Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to make a wooden lampshade

Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

I have to say that is pretty amazing. Well worth the 3 minutes or so to
watch.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 7:12*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

Take a big block of wood and cut away everything that doesnt look like
a lampshade

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

Fascinating
Too bad that you need to waste so much wood for a single shade.

Makes me wonder if it would not be possible to use a laser to cut multiple
cylinders out of that piece, and then make a collection of shades of
different diameters.

Also was the piece of wood green or dried ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2012 6:12 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

There was another really cool video that showed up after that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ_AwFSWIPU

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 4:12*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

How asinine.

This is incredibly expensive, stupidly fragile, and a wood pattern
could have been printed on a more standard shade easily.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Attila.Iskander wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well,
interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

Fascinating
Too bad that you need to waste so much wood for a single shade.

He has another video wherein he makes a set of six toothpicks out of another
block.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 08:21:04 -0800 (PST), mike
wrote:

On Feb 9, 4:12*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

How asinine.

This is incredibly expensive, stupidly fragile, and a wood pattern
could have been printed on a more standard shade easily.

Obviously, you are not a woodworker. You could not be more wrong. You
can also buy lamp shades at Wal Mart.

Some day I may have a lathe and I'd like to make something like that
As for expensive, the wood may have been free. I've had and burned
many logs like that. The only cost is a penny or two for the
electricity turning the lathe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 9, 4:12 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

How asinine.

This is incredibly expensive, stupidly fragile, and a wood pattern
could have been printed on a more standard shade easily.

Obviously, you are not a woodworker. You could not be more wrong. You
can also buy lamp shades at Wal Mart.

Some day I may have a lathe and I'd like to make something like that
As for expensive, the wood may have been free. I've had and burned
many logs like that. The only cost is a penny or two for the
electricity turning the lathe.

Ed,

Before you read this. That is not bubble gum or tobacco in my cheek. It is
my tongue.

How can you be so ungreen? A valuable firewood log was destroyed to
satisfy one man's vanity!

A cheap Chinese made shade would have done the same job.

Can we filter out gmail posters?

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 20:14:17 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

Ed,

Before you read this. That is not bubble gum or tobacco in my cheek. It is
my tongue.

How can you be so ungreen? A valuable firewood log was destroyed to
satisfy one man's vanity!

A cheap Chinese made shade would have done the same job.

I'm not ungreen at all. I firmly believe that materials no longer
needed should be recycled or re purposed. The best lampshades are
made by stretching foreskins over a used popsicle stick frame. They
give the bulb a nice soft glow too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ed,

Before you read this. *That is not bubble gum or tobacco in my cheek. *It is
my tongue.

How can you be so ungreen? *A valuable firewood log was destroyed *to
satisfy one man's vanity!

A cheap Chinese made shade would have done the same job.

I'm not ungreen at all. *I firmly believe that materials no longer
needed should be recycled or re purposed. *The best lampshades are
made by stretching foreskins over a used popsicle stick frame. *They
give the bulb a nice soft glow too.

Did the cutter repurpose all the wood chips?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 9, 4:12 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well,
interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

How asinine.

This is incredibly expensive, stupidly fragile, and a wood pattern
could have been printed on a more standard shade easily.

Obviously, you are not a woodworker. You could not be more wrong. You
can also buy lamp shades at Wal Mart.

Some day I may have a lathe and I'd like to make something like that
As for expensive, the wood may have been free. I've had and burned
many logs like that. The only cost is a penny or two for the
electricity turning the lathe.

From the video we can't tell whether he wasted valuable energy or whether
the lathe was pedel-powered. (Think of the poor people in darkest Africa!)

Some folks like to grouse before all the facts are in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 9, 4:12 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well,
interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

How asinine.

This is incredibly expensive, stupidly fragile, and a wood pattern
could have been printed on a more standard shade easily.

Obviously, you are not a woodworker. *You could not be more wrong. You
can also buy lamp shades at Wal Mart.

Some day I may have a lathe and I'd like to make something like that
As for expensive, the wood may have been free. *I've had and burned
many logs like that. *The only cost is a penny or two for the
electricity turning the lathe.

From the video we can't tell whether he wasted valuable energy or whether
the lathe was pedel-powered. (Think of the poor people in darkest Africa!)

Some folks like to grouse before all the facts are in.- Hide quoted text -

He probably knows that someone would raise objections and therefore
salvaged every chip, ground them up andprocessed into hand made
paper...

Or is using them to power his car via wood gas generator...

Or has apologized to the gods of the forest by planting 2 acres of
trees...

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 9, 4:12 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well,
interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

How asinine.

This is incredibly expensive, stupidly fragile, and a wood pattern
could have been printed on a more standard shade easily.

Obviously, you are not a woodworker. *You could not be more wrong. You
can also buy lamp shades at Wal Mart.

Some day I may have a lathe and I'd like to make something like that
As for expensive, the wood may have been free. *I've had and burned
many logs like that. *The only cost is a penny or two for the
electricity turning the lathe.

From the video we can't tell whether he wasted valuable energy or whether
the lathe was pedel-powered. (Think of the poor people in darkest Africa!)

Some folks like to grouse before all the facts are in.- Hide quoted text -

The real waste was by me getting fascinated by all the U-tube vids and
wasted 3 hours watching them last night when I could have been
pedaling a bike to charge up a battery.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

Or has apologized to the gods of the forest by planting 2 acres of
trees...

