Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default ceramic tile on ceiling - I don't want tile there anymore!

moosictchr wrote:
Okay, I've just ripped out my entire tub surround (which was itself
surround by tile), found damage and will be ripping everything out and
putting up new cementboard. (Oh yeah, I've never done this before! ha
ha!) Anyway, there was tile on the ceiling, too, which I don't want
anymore. I'll be putting up another tub surround and would like to
have the ceiling just flat and painted. There is of course adhesive
there. Do I sand it down and smooth it out and level out the surface
(if so, with what?) or do I have to take the whole ceiling down?
Beyond the tiling is just the plain ceiling... Please help!

If you have a relatively smooth surface after removing tiles then I
think you can skim coat and paint. It can be kind of a crappy job to
take the ceiling down.