Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default Lack of suitable joint spacers is driving me crazy (my 1st flagstonewalkway)

On 2/3/2012 6:35 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Chuck Banshee wrote:
Here is a picture of my current (lousy) attempt at uniform spacers
between flagstones to be set into mortar tomorrow:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478342.jpg

The board in that picture, placed with the tall side up (instead of
flat as it is in that picture), is still too thick.

Q: What do YOU use to space flagstone while you're cutting the last
piece and when you start mortaring them down?
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478368.jpg

Note: It matters greatly even a little bit because the errors add up
over the 20 or so pieces and you're cutting the last (middle) piece
to fit. http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7478407.jpg

You can get dowel rods, round or square, in almost any width from 1/16th to
1 inch or more at the box store. I used 4 of 3/8ths-inch to lay ceramic
tile. They worked out FAR better than the little foam crosses.

you don't need a spacer for the entire joint. you can cut 1" pieces of
your pencils and use them on end, one near each end of the joint.

i've never seen any pro use spacers with flagstone; they're usually too
irregularly shaped to use spacers. you appear to be making tiles with
your flag, so approach this the way a tiler would, not a flag layer
would. you can get plastic X spacers in the tile section in various sizes.