Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing pinhole leaks

I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?) directly
above. It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's something that a rag is
absorbing for now.

What's the best way to repair it? It's near a joist hanger strap and I
suspect the damage was causing by an errant hammer blow and not inherent
vice. But that's just a guess. For all I know, pinholes are about to
emerge throughout the house.

This is the first pinhole leak I've ever seen in the house. Every other
leak (and in a 70 year old house there have been a few) has been at
copper/iron union, a coupling or a valve.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2012 10:55 AM, Robert Green wrote:
I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?) directly
above. It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's something that a rag is
absorbing for now.

What's the best way to repair it? It's near a joist hanger strap and I
suspect the damage was causing by an errant hammer blow and not inherent
vice. But that's just a guess. For all I know, pinholes are about to
emerge throughout the house.

This is the first pinhole leak I've ever seen in the house. Every other
leak (and in a 70 year old house there have been a few) has been at
copper/iron union, a coupling or a valve.

--
Bobby G.

If the strap was zinc plated, it may be corrosion.

I had an air compressor tank with a pinhole in the bottom
Figgered I'd just braze it up.
When I hit it with the torch a whole section of the tank
disintegrated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?)
directly above. It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's
something that a rag is absorbing for now.

What's the best way to repair it? It's near a joist hanger strap and
I suspect the damage was causing by an errant hammer blow and not
inherent vice. But that's just a guess. For all I know, pinholes
are about to emerge throughout the house.

This is the first pinhole leak I've ever seen in the house. Every
other leak (and in a 70 year old house there have been a few) has
been at copper/iron union, a coupling or a valve.

Just cut the pipe at the leak, and solder a coupling onto the 2 ends.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/10/2012 12:55 PM, Robert Green wrote:
I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?) directly
above. It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's something that a rag is
absorbing for now.

What's the best way to repair it? It's near a joist hanger strap and I
suspect the damage was causing by an errant hammer blow and not inherent
vice. But that's just a guess. For all I know, pinholes are about to
emerge throughout the house.

As another said, if it's in contact w/ the hanger and the hanger isn't
copper or insulated, it could be galvanic action that caused it.

Also as another said, "best" way is to put in a connection--they make
ones w/o the center ridge so you can slide it onto the pipe past the cut
if there isn't end play in the middle of the run.

For just a pinhole of that size, over the years I've fixed several by
simply a solder patch into the hole--the last I recall has lasted some
20 years now. It was the result of the end of a sheetrock nail in touch
w/ the surface and galvanic action there plus a little movement of the
two relative to each other. Took about 15 years or so before it showed
up...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:55:38 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?) directly
above. It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's something that a rag is
absorbing for now.

I have always heard you can push a pencil in and break off the lead.
Never tried it though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 10, 12:55*pm, "Robert Green"
wrote:
I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?) directly
above. *It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's something that a rag is
absorbing for now.

What's the best way to repair it? *It's near a joist hanger strap and I
suspect the damage was causing by an errant hammer blow and not inherent
vice. *But that's just a guess. *For all I know, pinholes are about to
emerge throughout the house.

This is the first pinhole leak I've ever seen in the house. *Every other
leak (and in a 70 year old house there have been a few) has been at
copper/iron union, a coupling or a valve.

--
Bobby G.

Be aware that many water wells and domestic supplies have been
reported as being corrosive to copper. Be sure to consider that in
making repairs. If in doubt, solve the problem permanently by
replacing with PEX. It could be used as a small section repair for
copper with Sharkbite fittings.

Jofe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in :

Robert Green wrote:
I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?)
directly above. It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's
something that a rag is absorbing for now.

What's the best way to repair it? It's near a joist hanger strap and
I suspect the damage was causing by an errant hammer blow and not
inherent vice. But that's just a guess. For all I know, pinholes
are about to emerge throughout the house.

This is the first pinhole leak I've ever seen in the house. Every
other leak (and in a 70 year old house there have been a few) has
been at copper/iron union, a coupling or a valve.

Just cut the pipe at the leak, and solder a coupling onto the 2 ends.

Will work I'm sure.

Just to point out to others who may not be aware but may have a use for
some day, there also a "repair" coupling. The ID of it is the OD of the
copper pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/12 12:55 PM, Robert Green wrote:
I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?) directly
above. It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's something that a rag is
absorbing for now.

What's the best way to repair it? It's near a joist hanger strap and I
suspect the damage was causing by an errant hammer blow and not inherent
vice. But that's just a guess. For all I know, pinholes are about to
emerge throughout the house.

