Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting ceiling...

For example: John Smith wrote:

I have a medium textured ceiling and it was off-white and I just gone done
painting it with white Behr ceiling paint and a 1/2" roller and I did not
prime, also I mixed the paint really well. It has dried for several hours
now and it looks terrible. I have done plenty of painting in my time but
this was my first ceiling, is it really that different? It is blotchy and
and all I see is lap marks. What did I do wrong? I am obviously going to
re-paint so I am guessing I should prime first and use a bigger roller but
what about the paint, should I use just a flat wall paint? Also, the texture
has a grain to it, do I paint with or against? Please help, thanks.

What kind of texture? Swirl? From the sound of it, the paint has just
"sunk", or been absorbed more
in some areas than others. That happened with our ceiling, previously
painted and with one coat of primer
for the latest job. I assume the ceiling was clean and not heavilly
stained? I would get a shorter nap roller.
1/2" is pretty much like using a rag mop. Let the paint dry well, use
shorter roller and do the "W" thing when
you roll on the paint - paint a "W" shape on about 3x3' area and then
straight same direction and then
straight across it. With a 1/2" roller it seems you would have an
extremely heavy coat in some areas; if heavy
enough, the lap marks probably won't go away. Flat paint?

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.painting

First off you used paint that doesn't have enough solids in it to cover in
one coat.

Next you probably spread the paint too thin. (easy to do with cheap paint)

The 1/2 inch nap should be OK, but the time to prime was before the first
coat of finish paint not in-between coats.

In the future avoid Home Depot or the big box stores for your paint
purchases and head directly to the paint store.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"For example: John Smith" wrote in message
I have a medium textured ceiling and it was off-white and I just gone done
painting it with white Behr ceiling paint and a 1/2" roller and I did not
prime, also I mixed the paint really well. It has dried for several hours
now and it looks terrible. I have done plenty of painting in my time but
this was my first ceiling, is it really that different? It is blotchy and
and all I see is lap marks. What did I do wrong? I am obviously going to
re-paint so I am guessing I should prime first and use a bigger roller but
what about the paint, should I use just a flat wall paint? Also, the

texture
has a grain to it, do I paint with or against? Please help, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.painting

roger is right , the paint you used is junk
try ben moore or sherwin williams paint
buy the best paint they sell for ceilings, s w makes a paint called pro mar
200 which will work well for you
use flat paint , nothing with a sheen
the roller is not the problem 1/2 " is fine,its what a real paint contractor
would use
when you paint again roll in the opposite direction of the first coat
probably don't need to prime with a good quality paint for 2nd coat
though now you may need to use two coats

good luck

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
First off you used paint that doesn't have enough solids in it to cover in
one coat.

Next you probably spread the paint too thin. (easy to do with cheap paint)

The 1/2 inch nap should be OK, but the time to prime was before the first
coat of finish paint not in-between coats.

In the future avoid Home Depot or the big box stores for your paint
purchases and head directly to the paint store.

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
they come up with this striped stuff.

"For example: John Smith" wrote in message
I have a medium textured ceiling and it was off-white and I just gone
done
painting it with white Behr ceiling paint and a 1/2" roller and I did not
prime, also I mixed the paint really well. It has dried for several hours
now and it looks terrible. I have done plenty of painting in my time but
this was my first ceiling, is it really that different? It is blotchy and
and all I see is lap marks. What did I do wrong? I am obviously going to
re-paint so I am guessing I should prime first and use a bigger roller
but
what about the paint, should I use just a flat wall paint? Also, the

texture
has a grain to it, do I paint with or against? Please help, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.painting

Textured ceilings tend to act like a sponge , causing uneven
coverage . I don't believe in one coat coverage . There are always bad
spots . I agree you should have primed . Here's a tip - never use a
cheep roller sleave . You get what you pay
for .

