Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - HF 45807 stretched out

With strap on head lamps on sale at HF for $2.49 I bought another one, to
use to replace one with the elastic stretched out. It's too tight when new,
and after a few uses, I'm at the end of the adjustment. I may buy some
elastic at the store, and splice in some stretchy for one of my stretched
out lights.

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Is there a reasonably priced head lamp that runs on AA cells (triple A don't
last very long)? Or should I get some elastic and practice my sewing
skills?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 9:20*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
With strap on head lamps on sale at HF for $2.49 I bought another one, to
use to replace one with the elastic stretched out. It's too tight when new,
and after a few uses, I'm at the end of the adjustment. I may buy some
elastic at the store, and splice in some stretchy for one of my stretched
out lights.

* *http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Is there a reasonably priced head lamp that runs on AA cells (triple A don't
last very long)? Or should *I get some elastic and practice my sewing
skills?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Have you compared your head size with that of more normal folksG?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
With strap on head lamps on sale at HF for $2.49 I bought another one, to
use to replace one with the elastic stretched out. It's too tight when new,
and after a few uses, I'm at the end of the adjustment. I may buy some
elastic at the store, and splice in some stretchy for one of my stretched
out lights.

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Is there a reasonably priced head lamp that runs on AA cells (triple A don't
last very long)? Or should I get some elastic and practice my sewing
skills?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Have you compared your head size with that of more normal folksG?

Chris may have a big old American head like many of us with European
ancestry but Asians have pointy little heads. If you've ever seen Asian
construction workers in pictures and videos of job sites where they are
wearing hardhats, you may have noticed they all have chinstraps to hold
them on. I've noticed that a lot of Asian produced products are made for
folks with smaller hands and bodies. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
With strap on head lamps on sale at HF for $2.49 I bought another
one, to use to replace one with the elastic stretched out. It's too
tight when new, and after a few uses, I'm at the end of the
adjustment. I may buy some elastic at the store, and splice in some
stretchy for one of my stretched out lights.

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Is there a reasonably priced head lamp that runs on AA cells (triple
A don't last very long)? Or should I get some elastic and practice
my sewing skills?

For many projects, you can't go wrong with a baseball cap containing LED
lights. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Panther-Vision...6367927&sr=8-1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2012 10:20 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
With strap on head lamps on sale at HF for $2.49 I bought another one, to
use to replace one with the elastic stretched out. It's too tight when new,
and after a few uses, I'm at the end of the adjustment. I may buy some
elastic at the store, and splice in some stretchy for one of my stretched
out lights.

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Is there a reasonably priced head lamp that runs on AA cells (triple A don't
last very long)? Or should I get some elastic and practice my sewing
skills?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I saw a guy who took the free HF light and duct taped it to his cap.
He said it works great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, you're not going to call me egghead, like everyone did in school?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

Have you compared your head size with that of more normal folksG?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ahhhh...... sooooo....... actually, I never thought of that. I bet you're
right. I ought to buy from a US made distributor. And, all this time, I
thought it was just cheap junk elastic that stretched out.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Have you compared your head size with that of more normal folksG?

Chris may have a big old American head like many of us with European
ancestry but Asians have pointy little heads. If you've ever seen Asian
construction workers in pictures and videos of job sites where they are
wearing hardhats, you may have noticed they all have chinstraps to hold
them on. I've noticed that a lot of Asian produced products are made for
folks with smaller hands and bodies. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago, I taped and stapled a "Photon" style squeeze light to my baseball
cap. Have to check that some day, probably batteries dead by now. Worked OK.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Frank" wrote in message

I saw a guy who took the free HF light and duct taped it to his cap.
He said it works great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Great idea. I'd seen clip on lights, five LED, at Real Deals Dollar Store.
Might have bought one, can't remember. Took one or two coin batteries.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

For many projects, you can't go wrong with a baseball cap containing LED
lights. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Panther-Vision...6367927&sr=8-1

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
With strap on head lamps on sale at HF for $2.49 I bought another one, to
use to replace one with the elastic stretched out. It's too tight when
new,
and after a few uses, I'm at the end of the adjustment. I may buy some
elastic at the store, and splice in some stretchy for one of my stretched
out lights.

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Is there a reasonably priced head lamp that runs on AA cells (triple A
don't
last very long)? Or should I get some elastic and practice my sewing
skills?