Sort of "Cut and Trade"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 9, 4:12*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

How asinine.

This is incredibly expensive, stupidly fragile, and a wood pattern
could have been printed on a more standard shade easily.

Obviously, you are not a woodworker. *You could not be more wrong. You
can also buy lamp shades at Wal Mart.

Some day I may have a lathe and I'd like to make something like that
As for expensive, the wood may have been free. *I've had and burned
many logs like that. *The only cost is a penny or two for the
electricity turning the lathe.

I'm not talking about the cost of the electricity. I'm talking about
the cost of the hourly rate of a woodturner skilled enough to turn
wood down to light-permeable thicknesses for hours on end! Stupid,
stupid, stupid (the endeavor, not you).

The cost of the lathe would be a secondary issue. The cost of
electricity is beside the point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 9, 4:12*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

How asinine.

This is incredibly expensive, stupidly fragile, and a wood pattern
could have been printed on a more standard shade easily.

Obviously, you are not a woodworker. *You could not be more wrong. You
can also buy lamp shades at Wal Mart.

Some day I may have a lathe and I'd like to make something like that
As for expensive, the wood may have been free. *I've had and burned
many logs like that. *The only cost is a penny or two for the
electricity turning the lathe.

I'm not talking about the cost of the electricity. I'm talking about
the cost of the hourly rate of a woodturner skilled enough to turn
wood down to light-permeable thicknesses for hours on end! Stupid,
stupid, stupid (the endeavor, not you).

Yeah, I hear you. I had to quit fishing because the damn fish was so
expensive. I couldn't afford my 'relaxing' pills and still eat
fish that cost $500/lb once I figured in my hourly wage.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 9, 4:12*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

A more apt analogy would be raising fish in a fish tank for months,
rather than fishing or going to to store.

Making a lampshade on a lathe is a rectal tonsillectomy. It's going
about things the very hard way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Yeah, I hear you. I had to quit fishing because the damn fish was so
expensive. I couldn't afford my 'relaxing' pills and still eat
fish that cost $500/lb once I figured in my hourly wage.

You actually EAT the fish you catch? You actually CATCH fish when you go
"fishing?"

I thought the purpose of a fishing trip was to drink beer!

Shows what I know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:33:02 -0800 (PST), mike
wrote:

[...]

I repeat, you are obviously not a woodworker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 16:01:35 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Attila.Iskander wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well,
interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

Fascinating
Too bad that you need to waste so much wood for a single shade.

He has another video wherein he makes a set of six toothpicks out of another
block.

Aren't toothpicks made by turning trees in a lathe?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:46:44 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Harry K wrote:

Or has apologized to the gods of the forest by planting 2 acres of
trees...

Sort of "Cut and Trade"?

That would make AlBore smile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 6:20*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A more apt analogy would be raising fish in a fish tank for months,
rather than fishing or going to to store.

Making a lampshade on a lathe is a rectal tonsillectomy. *It's going
about things the very hard way.

I repeat, you are obviously not a woodworker.

Oh brother. You've obviously never heard of veneer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:49:20 -0800 (PST), mike
wrote:

On Feb 10, 6:20*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A more apt analogy would be raising fish in a fish tank for months,
rather than fishing or going to to store.

Making a lampshade on a lathe is a rectal tonsillectomy. *It's going
about things the very hard way.

I repeat, you are obviously not a woodworker.

Oh brother. You've obviously never heard of veneer.

Sure I have, but this is not the place to use it. If you were a
woodworker, you'd understand. The simplest way would be to go to Wal
Mart and buy a friggin shade, but that is not the point is it?

When I wanted a stand for my new TV, my choices were easy. Buy one
for about $100, or make one for $150 in materials and 15+ hours labor.
I'm very proud of the stand I made. One of a kind, solid oak.

Want to hear about the cutting boards I made for gifts? The boxes?
The trivets? All could have been bought for less money, less energy,
less time. All would have been boring too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 10, 6:20 pm, Ed wrote:
[...]

mike is right.

Da Vinci was wasting so much time painting he finally had to give up and
do something useful. He became a productive member of society as a janitor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:06:57 -0800 (PST), mike
wrote:

Who wants to pay $1000+ for a 70's looking lampshade, when you can get
the same ugly lampshade for a fraction of the price?

Not me. But being able to make it is something you will never know
about. Monetary value is not a consideration for the maker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 5:12:59 AM UTC-7, HeyBub wrote:
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

Does he not know that he can go to walmart and pay 99cents for a shade that was built by Malaysian orphans in a sweat shop from materials acquired from a toxic borrow pit in Mongolia!

Instead he took this perfectly good piece of wood that could have rotted away in a forest!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 11:55:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 5:12:59 AM UTC-7, HeyBub wrote:
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDW...layer_embedded

Does he not know that he can go to walmart and pay 99cents for a shade that was built by Malaysian orphans in a sweat shop from materials acquired from a toxic borrow pit in Mongolia!

Instead he took this perfectly good piece of wood that could have rotted away in a forest!

Do you even know anything about HeyBub? He had medical conditions and
now may be deceased. So! He will not answer your question that you
never asked!

--
Hillary for Prison 2016