Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Repairing pinhole leaks

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:34:26 -0500, wrote:

Temorary repair is drain, clean,
flux and solder. Can be a REAL ;ain to get drained to the point it is
not just a boiler when you apply the torch.

If the pipe won't drain or you cannot get the water out, drill a
1/16-inch hole in the pipe for the drain (low point). Solder the leak
and the intentionally made drain hole.

It works....

That's a good idea. I suspect, though, if I am going to be soldering, I'll
end up cutting out a section of the pipe for inspection to determine how
thin the pipe wall has become. Now I am REALLY hoping on my next trip
downstairs that I see clear evidence of external physical damage. On the
plus side, I'll have some copper to sell to finance replumbing with PEX if
it comes to that.

--
Bobby G.