My 2 cents

Posted to alt.home.repair

For example: John Smith wrote:

I have a medium textured ceiling and it was off-white and I just gone
done painting it with white Behr ceiling paint and a 1/2" roller and I
did not prime, also I mixed the paint really well. It has dried for
several hours now and it looks terrible. I have done plenty of painting
in my time but this was my first ceiling, is it really that different?
It is blotchy and and all I see is lap marks. What did I do wrong? I am
obviously going to re-paint so I am guessing I should prime first and
use a bigger roller but what about the paint, should I use just a flat
wall paint? Also, the texture has a grain to it, do I paint with or
against? Please help, thanks.

Were there smokers inhabiting the room for any significant length of time?
If so you could easily end up doing three coats.

How long since it had been painted? Even without smokers being involved,
ceilings often take two coats.

Not to mention, since it is textured, the ceiling may never have been
painted. I've often seen white texture applied to ceilings, and that was
the end of the process. No paint.

For best results, let the ceiling dry well between coats. At least
16 hours. And use a high quality roller cover, not a cheapie. You might
want to use a ¾" nap, it does waste a little paint but you'll get a
thicker coat and better coverage.

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.painting

I appreciate everybody's response, they have been a big help. There have not
been any smokers in the room to my knowledge and after thinking about it, it
doesn't seem like it was ever painted. After I get the better quality paint,
should I prime over the what I just painted or go right over it with the new
paint? Thanks again.

"For example: John Smith" wrote in message
I have a medium textured ceiling and it was off-white and I just gone done
painting it with white Behr ceiling paint and a 1/2" roller and I did not
prime, also I mixed the paint really well. It has dried for several hours
now and it looks terrible. I have done plenty of painting in my time but
this was my first ceiling, is it really that different? It is blotchy and
and all I see is lap marks. What did I do wrong? I am obviously going to
re-paint so I am guessing I should prime first and use a bigger roller but
what about the paint, should I use just a flat wall paint? Also, the
texture has a grain to it, do I paint with or against? Please help, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"For example: John Smith" wrote

..
I appreciate everybody's response, they have been a big help. There have
not been any smokers in the room to my knowledge and after thinking about
it, it doesn't seem like it was ever painted. After I get the better
quality paint, should I prime over the what I just painted or go right over
it with the new paint? Thanks again.

Grin, the first layer will largely act like a primer now. Yes, it would be
a little better if you prime again but I dont think it will be visible
enough to matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.painting

It cant hurt to do so . I have had problems with textured ceilings
needing primer and multiple coats of paint . Like I said before , they
can be like sponges . Especially if it was textured and never painted
before that paint job you gave it . I'm sure others would agree ! Good
Luck

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.painting

For example: John Smith wrote:

I appreciate everybody's response, they have been a big help. There have not
been any smokers in the room to my knowledge and after thinking about it, it
doesn't seem like it was ever painted. After I get the better quality paint,
should I prime over the what I just painted or go right over it with the new
paint? Thanks again.

You already have paint on it, so priming over that would seem useless.

"For example: John Smith" wrote in message

I have a medium textured ceiling and it was off-white and I just gone done
painting it with white Behr ceiling paint and a 1/2" roller and I did not
prime, also I mixed the paint really well. It has dried for several hours
now and it looks terrible. I have done plenty of painting in my time but
this was my first ceiling, is it really that different? It is blotchy and
and all I see is lap marks. What did I do wrong? I am obviously going to
re-paint so I am guessing I should prime first and use a bigger roller but
what about the paint, should I use just a flat wall paint? Also, the
texture has a grain to it, do I paint with or against? Please help, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For example: John Smith wrote:

I appreciate everybody's response, they have been a big help. There have
not been any smokers in the room to my knowledge and after thinking
about it, it doesn't seem like it was ever painted. After I get the
better quality paint, should I prime over the what I just painted or go
right over it with the new paint? Thanks again.

A never painted textured ceiling will really suck up the paint. Since the
first coat is already done, I wouldn't bother with primer. If you have
enough for second coat, use up the Beher paint. I've used it a few times
and it is not bad paint. Go with a very nappy roller, maybe even 1 inch.

