail was
penetrated, but it always went well.

Poor souls from polishing department used to arrive at my office,
speechless, accompanied by supervisor. Skin color usually green to
gray, slightly sweaty. Stainless steel going about 90 mph after it
snags on the polishing belt had that effect on guys...never examined the
alleged injury; just put 'em on the gurney, handed 'em an ice bag and
left 'em alone for a while.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like you and I could team up, and write "emergency medicine for
dummies". Me, also, really totally hate to do that gooey medical stuff. One
of the reasons I try not to stop for traffic wrecks. I encounter a lot less
blood and yukk that way.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Norminn" wrote in message
news
I had a nifty little drill for smashed fingernails. Don't know that I
would/could ever let anyone use one on me. I am a chicken about pain,
more of a chicken about inflicting pain on others....I was always
nervous while drilling nails that it would let go when the nail was
penetrated, but it always went well.

Poor souls from polishing department used to arrive at my office,
speechless, accompanied by supervisor. Skin color usually green to
gray, slightly sweaty. Stainless steel going about 90 mph after it
snags on the polishing belt had that effect on guys...never examined the
alleged injury; just put 'em on the gurney, handed 'em an ice bag and
left 'em alone for a while.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2012 10:31 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message

stuff snipped

The only thing that has kept me from losing an eye is the fact that I've
been wearing eyeglasses since I was six years old. When I first
had the eyeglasses put on me, I looked around and exclaimed, "Wow,
that's where all that noise is coming from!" ^_^

TDD

I'm actually inclined to believe that in the long run, people who need
glasses will prevail in the gene pool because it's an adaptation that
confers a certain level of eye protection. I've hear things "ding" off my
glasses that otherwise might have taken out an eye.

--
Bobby G.

I have the worst vision among me and my eight siblings, we're all myopic
and I believe mine is because I was a drug(nicotine) baby
back when people didn't know any better than to expose a fetus or
infant to that horrid alkaloidal insecticide. I smoked for 9 months
then I was born and because of my immersion in that amnio-toxin, I'm
deathly allergic to tobacco smoke. It's like tear gas to me. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2012 01:11 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:35:54 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Arthur wrote in message

stuff snipped

Are there any established techniques for dealing with something that is
realistically too big to handle with normal techniques? I know I could

say
that it's in a dry environment now and probably will outlast me with doing
nothing, but I'd still like to get it reasonably cleaned up.

Take all the loose stuff off with a wire brush and then use Rustoleum which
will bond with any remaining oxidation and inhibit further rust. This isn't
a planter in the living room, it's a tool. (-: Once you have a coat or two
of good rust-inhibiting paint on it, no one but you will notice.

The patina will be gone.
Why is it that rust gets no respect?

'cause it never sleeps. What may be a charming patina one day can be
holes the next. Was just looking at my grandfather's old pickup truck
with my dad the other day - we'd "restored" it together maybe 15 years
ago; now he took the bed off again to replace the wood (I just made the
new floor from pine the last time because of budgetary concerns, he's
redoing it with red oak) and finds that three of four spring hangers are
rusted through. Screw patina, for something you're going to use,
nothing beats a nice coat of paint.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/17/2012 01:15 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
"Robert
"Arthur wrote in message

stuff snipped

Take all the loose stuff off with a wire brush and then use Rustoleum

which
will bond with any remaining oxidation and inhibit further rust. This

isn't
a planter in the living room, it's a tool. (-: Once you have a coat or two
of good rust-inhibiting paint on it, no one but you will notice.

Rustoleum uses fish oil to work its magic: In 1921, sea captain Robert
Fergusson noticed that raw fish oil spilled on rusty metal decks stopped
corrosion from spreading. The rest is, as they say, history.

--
Bobby G.

The fish oil is Rustoleum can also be a bit of a problem...

Every silver lining has a cloud . . .