This is the first pinhole leak I've ever seen in the house. Every other
leak (and in a 70 year old house there have been a few) has been at
copper/iron union, a coupling or a valve.

--
Bobby G.

A temporary fix would be a piece of hose clamped over the leak with
a hose clamp.
Remember, nothing is more permanent than temporary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Robert Green wrote:
I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?) directly
above. It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's something that a rag is
absorbing for now.

What's the best way to repair it? It's near a joist hanger strap and I
suspect the damage was causing by an errant hammer blow and not inherent
vice. But that's just a guess. For all I know, pinholes are about to
emerge throughout the house.

This is the first pinhole leak I've ever seen in the house. Every other
leak (and in a 70 year old house there have been a few) has been at
copper/iron union, a coupling or a valve.

--
Bobby G.

Assuming it is errant damage or defect as you describe, and not a sign
of some kind of corrosion problem, take a piece of rubber hose, such as
automotive heater hose, about an inch long, slit it lengthwise, and put
it around the pipe so it covers the pinhole. The slit should be 180
degrees away from the pinhole. Put a hose clamp over the hose & tighten.
I repaired a similar pinhole this same way over 10 years ago and it's
holding still.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman " wrote in
:

[...]

A documented Red Green philosophy.

"It's only temporary...unless it works."

Proof:

http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress...17b06ad1f0.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Bob F" wrote in :

Robert Green wrote:
[...]

RG I just used one of these to replace a section of copper water pipe that
had a pin hole leak. Due to our water from Hell suplier. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2012 6:04 PM, Joe wrote:
On Feb 10, 12:55 pm, "Robert
wrote:
[...]

Been told that about my well water but last pinhole leak was 12 years
ago. I believe I read that copper is good for 60 years and op is past
that. From what I have read, my next pipe, if I live that long, will be
PEX.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cut out a long section of the offending pipe and inspect the inside.

If theres sign of more than one pinhole leak its time to replumb your
home

The hazard is what if a leak begins when your not home? a pinhole
could turn into a flood
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?) directly
above. It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's something that a rag is
absorbing for now.

What's the best way to repair it? It's near a joist hanger strap and I
suspect the damage was causing by an errant hammer blow and not inherent
vice. But that's just a guess. For all I know, pinholes are about to
emerge throughout the house.

This is the first pinhole leak I've ever seen in the house. Every other
leak (and in a 70 year old house there have been a few) has been at
copper/iron union, a coupling or a valve.

There has been a spate of leaking copper pipes over the last number
of years - agressive water and inferior pipe. I'l bet it is the
red-stripe Type M pipe. Too thin, and too cheap for the job. If so,
be ready for a major job. If the same pipe is used throughout the pipe
and it has developped one pinhole that you are aware of, there may
well be more - and more on the way. Temorary repair is drain, clean,
flux and solder. Can be a REAL ;ain to get drained to the point it is
not just a boiler when you apply the torch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2012 12:55 PM, Robert Green wrote:
I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?) directly
above. It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's something that a rag is
absorbing for now.

What's the best way to repair it? It's near a joist hanger strap and I
suspect the damage was causing by an errant hammer blow and not inherent
vice. But that's just a guess. For all I know, pinholes are about to
emerge throughout the house.

This is the first pinhole leak I've ever seen in the house. Every other
leak (and in a 70 year old house there have been a few) has been at
copper/iron union, a coupling or a valve.

--
Bobby G.

I have repaired leaks in copper pipe with solder wick. It a copper braid
that soaks up solder from circuit boards but can be used for
lots of other things. I wrap the braid around the leaking area after
cleaning it with sand cloth, secure the braid with a bit of small
gauge copper wire like #22 and use rosin core solder which soaks into
the solder wick and adheres to the pipe. You can probably find it at
your local Radio Shack store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desoldering

http://www.chemtronics.com/products/...r=2&m=2&id=420

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?) directly
above. It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's something that a rag is
absorbing for now.

What's the best way to repair it? It's near a joist hanger strap and I
suspect the damage was causing by an errant hammer blow and not inherent
vice. But that's just a guess. For all I know, pinholes are about to
emerge throughout the house.

This is the first pinhole leak I've ever seen in the house. Every other
leak (and in a 70 year old house there have been a few) has been at
copper/iron union, a coupling or a valve.

--
Bobby G.