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.painting

For example: John Smith wrote:
I have a medium textured ceiling and it was off-white and I just
gone done painting it with white Behr ceiling paint and a 1/2"
roller and I did not prime, also I mixed the paint really well. It
has dried for several hours now and it looks terrible. I have done
plenty of painting in my time but this was my first ceiling, is it
really that different? It is blotchy and and all I see is lap
marks.

You are seeing that because several hours is not *nearly* enough dry
time to tell how it will look when really dry. A week - at a
minimum - would be more like it. The blotchiness and lap marks are
because some areas have more paint than others and the thinly covered
areas have dried more.

That isn't to say you'll not need another coat but I suggest you wait
a week or two before deciding.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.painting
SBH SBH is offline

"Roemax" wrote in message
roger is right , the paint you used is junk

I have to disagree with you on that. I've not only used Behr paint for all
my indoor painting, but Consumer reports rated is at the top in an issue
towards the end of last year. Though now, I'll honestly state the latest
issue moved Behr to third but it's still a great paint. I've had nothing but
success with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.painting

On Mar 17, 5:45 pm, "SBH" wrote:
"Roemax" wrote in message

roger is right , the paint you used is junk

I have to disagree with you on that. I've not only used Behr paint for all
my indoor painting, but Consumer reports rated is at the top in an issue
towards the end of last year. Though now, I'll honestly state the latest
issue moved Behr to third but it's still a great paint. I've had nothing but
success with it.

We have popcorn ceilings. The bedrooms had obviously been painted
before (ceilings) because they just looked white and painted. The
great room with it's cathedral ceilings clearly had not and neither
had the laundry room. I started out with a roller made for textured
ceilings - cost a good bit - and rolled the laundry room ceiling. I
let it dry and did it again. You could not tell I had painted it. I
used moderate priced paint but not real cheap stuff - it was for
ceilings. My husband painted the great room. He used the same paint
but used a different roller....just an ordinary roller with short
nap. It worked as well as my "textured" special. Those type of
ceilings - even after two coats - just don't look great. I am pretty
sure it was spray painted the first time. It is like stucco. It
soaks up paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SBH wrote:
"Roemax" wrote in message
roger is right , the paint you used is junk

I have to disagree with you on that. I've not only used Behr paint for
all my indoor painting, but Consumer reports rated is at the top in an
issue towards the end of last year. Though now, I'll honestly state the
latest issue moved Behr to third but it's still a great paint. I've had
nothing but success with it.

I used it once years ago on an interior job, and I thought it was good
paint, but not outstanding.

This spring I used some Behr exterior paint, the kind that claims to be a
primer and finish coat all in one, and I was very impressed. One coat got
passable coverage on bare, new, never painted plywood.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.painting

On Mar 18, 3:19�pm, GWB wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:45:07 -0400, "SBH"
wrote:

"Roemax" wrote in message
roger is right , the paint you used is junk

I have to disagree with you on that. I've not only used Behr paint for all
my indoor painting, but Consumer reports rated is at the top in an issue
towards the end of last year. Though now, I'll honestly state the latest
issue moved Behr to third but it's still a great paint. I've had nothing but
success with it.

Same here.
I use Behr Ultra for everything.

behr is owned by home depot, they dont want to screw their customers.
unnecessarily.

paint is excellent, and wears very well
Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.painting

replying to hallerb, soccerdad wrote:
Home Depot also sells Glidden Paint. For the price I paid I was very pleased
with the results. For sure going to use Glidden on my next weekend project

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ng-294192-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

popcorn cielings are no longer popular. they make the home look like your trying to cover up a defect.

might be better to scrape the texturing all away, prep the cieling and paint with a primer before regular paint.

i too love the behr paint

painting ceiling steve UK diy 4 October 10th 06 09:26 PM
Painting Ceiling Juan C. Reyes Home Repair 4 June 19th 05 12:43 AM
painting a map onto a ceiling [email protected] Home Ownership 7 June 10th 05 04:53 AM
painting up to ceiling chris UK diy 16 December 16th 03 09:25 AM
Painting of ceiling... Marcus Fox UK diy 2 November 7th 03 07:15 PM