Go to a fabric shop and get a replacement band.
It's not that hard to stitch one up.

I picked up a 65 lumen headlamp at a garage sale that had a stretched band
After fixing, it now it sits in the car toolbox for emergencies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Is there a reasonably priced head lamp that runs on AA cells (triple
A don't last very long)? Or should I get some elastic and practice
my sewing skills?

For many projects, you can't go wrong with a baseball cap containing LED
lights. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Panther-Vision...6367927&sr=8-1

Way more expensive, not nearly as bright (I own several) and uses CR2032
button cells. Stormie was looking for AA's because he thought AAA's didn't
last long enough. Button cells would provide even worse battery life for
much higher cost. The hat models do keep your head warm, though, and I've
sewn in a little pocket for a spare set of FOUR 2032's. My problem is that
the hat, even opened to its widest setting, is still a bit too small. I
keep one in each car for hands-free under the hood work. The hat doesn't
have a blinking setting but the headband units often do. That's
occasionally quite useful.

I replaced the elastic straps on mine with two strips of velcro so that I
can adjust them to fit without the pressure of elastic around my skull - the
hats you recommended do it that way and it seems adequate for most
situations.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
With strap on head lamps on sale at HF for $2.49 I bought another one, to
use to replace one with the elastic stretched out.

snip

Buy some replacement bands at any welding supply shop. They are fairly
cheap, and last a long time.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Is there a reasonably priced head lamp that runs on AA cells (triple
A don't last very long)? Or should I get some elastic and practice
my sewing skills?

For many projects, you can't go wrong with a baseball cap containing
LED lights. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Panther-Vision...6367927&sr=8-1

Way more expensive, not nearly as bright (I own several) and uses
CR2032 button cells. Stormie was looking for AA's because he thought
AAA's didn't last long enough. Button cells would provide even worse
battery life for much higher cost.

When you take off your hat, you're supposed to turn off the lamps. Here's an
easy way to remember:
"Take OFF the hat, turn OFF the hat."

I've had my hat for over a year (Christmas before last) and it still works
swell.

'Course you may work on more projects than I, or take more time on each
project than I, or do your work only at night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Welding supply? I'll admit, I've never heard of that. Do they sell elastic
straps for.... uh, for.... uh, what?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Joe" wrote in message

Buy some replacement bands at any welding supply shop. They are fairly
cheap, and last a long time.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2012 2:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Welding supply? I'll admit, I've never heard of that. Do they sell elastic
straps for.... uh, for.... uh, what?

Welding goggles silly boy. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2012 2:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Welding supply? I'll admit, I've never heard of that. Do they sell
elastic
straps for.... uh, for.... uh, what?

Welding goggles silly boy. ^_^

TDD

That was a double tap, very effective. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Goggles are a bit wider than headlamp. Wonder if the strap would work?

Silly Boy
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 1/12/2012 2:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Welding supply? I'll admit, I've never heard of that. Do they sell elastic
straps for.... uh, for.... uh, what?

Welding goggles silly boy. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, I know I'm dead.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus AND, SOON!!!!!!
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Welding goggles silly boy. ^_^

TDD

That was a double tap, very effective. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:20:41 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

With strap on head lamps on sale at HF for $2.49 I bought another one, to
use to replace one with the elastic stretched out. It's too tight when new,
and after a few uses, I'm at the end of the adjustment. I may buy some
elastic at the store, and splice in some stretchy for one of my stretched
out lights.

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Is there a reasonably priced head lamp that runs on AA cells (triple A don't
last very long)? Or should I get some elastic and practice my sewing
skills?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Just make sure the elastic isn't Chinese like the crap that came with
the light - or get a velcro strap that will always fit and won't need
sewing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message

Buy some replacement bands at any welding supply shop. They are fairly
cheap, and last a long time.

Joe

Welding goggles would be the first thing that comes to mind - - - - -
-.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You're right aout the gooder quality elastic. The HF head lamp has a slider
"buckle", not sure what is the name for it. But, the strap is adjustable.
Problem is, the elastic is stretched out, and no longer stretchy.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Just make sure the elastic isn't Chinese like the crap that came with
the light - or get a velcro strap that will always fit and won't need
sewing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote the following:
Robert Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Is there a reasonably priced head lamp that runs on AA cells (triple
A don't last very long)? Or should I get some elastic and practice
my sewing skills?

