Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lack of suitable joint spacers is driving me crazy (my 1stflagstone walkway)

Here is a picture of my current (lousy) attempt at uniform spacers
between flagstones to be set into mortar tomorrow:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478342.jpg

The board in that picture, placed with the tall side up (instead of flat
as it is in that picture), is still too thick.

Q: What do YOU use to space flagstone while you're cutting the last piece
and when you start mortaring them down?
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478368.jpg

Note: It matters greatly even a little bit because the errors add up over
the 20 or so pieces and you're cutting the last (middle) piece to fit.
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478407.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote:
Here is a picture of my current (lousy) attempt at uniform spacers
between flagstones to be set into mortar tomorrow:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478342.jpg

The board in that picture, placed with the tall side up (instead of
flat as it is in that picture), is still too thick.

Q: What do YOU use to space flagstone while you're cutting the last
piece and when you start mortaring them down?
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478368.jpg

It doesn't appear thet you are laying flagstones; it appears that you are
cutting stones into tiles and laying tiles. NP, it is your walk.

I've never done flags but I have done considerable Saltillo tile (which is
pretty irregular). I space them with my fingers and eyeballs.
_______________

Note: It matters greatly even a little bit because the errors add up
over the 20 or so pieces and you're cutting the last (middle) piece
to fit. http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478407.jpg

Lay the others then cut the last to fit the space.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 8:04*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Chuck Banshee wrote:
Here is a picture of my current (lousy) attempt at uniform spacers
between flagstones to be set into mortar tomorrow:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478342.jpg

The board in that picture, placed with the tall side up (instead of
flat as it is in that picture), is still too thick.

Q: What do YOU use to space flagstone while you're cutting the last
piece and when you start mortaring them down?
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478368.jpg

It doesn't appear thet you are laying flagstones; it appears that you are
cutting stones into tiles and laying tiles. *NP, it is your walk.

Kind of what I was thinking. When I think flagstone, I think
irregular shaped stones set about about 3/4" to an inch apart.
If I wanted a finished, precise look, I'd be using a paving
product already cut. It would be one hell of a lot less work
and the result would look a lot better.

I've never done flags but I have done considerable Saltillo tile (which is
pretty irregular). *I space them with my fingers and eyeballs.
_______________

Note: It matters greatly even a little bit because the errors add up
over the 20 or so pieces and you're cutting the last (middle) piece
to fit.http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478407.jpg

Lay the others then cut the last to fit the space.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote:
Here is a picture of my current (lousy) attempt at uniform spacers
between flagstones to be set into mortar tomorrow:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478342.jpg

The board in that picture, placed with the tall side up (instead of
flat as it is in that picture), is still too thick.

Q: What do YOU use to space flagstone while you're cutting the last
piece and when you start mortaring them down?
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478368.jpg

Note: It matters greatly even a little bit because the errors add up
over the 20 or so pieces and you're cutting the last (middle) piece
to fit. http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478407.jpg

You can get dowel rods, round or square, in almost any width from 1/16th to
1 inch or more at the box store. I used 4 of 3/8ths-inch to lay ceramic
tile. They worked out FAR better than the little foam crosses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2012 6:35 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Chuck Banshee wrote:
Here is a picture of my current (lousy) attempt at uniform spacers
between flagstones to be set into mortar tomorrow:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478342.jpg

The board in that picture, placed with the tall side up (instead of
flat as it is in that picture), is still too thick.

Q: What do YOU use to space flagstone while you're cutting the last
piece and when you start mortaring them down?
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478368.jpg

Note: It matters greatly even a little bit because the errors add up
over the 20 or so pieces and you're cutting the last (middle) piece
to fit. http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478407.jpg

You can get dowel rods, round or square, in almost any width from 1/16th to
1 inch or more at the box store. I used 4 of 3/8ths-inch to lay ceramic
tile. They worked out FAR better than the little foam crosses.

you don't need a spacer for the entire joint. you can cut 1" pieces of
your pencils and use them on end, one near each end of the joint.

i've never seen any pro use spacers with flagstone; they're usually too
irregularly shaped to use spacers. you appear to be making tiles with
your flag, so approach this the way a tiler would, not a flag layer
would. you can get plastic X spacers in the tile section in various sizes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Even though you're cutting them straight, it seems strange to me to
worry too much about, or even want to, get them perfectly spaced when
you're using random sized stones. Maybe just eyeball them and cut the
last one AFTER you have all the others in the mortar... Just a thought.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 08:31:43 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

you appear to be making tiles with your flag,
so approach this the way a tiler would

Up until you said that, I hadn't realized that you are correct.

