Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pipes popped out of the walkway - What would you protect them with?

While digging along a foundation to build a flagstone walkway, these
pipes popped up out of the ground (so to speak!):
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7422076.jpeg

A standard irrigation valve box is too small to cover them.
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7422075.jpeg

Tomorrow, I'll go to Home Depot to get 'something' to cover these pipes
to protect them as the walkway will be at the level of the top of the
pipes.

What would YOU suggest I buy to protect the pipes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote:
While digging along a foundation to build a flagstone walkway, these
pipes popped up out of the ground (so to speak!):
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7422076.jpeg

A standard irrigation valve box is too small to cover them.
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7422075.jpeg

Tomorrow, I'll go to Home Depot to get 'something' to cover these
pipes to protect them as the walkway will be at the level of the top
of the pipes.

What would YOU suggest I buy to protect the pipes?

If they are subject to freezing temps, you will have to take that into account.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:56:28 -0800, Bob F wrote:
If they are subject to freezing temps,
you will have to take that into account.

It's the Silicon Valley, so, it doesn't really get to freezing
temperatures (all that much). The house is 30 years old so I assume the
pipes never froze before.

They seem to also have a buried wire (looks like low voltage but I'm not
sure) next to them. (Too dark now but I'll snap a closeup tomorrow.)

They were covered with sod which I dug up to in the process of digging a
couple of inches down to start putting the flagstone walkway in.

I'm surprised they had no cover on top; just sod.

I guess I 'could' just put a flatstone on top of them - but that seems
not to be the right way to do it.

I'm gonna look for a double-width irrigation box - but I wonder if there
is something made for this. There are no valves, so I don't really need
access to it. They're just PVC water pipes which were about 2 inches or 3
inches below the top of the sod.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote:
[...]

The pipes are for the sprinkler system. The wires go to the control valves.
There are larger valve boxes available. Put some insulating foam over the pipes
in the box just in case of a harder freeze.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 9:03*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:
[...]

I would look at something in the commercial metallic cover type
sort of thing to cover those pipes... That plastic irrigation cover
will look very out of place with flagstone pavers surrounding it...

You are going to have to do a lot of work to properly set an access
panel cover -- your walkway will probably have to be up higher than
you are anticipating as you have to dig up around the pipes to set it
in place and the ring/support for the lid has to be above the level of
the pipes...

Plastic just doesn't strike me as standing the test of time nor the
weight of the flagstone pavers and the concrete you will set them
in...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 25, 7:46*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:
While digging along a foundation to build a flagstone walkway, these
pipes popped up out of the ground (so to speak!):
*http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7422076.jpeg

A standard irrigation valve box is too small to cover them.
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7422075.jpeg

Tomorrow, I'll go to Home Depot to get 'something' to cover these pipes
to protect them as the walkway will be at the level of the top of the
pipes.

What would YOU suggest I buy to protect the pipes?

Try an industrial supply house (Global, others) for heavy plastic
storage containers. Not too pricey, lots of options.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2012 5:46 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
While digging along a foundation to build a flagstone walkway, these
pipes popped up out of the ground (so to speak!):
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7422076.jpeg

A standard irrigation valve box is too small to cover them.
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7422075.jpeg

Tomorrow, I'll go to Home Depot to get 'something' to cover these pipes
to protect them as the walkway will be at the level of the top of the
pipes.

What would YOU suggest I buy to protect the pipes?

I would suggest getting a pressure treated 2X6 at Home Depot and make a
box to go around the pipes, then cover them with earth.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:13:21 -0800, Paul Drahn wrote:

What would YOU suggest I buy to protect the pipes?

I would suggest getting a pressure treated 2X6 at Home Depot

I'm heading off to Home Depot tomorrow morning. I'll see what they have.

The interesting thing was these plastic pipes were merely buried in the
sod, and not protected. I guess nobody figured I'd put a walkway there so
I might have to re-think where I put the walkway.

One problem is the pipes seem to go down at an angle so I'd have to
extensively modify any box I buy ... but I'll see what Home Depot has.