For many projects, you can't go wrong with a baseball cap containing
LED lights. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Panther-Vision...6367927&sr=8-1
Way more expensive, not nearly as bright (I own several) and uses
CR2032 button cells. Stormie was looking for AA's because he thought
AAA's didn't last long enough. Button cells would provide even worse
battery life for much higher cost.

When you take off your hat, you're supposed to turn off the lamps. Here's an
easy way to remember:
"Take OFF the hat, turn OFF the hat."

First, you gotta remember to take off the hat. That's hard enough to
remember! :-)

I've had my hat for over a year (Christmas before last) and it still works
swell.

'Course you may work on more projects than I, or take more time on each
project than I, or do your work only at night.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Just make sure the elastic isn't Chinese like the crap that came with
the light - or get a velcro strap that will always fit and won't need
sewing.

heat, like leaving it in the car in the summertime, or UV, will also
cause elastic to not be stretchy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://my.opera.com/AOTEAROAnz/album...8950078#bigimg

Is this why our top-posting friend needs a headlamp with long battery life?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it true? Some men wear a ball hat, even to bed? Maybe Ron Howard?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

When you take off your hat, you're supposed to turn off the lamps. Here's
an
easy way to remember:
"Take OFF the hat, turn OFF the hat."

First, you gotta remember to take off the hat. That's hard enough to
remember! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

That could explain it. Mine travel in vehicles, and get exposed to UV.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"chaniarts" wrote in message

heat, like leaving it in the car in the summertime, or UV, will also
cause elastic to not be stretchy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message Robert Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Is there a reasonably priced head lamp that runs on AA cells (triple
A don't last very long)? Or should I get some elastic and practice
my sewing skills?

For many projects, you can't go wrong with a baseball cap containing
LED lights. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Panther-Vision...6367927&sr=8-1

Way more expensive, not nearly as bright (I own several) and uses
CR2032 button cells. Stormie was looking for AA's because he thought
AAA's didn't last long enough. Button cells would provide even worse
battery life for much higher cost.

When you take off your hat, you're supposed to turn off the lamps. Here's

an
easy way to remember:
"Take OFF the hat, turn OFF the hat."

They're properly doused, thank you. This is a simple matter of physics.
Brighter lights usually require more power. The hat is much, MUCH dimmer
than any of the other headband LEDs that I have - and that's quite a few.
(-: I collect flashlights. They're in every tool box, in the cars, and
there's one hanging on a hook in the bedroom closet. When the power fails,
having good light and both hands free is a great advantage. I've got at
least five different models. There are some that run on very thick
AG-series button cells but I decided that it's much better to purchase
models that run on batteries I can recharge. That's the most economical
option.

The hats produce adequate light for many task, but I've read Stormie needs a
lot of light for his locksmithing work. I cut off my garden hose lock at
night (in the rain) and I wore the hat, my buddy wore the headband. That
made it obvious how much difference there was in both brightness and
wideness of the illumination field. The hat was useful to keep my hair dry.
Brightness issues and high cost of operation seems to make the hat a bad
choice for the OP. However, the hat is a very GOOD choice some
applications. I use them in the cars because outside the home I don't to
want to look like some Star Trek Borg on a rampage. A hat's a hell of a lot
less conspicious than a head-band unit.

So I agree with you that for many projects like use off the premises,
they're stylish, warm, easy to use, not too geek-ish and good for making
sure you're not going to step in an open well. From this and past threads,
I believe the OP has expressed a strong preference for bright light but only
he can tell us what his preferences/needs are precisely. I'm guessing that
he wants a bright light that doesn't require frequent or expensive battery
changes that also stays on his head. That's just logical. Most of these
units come with AAA cells. I use rechargeables so I can always "top them
off" in the monthly rolling inspections and the battery caps seem robust
enough to endure frequent reloading.

I've often wished that the units used AA's because they deliver the best
cost per lumen numbers which also means fewer battery changes. But it could
be the weight of 3 AA cells would make the unit uncomfortable for more than
a few minutes. If I cared, I would wire a mini-jack to the lamp and the
batteries and use a charger for NiMH cells that had a mini plug ending. I
have a number of LED flashlights that have that feature and it's very
useful.

