Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Ceiling Tile

My next project is to paint a large room in our house. The ceiling is
covered with a type of fiberboard tile with a finish that is made to
look like wood grain. The finish is an off white color, so it looks
like the bark on a white birch tree, sort of. The tiles interlock,
toungue-and-groove, and are of different lengths and widths, so that
it looks like the ceiling is covered with planks.

In one area, the tiles are water stained from when a radiator leaked
on the floor above. I don't want to tear down and replace the whole
ceiling, so I'd like to paint the ceiling and was thinking of some
sort of sealer, like Bullseye White Shellac. Anyone have a better
idea?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 6:28*am, Pavel314 wrote:
My next project is to paint a large room in our house. The ceiling is
covered with a type of fiberboard tile with a finish that is made to
look like wood grain. The finish is an off white color, so it looks
like the bark on a white birch tree, sort of. The tiles interlock,
toungue-and-groove, and are of different lengths and widths, so that
it looks like the ceiling is covered with planks.

In one area, the tiles are water stained from when a radiator leaked
on the floor above. I don't want to tear down and replace the whole
ceiling, so I'd like to paint the ceiling and was thinking of some
sort of sealer, like Bullseye White Shellac. Anyone have a better
idea?

If it was me, and I just wanted to change the color and make it look
better, I would be thinking latex, roller and a pole.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 6:52*am, RonB wrote:
[...]

The OP wants to seal the tiles/planks first to prevent the stains from
coming thru the final coat which is likely to be water-based latex. I
would use any oil-based paint that approximates the original color, or
any oil-based sealer. Choose a finish, gloss, flat, etc, that matches
the current finish so that you don't have to give the ceiling a second
coat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 5:28*am, Pavel314 wrote:
My next project is to paint a large room in our house. The ceiling is
covered with a type of fiberboard tile with a finish that is made to
look like wood grain. The finish is an off white color, so it looks
like the bark on a white birch tree, sort of. The tiles interlock,
toungue-and-groove, and are of different lengths and widths, so that
it looks like the ceiling is covered with planks.

In one area, the tiles are water stained from when a radiator leaked
on the floor above. I don't want to tear down and replace the whole
ceiling, so I'd like to paint the ceiling and was thinking of some
sort of sealer, like Bullseye White Shellac. Anyone have a better
idea?

Does Zinsser still make that white stain sealer? I hoarded 20-30 cans
of the stuff and it still works after being stored badly for over 20
years. Basically a zinc white compound that even seals over redwood
bleed through.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2012 4:28 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
My next project is to paint a large room in our house. The ceiling is
covered with a type of fiberboard tile with a finish that is made to
look like wood grain. The finish is an off white color, so it looks
like the bark on a white birch tree, sort of. The tiles interlock,
toungue-and-groove, and are of different lengths and widths, so that
it looks like the ceiling is covered with planks.

In one area, the tiles are water stained from when a radiator leaked
on the floor above. I don't want to tear down and replace the whole
ceiling, so I'd like to paint the ceiling and was thinking of some
sort of sealer, like Bullseye White Shellac. Anyone have a better
idea?

use the original oil based kilz, (preferably sprayed), then apply a
bright white semi-gloss. IT will be beautiful. BTDT.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 12:28*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
My next project is to paint a large room in our house. The ceiling is
covered with a type of fiberboard tile with a finish that is made to
look like wood grain. The finish is an off white color, so it looks
like the bark on a white birch tree, sort of. The tiles interlock,
toungue-and-groove, and are of different lengths and widths, so that
it looks like the ceiling is covered with planks.

In one area, the tiles are water stained from when a radiator leaked
on the floor above. I don't want to tear down and replace the whole
ceiling, so I'd like to paint the ceiling and was thinking of some
sort of sealer, like Bullseye White Shellac. Anyone have a better
idea?

I would consider a paint sprayer from the hire shop. You will have to
mask surrounding walls etc with tape and newspaper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 07:14:02 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jan 10, 6:52Â*am, RonB wrote:
On Jan 10, 6:28Â*am, Pavel314 wrote:

[...]

I have had very good luck with a simple aerosol acrylic latex white
paint on accoustic tile that has been water spotted/discoloured by
water leaks from the flat roof at the office. Never had any stains
come through unless they got wet again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2012 7:28 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
My next project is to paint a large room in our house. The ceiling is
covered with a type of fiberboard tile with a finish that is made to
look like wood grain. The finish is an off white color, so it looks
like the bark on a white birch tree, sort of. The tiles interlock,
toungue-and-groove, and are of different lengths and widths, so that
it looks like the ceiling is covered with planks.

In one area, the tiles are water stained from when a radiator leaked
on the floor above. I don't want to tear down and replace the whole
ceiling, so I'd like to paint the ceiling and was thinking of some
sort of sealer, like Bullseye White Shellac. Anyone have a better
idea?

I wouldn't use shellac "sealer" in a closed space...powerful fumes.
Most (or all?) of the major paint companies make stain-blocking
primer/sealers. I had a very weird experience using spray shellac
primer to block a cola stain on kitchen ceiling (kids shook a can of
cola and then opened the can ) I gave the primer a couple of coats
and then painted with latex, Ben Moore. After some time, the spots of
cola remained clean while the area around them attracted normal soil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On Jan 10, 12:28 pm, Pavel314 wrote:
My next project is to paint a large room in our house. The ceiling is
covered with a type of fiberboard tile with a finish that is made to
look like wood grain. The finish is an off white color, so it looks
like the bark on a white birch tree, sort of. The tiles interlock,
toungue-and-groove, and are of different lengths and widths, so that
it looks like the ceiling is covered with planks.

In one area, the tiles are water stained from when a radiator leaked
on the floor above. I don't want to tear down and replace the whole
ceiling, so I'd like to paint the ceiling and was thinking of some
sort of sealer, like Bullseye White Shellac. Anyone have a better
idea?

I would consider a paint sprayer from the hire shop. You will have to
mask surrounding walls etc with tape and newspaper.

And the floor, doors, windows. The fine mist will settle on every thing.
Just roll it on as others has suggested. But do tarp the floor. WW

painting a ceiling alecgreen UK diy 17 February 19th 09 11:27 AM
suspended ceiling or ceiling tile Scot Home Repair 10 December 21st 06 01:31 AM
ceramic tile on ceiling - I don't want tile there anymore! moosictchr Home Repair 6 November 26th 06 01:37 PM
Painting Ceiling Juan C. Reyes Home Repair 4 June 19th 05 12:43 AM
Painting of ceiling... Marcus Fox UK diy 2 November 7th 03 07:15 PM