Thanks. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 12:43*am, Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:13:21 -0800, Paul Drahn wrote:
What would YOU suggest I buy to protect the pipes?

I would suggest getting a pressure treated 2X6 at Home Depot

I'm heading off to Home Depot tomorrow morning. I'll see what they have.

The interesting thing was these plastic pipes were merely buried in the
sod, and not protected. I guess nobody figured I'd put a walkway there so
I might have to re-think where I put the walkway.

One problem is the pipes seem to go down at an angle so I'd have to
extensively modify any box I buy ... but I'll see what Home Depot has.

Thanks. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Or you would have to purchase a LARGER metal or fiberglass
access panel and frame... But to do it right the finished surface
has to up higher than the pipes -- you wouldn't build it so that
the cover would almost be touching the pipes...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 01:46:46 +0000, Chuck Banshee wrote:

While digging along a foundation to build a flagstone walkway, these
pipes popped up out of the ground (so to speak!):
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7422076.jpeg

Dig more, and work out what they're for. Maybe they're not even hooked up
to anything, and can just be cut and capped?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 3:30*am, Evan wrote:
[...]

Some thoughts:

Why would you put a walkway right up against the
foundation of the house? People need clearance to
walk by, don't they? With the walkway where you say
you're putting it, you'd have your shoulders right next
to the wall. Normally that area would be used for an
area a few feet wide with plants of some type and
the walkway next to that.

If you insist on putting it there, the walkway is going
to have to be a few inches higher for room for base/sand
plus the stone. I'm assuming the pipes are irrigation.
Can't tell the size from the pics, but the smallest one
looks too small for irrigation and the largest looks to
large for a home system. And whatever you put on
top of the pipes to try to protect them may not be
much better than just a flagstone properly set.
The problem is without a support structure on either
side to hold a protection plate of some kind, the
weight from people walking is still going to be presenting
a shear force down on the plastic pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd be curious what the pipes are, and what they contain. If you're in cold
climate, and if the pipes are exposed to cold, you might want something
with thermal mass, like a huge flower box.

Which (flower box) might not be so bad an idea.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Chuck Banshee" wrote in message
While digging along a foundation to build a flagstone walkway, these
pipes popped up out of the ground (so to speak!):
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7422076.jpeg

A standard irrigation valve box is too small to cover them.
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7422075.jpeg

Tomorrow, I'll go to Home Depot to get 'something' to cover these pipes
to protect them as the walkway will be at the level of the top of the
pipes.

What would YOU suggest I buy to protect the pipes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 01:46:46 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

What would YOU suggest I buy to protect the pipes?

http://www.emscogroup.com/products/product?id=251&category_id=23

• Our Architectural Rock Program adds natural beauty to any yard or
landscape design.

•Cover wells, pipes, or sprinkler valves

•Hide electrical or cable junction boxes

•Or just enhance the natural look of your yard

•These durable resin rocks are available in five sizes and two colors
for various applications.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree here. It's hard to guess from the pics, but they look like they
could be Geothermal heating. Although the small one going into the
bigger one is a question.

.

"Chuck wrote in message
While digging along a foundation to build a flagstone walkway, these
pipes popped up out of the ground (so to speak!):
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7422076.jpeg

A standard irrigation valve box is too small to cover them.
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/7422075.jpeg

Tomorrow, I'll go to Home Depot to get 'something' to cover these pipes
to protect them as the walkway will be at the level of the top of the
pipes.

What would YOU suggest I buy to protect the pipes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 12:05*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
I agree here. *It's hard to guess from the pics, but they look like they
could be Geothermal heating. *Although the small one going into the
bigger one is a question.

On 1/26/2012 9:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd be curious what the pipes are, and what they contain. If you're in cold
climate, and if the pipes are exposed to cold, you *might want something
with thermal mass, like a huge flower box.

Three pipes. Underground fuel tank supply, return, and vent?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 12:49*pm, TimR wrote:
On Jan 26, 12:05*pm, Art Todesco wrote:

I agree here. *It's hard to guess from the pics, but they look like they
could be Geothermal heating. *Although the small one going into the
bigger one is a question.