Patch it and worry about it later or cut a section out and give it a
good looking over to see if it's something to worry about and maybe time
to do some real serious plumbing.
Some water chemistry,
http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/publicat...rcorrosion.pdf
You can do some testing and determine if your water is corrosive or
scaling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
[...]

Certainly not the desired outcome!!!! The strap is a few inches over, but
just in the right place for a badly placed hammer blow to skin the pipe.
I'm going to clean it up and take some photos.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?)
directly above. It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's
something that a rag is absorbing for now.

What's the best way to repair it? It's near a joist hanger strap and
I suspect the damage was causing by an errant hammer blow and not
inherent vice. But that's just a guess. For all I know, pinholes
are about to emerge throughout the house.

This is the first pinhole leak I've ever seen in the house. Every
other leak (and in a 70 year old house there have been a few) has
been at copper/iron union, a coupling or a valve.

Just cut the pipe at the leak, and solder a coupling onto the 2 ends.

That's a great solution for someone with better soldering skills than I
have. (-: Mike's response has got me wondering if perhaps the pipe is just
a few copper atoms thick at that point. I'll do more investigating.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Bob F" wrote in :

Robert Green wrote:
[...]

I know that our water supply has been blamed for pinholing throughout the DC
area. I wish I knew whether this was from mechanical damage or internal
corrosion. Cutting out a small section of pipe will probably tell me that,
but I am tempted to use a non-soldering fix for now and begin replacing pipe
only if another pinhole pops up. Exposed ceiling, unfinished basement - not
that much risk. This pipe had a foam sleeve until just recently. I wonder
if that might have helped advance corrosion?

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

Good points. It's in an area not touching anything directly but was
foam-sleeved for the last 15 years or so. Something ferrous could have been
trapped inside the foam.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I noticed a small spot of water on the basement floor this morning and
looked up to see a tiny pinhole leak in the copper pipe (tube?) directly
above. It leaks a droplet every few hours, so it's something that a rag

is
absorbing for now.

I have always heard you can push a pencil in and break off the lead.
Never tried it though.

When I have nothing but a pencil left to try, perhaps I will. (-: The
pinhole is so small I don't even think I CAN get a pencil lead in there.
We're talking two or three drops a day - just enough to leave a mark on the
floor. You do win the "most unusual solution" award, though. g

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Jofe. I have read a number of articles in the local newspapers
about corrosive effects of the water supply and pinholes. I think I will
fix this one with a hose clamp and a rubber strip for now. If and when a
second one appears I will consider replumbing the "hole" shebang with PEX.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
On 2/10/2012 6:04 PM, Joe wrote:

stuff snipped

Be aware that many water wells and domestic supplies have been
reported as being corrosive to copper. Be sure to consider that in
making repairs. If in doubt, solve the problem permanently by
replacing with PEX. It could be used as a small section repair for
copper with Sharkbite fittings.

Jofe

Been told that about my well water but last pinhole leak was 12 years
ago. I believe I read that copper is good for 60 years and op is past
that. From what I have read, my next pipe, if I live that long, will be
PEX.

The house is 70 years old but the copper is newer, I think. All the fixture
in the original bathroom use galvanized iron pipe, and I assume that's what
was here originally. I believe this pipe is perhaps 40 years old. That's
still old enough to start having problems.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
cut out a long section of the offending pipe and inspect the inside.

I know that's the *right* thing to do.

If theres sign of more than one pinhole leak its time to replumb your
home

I agree with that assessment.

The hazard is what if a leak begins when your not home? a pinhole
could turn into a flood

I have a "Floodstop" electric shutoff valve that would turn off the main
supply to the house once water got onto one of the flood sensors. If I
didn't, I would have already cut out and inspected that section of pipe.
All the info posted here is sending me down with some brillo and my
macrolens camera to see if I can see any external mechanical damage to the
pipe.

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
On 2/10/12 12:55 PM, Robert Green wrote:

stuff snipped

This is the first pinhole leak I've ever seen in the house. Every other
leak (and in a 70 year old house there have been a few) has been at
copper/iron union, a coupling or a valve.

--
Bobby G.

A temporary fix would be a piece of hose clamped over the leak with
a hose clamp.
Remember, nothing is more permanent than temporary.

I think we have a winner. A friend brought over a professional clamp -
rubber lined metal halves that screw together over the pipe but there's not
enough room for it to fit. A rubber strip and a hoseclamp will, though.

Thanks!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article ,
Robert Green wrote:
[...]

