Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ceramic tile on ceiling - I don't want tile there anymore!

Okay, I've just ripped out my entire tub surround (which was itself
surround by tile), found damage and will be ripping everything out and
putting up new cementboard. (Oh yeah, I've never done this before! ha
ha!) Anyway, there was tile on the ceiling, too, which I don't want
anymore. I'll be putting up another tub surround and would like to
have the ceiling just flat and painted. There is of course adhesive
there. Do I sand it down and smooth it out and level out the surface
(if so, with what?) or do I have to take the whole ceiling down?
Beyond the tiling is just the plain ceiling... Please help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

moosictchr wrote:
Okay, I've just ripped out my entire tub surround (which was itself
surround by tile), found damage and will be ripping everything out and
putting up new cementboard. (Oh yeah, I've never done this before! ha
ha!) Anyway, there was tile on the ceiling, too, which I don't want
anymore. I'll be putting up another tub surround and would like to
have the ceiling just flat and painted. There is of course adhesive
there. Do I sand it down and smooth it out and level out the surface
(if so, with what?) or do I have to take the whole ceiling down?
Beyond the tiling is just the plain ceiling... Please help!

If you have a relatively smooth surface after removing tiles then I
think you can skim coat and paint. It can be kind of a crappy job to
take the ceiling down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence wrote:
moosictchr wrote:
Okay, I've just ripped out my entire tub surround (which was itself
surround by tile), found damage and will be ripping everything out and
putting up new cementboard. (Oh yeah, I've never done this before! ha
ha!) Anyway, there was tile on the ceiling, too, which I don't want
anymore. I'll be putting up another tub surround and would like to
have the ceiling just flat and painted. There is of course adhesive
there. Do I sand it down and smooth it out and level out the surface
(if so, with what?) or do I have to take the whole ceiling down?
Beyond the tiling is just the plain ceiling... Please help!

If you have a relatively smooth surface after removing tiles then I
think you can skim coat and paint. It can be kind of a crappy job to
take the ceiling down.

It's pretty bumpy....what do I skim coat it with?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"moosictchr" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do I sand it down and smooth it out and level out the surface
(if so, with what?) or do I have to take the whole ceiling down?
Beyond the tiling is just the plain ceiling... Please help!

Probably easiest to just add a layer of drywall (greenboard) and tape and
paint it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"moosictchr" wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay, I've just ripped out my entire tub surround (which was itself
surround by tile), found damage and will be ripping everything out and
putting up new cementboard. (Oh yeah, I've never done this before! ha
ha!) Anyway, there was tile on the ceiling, too, which I don't want
anymore. I'll be putting up another tub surround and would like to
have the ceiling just flat and painted. There is of course adhesive
there. Do I sand it down and smooth it out and level out the surface
(if so, with what?) or do I have to take the whole ceiling down?
Beyond the tiling is just the plain ceiling... Please help!

You can install new sheet rock over the existing drywall without removing
it. You might want to score around the damaged area and pull the paper from
the drywall in that area. Use 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 drywall screws and construction
adhesive applied to the existing drywall to secure the new wallboard. Trying
to flash coat over the existing damage will be hard to hide and maybe more
susceptible to damage from the high humidity in the bathroom.

Used this method to repair quite a few bath celings and it works great, just
make sure to mark so that the drywall screws are placed into the studs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

moosictchr wrote:

It's pretty bumpy....what do I skim coat it with?

Drywall mud.