On 1/26/2012 9:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd be curious what the pipes are, and what they contain. If you're in cold
climate, and if the pipes are exposed to cold, you *might want something
with thermal mass, like a huge flower box.

Three pipes. *Underground fuel tank supply, return, and vent?

With PVC pipe? I think not
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:26:50 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 26, 12:49*pm, TimR wrote:
On Jan 26, 12:05*pm, Art Todesco wrote:

I agree here. *It's hard to guess from the pics, but they look like they
could be Geothermal heating. *Although the small one going into the
bigger one is a question.

On 1/26/2012 9:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd be curious what the pipes are, and what they contain. If you're in cold
climate, and if the pipes are exposed to cold, you *might want something
with thermal mass, like a huge flower box.

Three pipes. *Underground fuel tank supply, return, and vent?

With PVC pipe? I think not

I agree. I suspect these pipes are irrigation lines.

OP can tell us if they are SCH-40 or SCH-80 by markings on the pipes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:03:02 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:56:28 -0800, Bob F wrote:
If they are subject to freezing temps,
you will have to take that into account.

It's the Silicon Valley, so, it doesn't really get to freezing
temperatures (all that much). The house is 30 years old so I assume the
pipes never froze before.

Yes, but now you've removed 2 or 3 inches of dirt, as you say below.
How much were you planning to re-cover it with?

They seem to also have a buried wire (looks like low voltage but I'm not
sure) next to them. (Too dark now but I'll snap a closeup tomorrow.)

They were covered with sod which I dug up to in the process of digging a
couple of inches down to start putting the flagstone walkway in.

I'm surprised they had no cover on top; just sod.

Did you actually walk on them before? Or just next to them?

I guess I 'could' just put a flatstone on top of them - but that seems
not to be the right way to do it.

I'm gonna look for a double-width irrigation box - but I wonder if there

That they are irriigation pipes doesn't mean you have to use an
irrigation box. Anything that will spread out the weight of what is
on top of them, and will last a long time, is okay. Make sure the
dirt around t he pipes won't wash away, so that it's supportig your
cover, so your cover isn't supported only by t he top pipe.

is something made for this. There are no valves, so I don't really need
access to it. They're just PVC water pipes which were about 2 inches or 3
inches below the top of the sod.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:55:43 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:52:05 -0800, Oren wrote:

OP can tell us if they are SCH-40 or SCH-80 by markings on the pipes.

I'm not wholly sure what is what, but, there are plenty of irrigation
boxes around so the small pipe, I suspect, is irrigation.

Yup

The two larger pipes are almost certainly for the existing water features
in the foundation-like structure above because there is a 1.75 horsepower
pool pump (which is broken as I have to fix that next) nearby which runs
the water features.

A pump that size ordinarily means 2" pipe. The small pipe is likely
irrigation. The pump can be 220 VAC, but wire is in a conduit ?

Why there is a black wire along the pipes confounds me though.

Here is a closeup picture taken just now:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7426671.jpg

The wires can be for irrigation valves, landscape lighting or for the
pool pump. I can't see it from Las Vegas?!

I suspect the wire is LOW voltage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:11:35 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

White PVC? Not likely..... but who can tell?

Hey, OP? Got fuel oil?

Propane. From a tank. On the other side of the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote in
:

[...]

Flagstone around it, and a steel plate to protect them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 22:09:40 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:52:09 -0500, micky wrote:
Yes, but now you've removed 2 or 3 inches of dirt, as you say below. How
much were you planning to re-cover it with?

Good point.

I was planning on covering it only with the irrigation box.
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7426576.png

Maybe I should put fiberglass insulation inside before putting the cover
back on?

You need to talk to knowledgable popele in your area, maybe at good
garden shops, maybe the state university extension, the kind that
answers garden and farming questions.

I live in Batlimroe where it ges down to 10 sometimes, maybe 0, and
I'm still trying to find out if I have to drain my outside faucet,
which only sticks out of the brick wall by the length of the spigot.
Sometimes it's a pain in the neck, and I htink most of my neighbors
don't do it. Anyone know the temp and time period for which one has
to drain the pipes to the garden outlet?

