Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default painting a ceiling

Hi

Can any one please tell me what the best and correct way to paint a
large ceiling

Best Regards

Alec
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alecgreen wrote:
Hi

Can any one please tell me what the best and correct way to paint a
large ceiling

Best Regards

Alec

Standing on the floor with a roller, if only because it's easier to see
the bits you've done
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alecgreen" wrote in message
Hi

Can any one please tell me what the best and correct way to paint a
large ceiling

if those diy shows are owt to go by, with a 1/4 inch paintbrush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alecgreen wrote:
Hi

Can any one please tell me what the best and correct way to paint a
large ceiling

Best Regards

Alec

Too vague. What is it you want to know about:
preparation
paint choices
application

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Paint

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Feb, 19:11, alecgreen wrote:
Hi

Can any one please tell me what the best and correct way to paint a
large ceiling

Best Regards

Alec

Assuming you're using a roller on a pole. Start at the window working
on say 1 square metre at a time and work back towards the room, that
way it is easier to see where you have painted. I advise using matt
paint, it is much more forgiving.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:11:25 -0800 (PST)
alecgreen wrote:

Hi

Can any one please tell me what the best and correct way to paint a
large ceiling

Best Regards

Alec

Michaelangelo uses wooden scaffolding, lies on his back and paints
fresco for large ceilings (Sistine Chapel, for instance).

The key is a safe working platform, and keep a wet edge.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

alecgreen wrote:

Hi

Can any one please tell me what the best and correct way to paint a
large ceiling

Best Regards

Alec

Michaelangelo uses wooden scaffolding, lies on his back and paints
fresco for large ceilings (Sistine Chapel, for instance).

The key is a safe working platform, and keep a wet edge.

R.

Apparently not on his back!

Contrary to popular belief, he painted in a standing position, not lying
on his back. According to Vasari, "The work was carried out in extremely
uncomfortable conditions, from his having to work with his head tilted
upwards". Michelangelo described his physical discomfort in a humorous
sonnet accompanied by a little sketch.

Michelangelo's illustration to his sonnet

“Here like a cat in a Lombardy sewer! Swelter and toil!
With my neck puffed out like a pigeon,
belly hanging like an empty sack,
beard pointing at the ceiling, and my brain
fallen backwards in my head!
Breastbone bulging like a harpy’s
and my face, from drips and droplets,
patterned like a marble pavement.
Ribs are poking in my guts; the only way
to counterweight my shoulders is to stick
my butt out. Don’t know where my feet are-
they’re just dancing by themselves!
In front I’ve sagged and stretched; behind,
my back is tauter than an archer’s bow!”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sistine_Chapel_ceiling

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi

Can any one please tell me what the best and correct way to paint a
large ceiling

Best Regards

Alec

I use a flat emulsion and a 150mm paintbrush off a ladder. Do about a
sq metre at a time and don't over stretch. Work from one corner of the
room in grid sections. Have plenty of coffee breaks. Take your time.
It will all be done eventually

Or get the wife to do it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rednadnerb writes:
On 16 Feb, 19:11, alecgreen wrote:
Hi

Can any one please tell me what the best and correct way to paint a
large ceiling

Assuming you're using a roller on a pole. Start at the window working
on say 1 square metre at a time and work back towards the room, that
way it is easier to see where you have painted. I advise using matt
paint, it is much more forgiving.

Also, wear safety glasses when using a roller.
I was quite alarmed at the amount of paint spray
they collected, and you don't want that in your eyes.
ISTR someone in this NG a long time back had to have
some paint removed from their eye surgically.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also, wear safety glasses when using a roller.
I was quite alarmed at the amount of paint spray
they collected, and you don't want that in your eyes.
ISTR someone in this NG a long time back had to have
some paint removed from their eye surgically.

I never use a roller. I've never found one that doesn't spray paint
all over the place. 6 or 8 inch brush and take your time.

It's not the roller that sprays paint, it's the knob on the bottom of
the pole!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Fuxit" wrote in message

Also, wear safety glasses when using a roller.
I was quite alarmed at the amount of paint spray
they collected, and you don't want that in your eyes.
ISTR someone in this NG a long time back had to have
some paint removed from their eye surgically.

I never use a roller. I've never found one that doesn't spray paint
all over the place. 6 or 8 inch brush and take your time.

It's not the roller that sprays paint, it's the knob on the bottom of
the pole!

Well put! I always use a roller (as do decoraters) - after cutting in of
course. You get some droplets but a much quicker, better finish.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:07:52 -0000, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

"Mr Fuxit" wrote in message

Also, wear safety glasses when using a roller.
I was quite alarmed at the amount of paint spray
they collected, and you don't want that in your eyes.
ISTR someone in this NG a long time back had to have
some paint removed from their eye surgically.

I never use a roller. I've never found one that doesn't spray paint
all over the place. 6 or 8 inch brush and take your time.

It's not the roller that sprays paint, it's the knob on the bottom of
the pole!

Its the roller.
No matter how slowly you wrk them they still throw off paint flecks

Well put! I always use a roller (as do decoraters) - after cutting in of
course. You get some droplets but a much quicker, better finish.

I always get a better finish with a big brush.
Although I once used a stirrup pump and bucket of snowcem to do a
workshop. I was 16 yrs old. Great fun. Everything was white from floor
to roof including one of the leccy's coats that hadn't been moved
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I always get a better finish with a big brush.
Although I once used a stirrup pump and bucket of snowcem to do a
workshop. I was 16 yrs old. Great fun. Everything was white from floor
to roof including one of the leccy's coats that hadn't been moved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwgMV5ES92E

great minds think alike...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Alang wrote:

Although I once used a stirrup pump and bucket of snowcem to do a
workshop. I was 16 yrs old. Great fun. Everything was white from floor
to roof including one of the leccy's coats that hadn't been moved

Well, that's possible better than Keith Boadwee.

(Search Google Images - with 'safe' off - if you need explanation... :-)
Obviously not work safe. Restrict yourself to text for explanations.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:49:52 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Alang wrote:

Although I once used a stirrup pump and bucket of snowcem to do a
workshop. I was 16 yrs old. Great fun. Everything was white from floor
to roof including one of the leccy's coats that hadn't been moved

Well, that's possible better than Keith Boadwee.

(Search Google Images - with 'safe' off - if you need explanation... :-)
Obviously not work safe. Restrict yourself to text for explanations.)

No thanks.
I have women and young people present

Painting ceiling... For example: John Smith[_2_] Home Repair 17 June 4th 16 01:15 PM
painting ceiling steve UK diy 4 October 10th 06 09:26 PM
Painting Ceiling Juan C. Reyes Home Repair 4 June 19th 05 12:43 AM
painting up to ceiling chris UK diy 16 December 16th 03 09:25 AM
Painting of ceiling... Marcus Fox UK diy 2 November 7th 03 07:15 PM