Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Main breaker panel 100 Amps

Does anybody know of a main breaker panel rated 100 Amps?

This is for a small barn. I don't need 20-odd circuits, and the
existing feed is only 40A.

I want a main breaker in the barn so I can cut power. The house is
200ft+ away. Only thing I can find smaller than a full 100A panel is a
"Main Lug" type, which has no way to cut power without running all the
way back to the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does anybody know of a main breaker panel rated 100 Amps?

This is for a small barn. I don't need 20-odd circuits, and the
existing feed is only 40A.

I want a main breaker in the barn so I can cut power. The house is
200ft+ away. Only thing I can find smaller than a full 100A panel is a
"Main Lug" type, which has no way to cut power without running all the
way back to the house.

*Use a main lug panel. Install a 40 amp breaker in the spaces provided for
branch circuit breakers. Install a hold-down clip to secure the 40 amp
breaker in place. On the label inside of the circuit breaker panel should
be a part number for the hold-down clip which you most likely have to get
from an electrical supply company. Connect your feed wire to the 40 amp
breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 12:46*pm, wrote:
Does anybody know of a main breaker panel rated 100 Amps?

This is for a small barn. I don't need 20-odd circuits, and the
existing feed is only 40A.

I want a main breaker in the barn so I can cut power. The house is
200ft+ away. Only thing I can find smaller than a full 100A panel is a
"Main Lug" type, which has no way to cut power without running all the
way back to the house.

How many circuits do you currently have installed ?

You can use a "Main Lug" type panel fed from a general duty "safety
switch" which would allow you to disconnect power to the entire
panel...

You can install such a switch immediately adjacent to the small panel
which you are feeding... They are available in indoor rated and
outdoor
rated in amperage capacities from 30 through 600...

Don't try and "rig up" a feed through a circuit breaker into the panel
as you can buy one of the general duty safety switches and be able
to kill all power entering the sub-panel and be able to do any work
on it in the future with everything inside of it de-energized...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 4, 12:46*pm, wrote:
Does anybody know of a main breaker panel rated 100 Amps?

This is for a small barn. I don't need 20-odd circuits, and the
existing feed is only 40A.

I want a main breaker in the barn so I can cut power. The house is
200ft+ away. Only thing I can find smaller than a full 100A panel is a
"Main Lug" type, which has no way to cut power without running all the
way back to the house.

Do you even need a breaker or fuses? How about just a disconnect
switch next to the existing panel. I'm ASSuming for purposes of this
post that you ahve a 40A breaker in the house and that it is feeding a
subpanel in the barn.

nate