Great idea but you'll have to share your "No Bull" prize in "easy plumbing
fixes" with Dean. (-:

Thanks! My doctors seem to be telling me I'll be dead in 10 years, so it's
a perfect fit.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

How do I tell by inspection? Does all type M have a red stripe? Has it
been in use for over 30 years?

If so,
be ready for a major job. If the same pipe is used throughout the pipe
and it has developped one pinhole that you are aware of, there may
well be more - and more on the way. Temorary repair is drain, clean,
flux and solder. Can be a REAL ;ain to get drained to the point it is
not just a boiler when you apply the torch.

I am going with the Dean/Larry hose clamp repair for the moment. If any
other leaks appear, I know what's going to be involved. Damn that real
estate bubble - this house was supposed to have been sold years ago.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:18:13 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:55:04 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:51:34 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:34:26 -0500, wrote:

Temorary repair is drain, clean,
flux and solder. Can be a REAL ;ain to get drained to the point it is
not just a boiler when you apply the torch.

If the pipe won't drain or you cannot get the water out, drill a
1/16-inch hole in the pipe for the drain (low point). Solder the leak
and the intentionally made drain hole.

It works....

That will work but if not practical pr won't drain, cut the tubing,
clean and flux, slip on a coupling and solder.

Be sure to use an approved solder, not some old lead stuff that will
cause your family to go cuckoo over the next three centuries. I'm
sure you will apply for a permit and have it inspected too.

Good points.

Safety is important, so I advocate steel-toed boots be worn.

How about a sou-wester over a hard hat while you are at it.

Well, I will be wearing goggles, at least. I've learned the hard way to put
them on whenever working on anything overhead in an old house, especially
one built during WWII where the paper shortage of 1941 made them skip the
building paper between the floors step. Dust and debris are constantly
raining down in the basement. When I removed the uppermost suspended
ceiling (there were two put in to conceal termite damage) there was about a
1/16" thick layer of plaster dust on each and every tile.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting solution. I've got lots of solder wick around. I prefer it to
the vacuum pumps.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 6:32*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:34:26 -0500, wrote:

Temorary repair is drain, clean,
flux and solder. Can be a REAL ;ain to get drained to the point it is
not just a boiler when you apply the torch.

If the pipe won't drain or you cannot get the water out, drill a
1/16-inch hole in the pipe for the drain (low point). *Solder the leak
and the intentionally made drain hole.

It works....

That's a good idea. *I suspect, though, if I am going to be soldering, I'll
end up cutting out a section of the pipe for inspection to determine how
thin the pipe wall has become. *Now I am REALLY hoping on my next trip
downstairs that I see clear evidence of external physical damage. *On the
plus side, I'll have some copper to sell to finance replumbing with PEX if
it comes to that.

--
Bobby G.

Plumber told me that cost of revealing pipes and repairing the reveals
are more than the plumbing itself.

My last pinhole leak was in the ceramic covered wall behind a powder
room toilet. Bit of a nightmare as I had plumber repair the T joint
that was leaking and he had to remove toilet. I patched wall and
replaced toilet and never having done before, broke the toilet. New
toilet installed - by plumber this time. Jostling around in the area
showed leak in sink fixture which I ended up replacing. One little
pinhole cost me hundreds of dollars and this was a dozen years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:

-snip-

Well, I will be wearing goggles, at least. I've learned the hard way to put
them on whenever working on anything overhead in an old house, especially
one built during WWII where the paper shortage of 1941 made them skip the
building paper between the floors step. Dust and debris are constantly
raining down in the basement. When I removed the uppermost suspended
ceiling (there were two put in to conceal termite damage) there was about a
1/16" thick layer of plaster dust on each and every tile.

My house is about 120. I wear a hard hat with a clear visor. Keeps
the crap out of my eyes & hair and keeps that 30d nail that some twit
drove though the joist 50 years ago from piercing my scalp. BTDT - it
hurts.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mr. Austerity" "PrintMo.Money " wrote in message
. ..
Robert Green wrote:

stuff snipped

Patch it and worry about it later or cut a section out and give it a
good looking over to see if it's something to worry about and maybe time
to do some real serious plumbing.
Some water chemistry,
http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/publicat...rcorrosion.pdf
You can do some testing and determine if your water is corrosive or
scaling.

That's the plan - patch and monitor. If another one appears, then it's cut
and inspect - and perhaps replace the whole damn houseworth of copper pipe.

--
Bobby G.