They sell styrofoam covers for the winter., with foam rubber gaskets
where they touch the wall. Do those work?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 3:55*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:52:05 -0800, Oren wrote:
OP can tell us if they are SCH-40 or SCH-80 by markings on the pipes.

I'm not wholly sure what is what, but, there are plenty of irrigation
boxes around so the small pipe, I suspect, is irrigation.

The two larger pipes are almost certainly for the existing water features
in the foundation-like structure above because there is a 1.75 horsepower
pool pump (which is broken as I have to fix that next) nearby which runs
the water features.

Why there is a black wire along the pipes confounds me though.

Here is a closeup picture taken just now:
*http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7426671.jpg

Black wire could be for loe-voltage wiring, or maybe a relay control
lead to turn the pump on and off for the waterfall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

What works are these:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...053912,00.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

What do these pipes carry? Electrical wires?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Chuck Banshee" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:11:35 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

White PVC? Not likely..... but who can tell?

Hey, OP? Got fuel oil?

Propane. From a tank. On the other side of the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 07:53:12 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What do these pipes carry? Electrical wires?

I'm not sure but I think:
a) The electrical wire is probably low voltage for outdoor lighting
b) The two large pipes are probably for the water feature
c) The small pipe is probably a drain for the water feature or irrigation
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 00:24:04 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What works are these:

Interesting.

1. Turn off the water and drain the old hose faucet, also called the
sillcock.
2. Use emery cloth to clean the copper water pipe leading to the hose
faucet.
3. Cut the pipe using a tubing cutter and then remove the old hose faucet.
4. Insert the new frost-proof sillcock into the hole in the wall, and
mark its mounting-hole locations.
5. Drill holes on the mark and insert plastic wall anchors.
6. Apply silicone caulk around flange of the frost-proof sillcock.
7. Slide sillcock into hole, press tight to wall and secure with
stainless steel screws.
8. Use an adjustable wrench to remove stem unit from sillcock.
9. From inside, solder a length of copper pipe to the end of the sillcock.
10. Use a coupling to solder new pipe to the existing water pipe.
11. Re-install the stem unit into sillcock and tighten with wrench.
12. Turn on water and test your work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:39:34 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 07:53:12 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What do these pipes carry? Electrical wires?

I'm not sure but I think:
a) The electrical wire is probably low voltage for outdoor lighting
b) The two large pipes are probably for the water feature
c) The small pipe is probably a drain for the water feature or irrigation

Why not dig a little further and confirm what they are? If they are
for water can you have them exit the house at a lower elevation? If
yes, reroute them lower and you won't need a cover of any kind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 07:53:12 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What do these pipes carry? Electrical wires?

I'm not sure but I think:

So now:

a) The electrical wire is probably low voltage for outdoor lighting

What shape is the wire? Is it round or shaped like a lamp cord? What
is marked on the wire?

MHO is this is low voltage wire.A) irrigation B) landscape lighting. A
is round -- B is lighting (12 AWG?)

As far as I know 110/220 wires for the pump would be in a gray
conduit.

b) The two large pipes are probably for the water feature

Yes. Same size on the pump motor?

c) The small pipe is probably a drain for the water feature or irrigation

Yes. Most likely irrigation.

Identify the wires next to the pipe for us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
micky wrote:
...snipped...

I live in Batlimroe where it ges down to 10 sometimes, maybe 0, and
I'm still trying to find out if I have to drain my outside faucet,
which only sticks out of the brick wall by the length of the spigot.
Sometimes it's a pain in the neck, and I htink most of my neighbors
don't do it. Anyone know the temp and time period for which one has
to drain the pipes to the garden outlet?

I live in Baltimore too and I have seen in my lifetime, I belive back in the
mid or late 80s, it get cold enough to freeze and break pipes _inside_ an
unheated house. So I would say, yes, drain and shut off the line to your
outside faucet. That said, it does have to get down in the teens for at
lease a couple days straight before that happens, and the weather forecast
is usually good enough to give fair warning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:22:18 -0800, Oren wrote:

Identify the wires next to the pipe for us.