When I was heavy into the Soap Box Derby world, we'd often race our
cars "in primer" while we were still fiddling with the bodies, The
final fancy paint job was saved until we were sure that we were done
with all bondo, fiberglass, etc. We'd often throw a quick coat of
primer on before a weekend race so that our competitors couldn't tell
what we'd done - no sense giving away our design secrets.

Anyway, a friend of mine grabbed a few cans of Rustoleum primer and
blasted a coat over a large portion of the car. A few weeks later he
took it to a auto paint shop to have it painted and the guy said he
couldn't get the paint to stick. He'd spray it on and it just woudn't
dry properly. He asked my friend what type of primer he had used.

When my friend told him that he had used Rustoleum primer, the guy
said that it would take some major work to get any other paint to
adhere because of the fish oil in the Rustoleum. My friend was in a
time crunch, so he went and bought a couple of cases of Rustoleum
paint and spray painted the car. He did such a fine job that people
were amazed when he told them that he painted it in his garage with
spray paint.

If you take your time and don't rush it, you can do wonders with spray
paint. Most people put too much on at once and it starts to sag. Nowhere
near - oops - senior moment - can't remember why I wrote "Nowhere
ear." )-: Wait. I remember. Nowhere near as good as powder coat but for a
lot of jobs, good enough.

At least I know why fish spend all that time in salt water and don't rust.
It's the fish oil! (-:

--
Bobby G.

Spray cans are great for the undersides of vehicles etc. They're going
to get scratched and beat up no matter what you do; just do it the first
time with semi-gloss black and then if something gets scratched, well
just wipe it down and hit it with the spray can again. Sure, after 20
years or so all the scratches showing through the paint might start
looking a little shabby, but if you actually care at that point at least
you won't have rust to deal with; much easier to strip paint and repaint
than to strip rust (and weld in patches, etc.) and repaint.

If I ever buy another new vehicle (doubtful, but still) I will put it up
on stands sometime shortly after buying it and hit everything with some
semi-gloss black Krylon or similar. The factory "paint" on a lot of
undercarriage bits is really not that good on most vehicles. Just
changed the diff oil on a 13 year old Jeep, had to cook the front cover
in the derusting tank overnight before I could paint it. I think the
original paint must have failed w/in two years.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In article , "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

A man can never have too many tools. There has been many a time when I
could have used a sand blaster or bead blaster cabinet. I just got a small
sandblaster the other day at a yard sale. $15. I am anxious to use it and
see how it does. When you need one, there is little to substitute for it,
and you get professional results.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:
...snipped...
'cause it never sleeps. What may be a charming patina one day can be
holes the next. Was just looking at my grandfather's old pickup truck
with my dad the other day - we'd "restored" it together maybe 15 years
ago; now he took the bed off again to replace the wood (I just made the
new floor from pine the last time because of budgetary concerns, he's
redoing it with red oak) and finds that three of four spring hangers are
rusted through. Screw patina, for something you're going to use,
nothing beats a nice coat of paint.

Nate, red oak probably won't last as long as the pine did without paint
or some kind of treatment. WHITE oak is what you want, it is fairly
rot resistant and will last a long time treated or not. Many or most
original wooden truck beds used white oak. A laminated form is still
used today for dry van and cargo box flooring. The laminated product is
not recommended for exposed applications like flatbeds or pickup bodies,
you need solid planking for that. Most exposed applications today use
hardwoods imported from South America or Asia. Be careful if you choose
pressure treated lumber, some of the compounds being used today will
accelerate corrosion of regular steel.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Portable tool stand idea spaco Metalworking 12 July 9th 10 12:24 PM
Ultimate tool stand Randy Woodworking 8 May 11th 06 04:47 AM
Laminating A MDF Tool Stand Mary Mlinar-Stephens Woodworking 2 March 24th 06 06:52 PM
Tool stand stability Gene T Woodworking 11 June 17th 05 07:08 PM
Tool Stand from Trashed Desk Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 7 February 2nd 05 04:16 PM