Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Repairing pinhole leaks

On Feb 11, 6:32*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:34:26 -0500, wrote:

Temorary repair is drain, clean,
flux and solder. Can be a REAL ;ain to get drained to the point it is
not just a boiler when you apply the torch.

If the pipe won't drain or you cannot get the water out, drill a
1/16-inch hole in the pipe for the drain (low point). *Solder the leak
and the intentionally made drain hole.

It works....

That's a good idea. *I suspect, though, if I am going to be soldering, I'll
end up cutting out a section of the pipe for inspection to determine how
thin the pipe wall has become. *Now I am REALLY hoping on my next trip
downstairs that I see clear evidence of external physical damage. *On the
plus side, I'll have some copper to sell to finance replumbing with PEX if
it comes to that.

--
Bobby G.

Plumber told me that cost of revealing pipes and repairing the reveals
are more than the plumbing itself.

My last pinhole leak was in the ceramic covered wall behind a powder
room toilet. Bit of a nightmare as I had plumber repair the T joint
that was leaking and he had to remove toilet. I patched wall and
replaced toilet and never having done before, broke the toilet. New
toilet installed - by plumber this time. Jostling around in the area
showed leak in sink fixture which I ended up replacing. One little
pinhole cost me hundreds of dollars and this was a dozen years ago.