My flagstones edges are cut so evenly that, in effect, they're tile.

I was just trying to mimic the original cuts.

Maybe I misread what the original cuts were ... so .... I'll snap a
picture or two of the originals and ask you if they were laid as tile or
as flagstone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:56:33 +0000, Chuck Banshee wrote:

Maybe I misread what the original cuts were ... so .... I'll snap a
picture or two of the originals and ask you if they were laid as tile or
as flagstone.

Maybe I mis-interpreted the straight cuts and even joints in the original
flagstone step that I am trying to mimic?

Would you say this closeup of the original flagstone shows they laid it
as "tile" or "flagstone"?
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7483816.jpg

All I was trying to do was mimic the same style:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7483815.jpg

Any suggestions before I proceed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2012 2:28 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:56:33 +0000, Chuck Banshee wrote:

Maybe I misread what the original cuts were ... so .... I'll snap a
picture or two of the originals and ask you if they were laid as tile or
as flagstone.

Maybe I mis-interpreted the straight cuts and even joints in the original
flagstone step that I am trying to mimic?

Would you say this closeup of the original flagstone shows they laid it
as "tile" or "flagstone"?
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7483816.jpg

All I was trying to do was mimic the same style:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7483815.jpg

Any suggestions before I proceed?

you misunderstood. the material is flagstone. usually, flagstone is laid
in large uneven chunks.

http://www.sitepalace.com/lazygardens/landscape/atrium_starting4b_small.jpg

you're cutting your flagstone into very regular pieces, to LOOK like
tile. in that case, you're trying to get very even grout joints,
something that is not usual with most flagstone installations.

so, think like a tiler rather than a normal flagstone layer. use tile
spacers. you can purchase plastic tile spacers that are very regularly
sized, or you can make your own. if the pencil you're using is the size
joint you want, then just cut a couple up into small pieces and use them
on end.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 14:50:41 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

you misunderstood. the material is flagstone. usually, flagstone is laid
in large uneven chunks.

http://www.sitepalace.com/lazygardens/landscape/

atrium_starting4b_small.jpg

Ah, I see.

I'm laying flagstone 'as if it were' tile!

Tile = Regular sized, regular pattern, & regular spacing
Flagstone = Irregular sized, irregular pattern, and irregular spacing

I bought a another twenty Home Depot pencils to use as spacers for my
'tile-like' flagstone layout.

But what was the ORIGINAL layout?
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7483816.jpg

Were they laying that original stuff as flagstone or as tile?
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7483815.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:56:33 +0000, Chuck Banshee wrote:

Maybe I misread what the original cuts were ... so .... I'll snap a
picture or two of the originals and ask you if they were laid as
tile or as flagstone.

Maybe I mis-interpreted the straight cuts and even joints in the
original flagstone step that I am trying to mimic?

Would you say this closeup of the original flagstone shows they laid
it as "tile" or "flagstone"?
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7483816.jpg

Yes, they have been cut so they have straight edges.

Any suggestions before I proceed?

Continue as you are doing.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 07:27:50 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

Would you say this closeup of the original flagstone shows they laid it
as "tile" or "flagstone"?
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7483816.jpg

Yes, they have been cut so they have straight edges.

Thanks. I've never done this before ... and I'm on my own ... so ... I
do very much appreciate the advice!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 03:33:23 +0000, Chuck Banshee wrote:
I'm laying flagstone 'as if it were' tile!

Actually, today, after cutting all the sandstone to shape (as tile), I
laid out the remaining pieces as a (very rough) flagstone walkway.

The walkway needs quite a bit more work (it's just plopped down on the
grass at the moment) - but there's a clear difference in that there's
absolutely no need for spacers.