I've had my hat for over a year (Christmas before last) and it still works
swell.

I doubt you use yours as much as I use mine. Just for fun, I tried using
the hat today working on the van's dashboard and I had to take it off and
hold it close to the console to read the small letters.

'Course you may work on more projects than I, or take more time on each
project than I, or do your work only at night.

I have the caps on every time I go out and use them to light up my walking
to and from parking spaces, etc. You'd be surprised how dark it's getting
as streetlighting is cut back all around this area. I also buy cheap packs
of CR2032's from Ebay and let's just say there's a substantial premature
failure rate. That's why I've created a bandolier in the lining of the cap.

Since mine are used away from home, I don't want to be hunting around four
CR2032 button cells late at night. One of the kids that used to work for me
said he paid $12 for one at a drugstore at 11PM in NYC when his car
transponder's battery failed at a valet parking garage. What the world
needs now is safe, user-rechargeable AA and AA lithium cells.

FWIW, I had the center LED on one cap fail. I got out the lifetime
warranty, decided at $5 plus the cost of return postage that I would retire
the hat until at least another one failed. I was folding it into a storage
bag when I decided to remove the button cells. I tried the sucker one last
time and discovered it's a wire problem, not a bad LED. The center LED
fired up just fine. Fingering around the brim I could induce it to fail.
It's being held in "injured reserve."

The hats, while having some nice features, may not be bright enough or
economical enough for the OP. With industrial use, I am sure those
batteries would require frequent changing - at least more than once yearly.
The wiring harness on the hat makes it pretty easy to solder in some AA
battery holders and maybe even a charging jack but that would void the
warranty.

What I'd really like is a flashing red LED at the back of the hat to make me
visible walking down a dark road. It's probably illegal in at least some
jurisdiction to have a flashing red light on your head. Ever see Kentucky
Fried Movie and the Master Bong Soo Han segment?

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2012 3:41 PM, Robert Green wrote:
....big snip...
What I'd really like is a flashing red LED at the back of the hat to make me
visible walking down a dark road. It's probably illegal in at least some
jurisdiction to have a flashing red light on your head.

maybe not. there's lots of bicycles around with a flashing light on the
back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in message
"HeyBub" wrote in message

For many projects, you can't go wrong with a baseball cap containing LED
lights. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Panther-Vision...6367927&sr=8-1

I've been actively comparing the two units for outside work - tonight it's a
suprise attack on the mold spores with a Holmes oscillating heater set at
750W sitting on the side panel of an old computer case that's set level
across the reclined passenger seat (goes nearly 0 deg). I've got my
LaCrosse wireless alarm thermometer to monitor the heat levels and will
leave the windows cracked to avoid melting anything inside (some batteries
don't like taking a schvitz). Wait, that's a different thread.

Anyway. The cap LEDS I have are very yellow (beyond warm - almost yellow
green) compared to the headband light. An avantage for the cap is that the
three switch levels give you three different angles of coverage, with one
suitable for walking. Where I found the greatest difference, oddly enough,
was in daylight working around the van's dashboard. The stronger and much
whiter light of the headband allowed me to see into the shadows. The cap
light was too weak, although it dir the job when I removed it and put the
LEDs right against the label I wanted to read.

I am going to put fresh batteries in both units tonight to compare them and
maybe snap a few picks to show the "light cones" and the light levels. I'll
assure you that when it comes to avoiding dog piles among the many remaining
brown, rotting leaves, I will be reaching for the headband lamp AND the hat
and maybe even a 100 LED showerhead unit, the most unreliable but the
best-illuminating flashlight in the world - why, WHY???).

It may be, as my eyedoc tells me, that as we age, our eyes yellow and seeing
by yellowish light become more difficult (less contrast). Whatever the
reason, the bright white diodes in the headband and the showerhead
flashlight make it much easier for me to see things, especially where subtle
color variations like "hund scheiss or dead leaves?" are important.

The cap's got it's uses. It's remarkably well camoflauged and that's a big,
big plus for people wanting to seem like normal human beings. It protects
the brain, too. No way to put a price on that.

I might even mount my tiny wireless video cam on the hat, too. With a
failing memory, it's probably going to be important for me, or my wife or
the DA to review what I was doing when working with anything dangerous.

--
Bobby G.