Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water softeners in the UK

My daughter lives in the London area, and is interested in a water softener.
They have visited with a salesman from a company called Harvey water
softeners. They live in a typical masonettes, so it would have to be a
very small one that goes under the kitchen sink (or next to it). Anyone
have good/bad reviews? thank you in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:57:59 -0700, "nefletch"
wrote:

My daughter lives in the London area, and is interested in a water softener.
They have visited with a salesman from a company called Harvey water
softeners. They live in a typical masonettes, so it would have to be a
very small one that goes under the kitchen sink (or next to it). Anyone
have good/bad reviews? thank you in advance

Are you thinking of Reverse Osmosis systems? I've not found a
household water softener that fits under the sink. An RO system will
and will remove some sediments from the water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My daughter lives in the London area, and is interested in a water softener.
They have visited with a salesman from a company called Harvey water
softeners. They live in a typical masonettes, so it would have to be a
very small one that goes under the kitchen sink (or next to it). Anyone
have good/bad reviews? thank you in advance

Are you thinking of Reverse Osmosis systems? I've not found a
household water softener that fits under the sink. An RO system will
and will remove some sediments from the water.

Wouldn't do much good for things you usually have s/w for like bathing,
clothes, hot water heater, washing car. RO is great for drinking water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My daughter lives in the London area, and is interested in a water softener.
They have visited with a salesman from a company called Harvey water
softeners. They live in a typical masonettes, so it would have to be a
very small one that goes under the kitchen sink (or next to it). Anyone
have good/bad reviews? thank you in advance

Are you thinking of Reverse Osmosis systems? I've not found a
household water softener that fits under the sink. An RO system will
and will remove some sediments from the water.

Wouldn't do much good for things you usually have s/w for like bathing,
clothes, hot water heater, washing car. RO is great for drinking water.

Right. The OP wants a system under the sink. Good luck with a
softener for that location.

80 lbs. of salt crystals just won't fit under a sink.

Of course this is in the UK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My daughter lives in the London area, and is interested in a water softener.
They have visited with a salesman from a company called Harvey water
softeners. They live in a typical masonettes, so it would have to be a
very small one that goes under the kitchen sink (or next to it). Anyone
have good/bad reviews? thank you in advance

Are you thinking of Reverse Osmosis systems? I've not found a
household water softener that fits under the sink. An RO system will
and will remove some sediments from the water.

Wouldn't do much good for things you usually have s/w for like bathing,
clothes, hot water heater, washing car. RO is great for drinking water.

Right. The OP wants a system under the sink. Good luck with a
softener for that location.

80 lbs. of salt crystals just won't fit under a sink.

Of course this is in the UK.

I don't like the taste of the s/w from my system. The ro system takes
care of that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nevada has some of the hardest water I've seen.

Even with a whole house softener (all things household) we still have
RO under the sink for drinking, cooking and coffee making purposes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 2:57*am, "nefletch" wrote:
My daughter lives in the London area, and is interested in a water softener.
They have visited with a salesman from a company called Harvey water
softeners. *They live in a typical masonettes, so it would have to be a
very small one that goes under the kitchen sink (or next to it). *Anyone
have good/bad reviews? *thank you in advance

There are various technologies about.
The only technology worth considering is the chemical one ie ion
exchange.
You have to add salt regularly.

It's considered unhealthy to be drinking softened water.

I have looked at their website. There are a lot of lies and
exaggerations on it.
If you have a combi boiler, worth considering, it will save the heat
exchanger from getting scaled up.

The only other place where scale is a signifacant problem is in your
hot water cylinder.

Other wise, I wouldn't bother. The "savings" identified are hard to
achieve and small anyway..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 23:00:35 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

It's considered unhealthy to be drinking softened water.

Why? Because of salt usage in the system?

A glass of softened water equates to the amount of salt in a slice of
white bread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:57:59 -0700, nefletch wrote:

My daughter lives in the London area, and is interested in a water
softener. They have visited with a salesman from a company called Harvey
water softeners. They live in a typical masonettes, so it would have
to be a very small one that goes under the kitchen sink (or next to it).
Anyone have good/bad reviews? thank you in advance

Throw a post out to uk.d-i-y, someone will be able to help.

I lived in the UK most of my life and we had some kind of under-sink
softner at one house, but unfortunately I don't recall the model now (and
that was years ago anyway). I never saw those huge water-heater-sized
softners until I moved to the US.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry, our resident troll, can use this moment to prove he's helpful in some
instance.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:57:59 -0700, nefletch wrote:

My daughter lives in the London area, and is interested in a water
softener. They have visited with a salesman from a company called Harvey
water softeners. They live in a typical masonettes, so it would have
to be a very small one that goes under the kitchen sink (or next to it).
Anyone have good/bad reviews? thank you in advance

Throw a post out to uk.d-i-y, someone will be able to help.

I lived in the UK most of my life and we had some kind of under-sink
softner at one house, but unfortunately I don't recall the model now (and
that was years ago anyway). I never saw those huge water-heater-sized
softners until I moved to the US.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:11:55 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Harry, our resident troll, can use this moment to prove he's helpful in some
instance.

Fat chance on that happening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's considered unhealthy to be drinking softened water.

Why? Because of salt usage in the system?

A glass of softened water equates to the amount of salt in a slice of
white bread.

(a) You need the calcium.
(b) The sodium from ion exchange softeners is bad for you.
(c) The softened water can leach metals out of pipework that is bad
for you. (Epecially lead)

(c) being the worst aspect.

The problem is worse in very hard water areas and if there are small
children/babies in the house.

The topic is controversial, the manufacturers pooh pooh the idea. But
then they would wouldn't they?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's considered unhealthy to be drinking softened water.

Why? Because of salt usage in the system?

A glass of softened water equates to the amount of salt in a slice of
white bread.

Which is EXCESSIVE.
What's wrong with drinking hard water?
Here in Waterloo Ontario we use groundwater - quite hard - and I
soften the water to the water heater, bath, and kitchen sink. Not the
toilets, and not the "drinking water" tap in the kitchen. It has a
rainfresh filter on it to take out chlorine etc. That's all.
Great tasting water.

Water Softeners Davey UK diy 9 May 31st 11 11:45 AM
water softeners cj Home Repair 16 March 13th 08 08:12 PM
Water softeners Grumps UK diy 27 January 4th 08 12:17 PM
water softeners? Fred UK diy 26 November 11th 07 06:10 PM
Water Softeners Quiggles UK diy 29 February 20th 06 09:25 PM