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7493798.jpg

So, thanks for the advice!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 07:45:40 -0800, Larry Fishel wrote:

Even though you're cutting them straight, it seems strange to me to
worry too much about, or even want to, get them perfectly spaced when
you're using random sized stones. Maybe just eyeball them and cut the
last one AFTER you have all the others in the mortar... Just a thought.

That's EXACTLY what I did!

For better or worse, here's the final result, set in concrete & mortar:
http://picturepush.com/public/7518004

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote:

For better or worse, here's the final result, set in concrete &
mortar: http://picturepush.com/public/7518004

Regarding the cracks on the existing end wall on the highest tier...

Stucco over block? When/if you paint it, fix the cracks by rubbing caulk
into them before painting. I've used both acrylic and urethane caulks,
acrylic for thin cracks (1/16 or so) urethane for wider ones. Some of the
acrylic repairs are now about 15 years old, still good.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 07:22:13 -0500, dadiOH wrote:
fix the cracks by rubbing caulk into them before painting.

I had mentioned offhand in one of the posts that these cracks are leaking
water slightly. Over time, I'm sure that will get worse.

Someone had mentioned, IIRC, 'hydraulic cement'.

I didn't yet have time to research how to fix the crack. I'm not sure
what 'caulk' is (I'm used to bathroom caulk but I wonder how that's
different than grout).

BTW, is it "stucco mix" that the yellow wall is covered with?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 07:22:13 -0500, dadiOH wrote:
fix the cracks by rubbing caulk into them before painting.

I had mentioned offhand in one of the posts that these cracks are
leaking water slightly. Over time, I'm sure that will get worse.

Someone had mentioned, IIRC, 'hydraulic cement'.

You need to fix the leak(s) on the *inside*, not outside. When I suggested
caulk on the outside it was solely a cosmetic fix for cracks in the
stucco(?) before painting.
____________

I didn't yet have time to research how to fix the crack. I'm not sure
what 'caulk' is (I'm used to bathroom caulk but I wonder how that's
different than grout).

Most people think of "grout" as a cementatious material. One that gets
hard. One that doesn't flex. It CAN be other materials but not usually.
______________

BTW, is it "stucco mix" that the yellow wall is covered with?

I have no idea what it is covered with. Is it a block wall that is covered
with a cementatious material? If so, it could be "stucco mix"; around here,
lots of the stucco people use Type S mortar for stucco. When I stuccoed my
garden walls a few years ago, I used thinset.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:44:17 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 07:22:13 -0500, dadiOH wrote:
fix the cracks by rubbing caulk into them before painting.

I had mentioned offhand in one of the posts that these cracks are leaking
water slightly. Over time, I'm sure that will get worse.

Someone had mentioned, IIRC, 'hydraulic cement'.

Is the inside of the water feature covered with the same material as
outside?

I didn't yet have time to research how to fix the crack. I'm not sure
what 'caulk' is (I'm used to bathroom caulk but I wonder how that's
different than grout).

BTW, is it "stucco mix" that the yellow wall is covered with?

It looks like stucco to me. Applied in three coats (my area). Yours
looks like it is "sand texture" finish. The smoothest finish texture
in stucco work I've seen to date.

You can buy a 1 QT. tub of "pre-mixed stucco patch" from HD. Rub that
into the cracks (get your gloves G). Then paint the repairs. How big
is the inside cracks? Post photos of the inside and outside cracks and
a close up the house wall...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:59:15 -0800, Oren wrote:

Is the inside of the water feature covered with the same material as
outside?

It 'looks' like the same stuff...

It looks like stucco to me. Applied in three coats (my area). Yours
looks like it is "sand texture" finish. The smoothest finish texture in
stucco work I've seen to date.

Thanks for that hint.

I agree. It's not smooth and it's not rough. It's just in between.

How big is the inside cracks?

I'll see if I can snap a picture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:30:44 -0500, dadiOH wrote:
You need to fix the leak(s) on the *inside*, not outside.

Ah, I see. Makes sense. Lots of sense. Thanks.

Is it a block wall that is covered with a cementatious material?

I see what looks like the outline of blocks ... so I'd say yes.

When I stuccoed my garden walls a few years ago, I used thinset.

Sounds like a good plan for me.