Hi Oren,
I just got this (it's night) so I'll look in the morning.
From memory, the wire seemed to have two thick lobes but that's all I
know at the moment. I'll look and snap a closeup in the morning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 07:49:15 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jan 27, 10:25*am, micky wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 00:24:04 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:
[...]

Thanks. *Too hard to do. *It would require for one faucet cutting a
hole in basement ceiling, after removing all the books and
disassembling the book shelf under that spot.

The other pipe is accessible, but iits above an old wardrobe, armoir,
that's full almost to the top with camping equipment. * Very hard to
do the job without moving the warddrobe; hard to move the warddrobe.

Nothing is at eye level like in the video. *- Hide quoted text -

" Too hard to do"

Imagine how "hard" (and expensive) it will be to clean up the mess
when the spigot freezes and the pipe bursts.

That's not going to happen. I've been here 28 years. It's nol
happened yet and the world is getting warmer.

The question is, can I stop putting the styrafoam covers on the
faucets.

I guess you will have to stick with either draining your spigot or
*hoping* that the styrofoam cover works.

I certainly wouldn't trust a styrofoam cover. It's not like it
generates any heat.

Try this experiment: Buy a cheap styrofoam cooler and put some water
in it. Leave it outside in freezing weather and let me know how it
works out. Why would that be any different than putting a styrofoam
cap on a spigot?

I thinik heat comes out through conduction in the pipe. After all
it's 68^ in the house, only a few inches away.

I should find out if my neiighbors drain the last few inches, but I
keep forgetting when I see them so I haven't asked even one. Thanks.

I open my spigots and turn the shutoff to the spigots off. If they
freeze and burst the pipe inside the house, I'll get about 3 feet of
1/2 copper pipe worth of water. I can live with that.

In the 25 years I've been in the house, it's never happened.

If fact, the only time I know of that the spigot froze is the year my
son turned the shutoff on, went outside, turned the spigot on and
nothing came out. He didn't know what was going on (he was 12) so he
just walked away. A few days later my wife came home from work to find
the spigot gushing water. It had warmed up enough to thaw.

LOL

Not related really but I found a horizontal pipe in a brushy field
near an expressway that was shooting water out 5 feet before it
started to fall down. Took me calls to 3 offices before the water
companyturned it off. But that was after the ground downhill from t
here was flooded for 2 years. All from that pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 06:48:49 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:22:18 -0800, Oren wrote:

Identify the wires next to the pipe for us.

Hi Oren,
I just got this (it's night) so I'll look in the morning.
From memory, the wire seemed to have two thick lobes but that's all I
know at the moment. I'll look and snap a closeup in the morning.

crickets
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 15:40:25 -0800, Oren wrote:

crickets

Just to update the pipes which popped up as I was digging for a walkway...

Both irrigation covers I bought were all too small.

But then, all that digging uncovered a foundation so, on a whim, I
started laying sandstone as tile and as flagstone (two different walkways
in progress resulted):
http://picturepush.com/host.php?image=7508870

So, the pipes are on hold for the moment ... until/unless I finish the
walkways and stop starting new projects without finishing the first!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 19:59:00 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

But then, all that digging uncovered a foundation so, on a whim, I
started laying sandstone as tile and as flagstone (two different walkways
in progress resulted):
http://picturepush.com/host.php?image=7508870

So, the pipes are on hold for the moment ... until/unless I finish the
walkways and stop starting new projects without finishing the first!

Thanks for the photo. My original impression is that you were placing
stone over the pipes. This was the reason I asked. Looking at this
now, you will have access to the wires in case you need repair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 13:02:23 -0800, Oren wrote:

http://picturepush.com/host.php?image=7508870

So, the pipes are on hold for the moment ... until/unless I finish the
walkways and stop starting new projects without finishing the first!

Thanks for the photo. My original impression is that you were placing
stone over the pipes. This was the reason I asked. Looking at this
now, you will have access to the wires in case you need repair.

Chuck,

BTW, before you make final decisions on the walkway take some garden
hoses and use them as a guide - wide or narrow as you like - radius
curves. It gives an idea of what you may like.

P.S. Those walkway stones are not scrap :-\