zxcvbob

Default Breaker panel with main fuses?

Does anyone make a 100A, 125A, 150A, or 200A service panel that uses
breakers for the circuits but has fusible pull-outs for the mains? I've
been looking at Square-D's catalog, but I don't see anything like that.

I don't need one; I'm just curious. It would be great for being
absolutely certain that you were not still connected to the grid if you
needed to backfeed with a generator during an extended power outage.
You wouldn't need a transfer switch; pulling out the main fuses would be
a positive mechanical disconnect.

Bob

I don't need one; I'm just curious. It would be great for being
absolutely certain that you were not still connected to the grid if you
needed to backfeed with a generator during an extended power outage.
You wouldn't need a transfer switch; pulling out the main fuses would be
a positive mechanical disconnect.

You could always do that in a separate box.
The problem with using that to isolate yourself from
the grid INSTEAD of a transfer switch is that it's
still possible for a bone-head to forget that step,
and fire up the generator with the main still in.
The point of a transfer switch is that, barring a
strange mechanical failure, it's not possible to
connect the generator to the grid, it's either/or.

Which is more likely to get it wrong,
the person running the system, or the transfer switch?

Tekkie

zxcvbob posted for all of us....

Does anyone make a 100A, 125A, 150A, or 200A service panel that uses
breakers for the circuits but has fusible pull-outs for the mains? I've
been looking at Square-D's catalog, but I don't see anything like that.

I don't need one; I'm just curious. It would be great for being
absolutely certain that you were not still connected to the grid if you
needed to backfeed with a generator during an extended power outage.
You wouldn't need a transfer switch; pulling out the main fuses would be
a positive mechanical disconnect.

Bob

Geeezzzus, just get a transfer switch! Why not do something correct (right)
from the git go? Why futz around with it? WHY WHY WHY???
--
Tekkie

zxcvbob

Tekkie wrote:
zxcvbob posted for all of us....

Does anyone make a 100A, 125A, 150A, or 200A service panel that uses
breakers for the circuits but has fusible pull-outs for the mains? I've
been looking at Square-D's catalog, but I don't see anything like that.

I don't need one; I'm just curious. It would be great for being
absolutely certain that you were not still connected to the grid if you
needed to backfeed with a generator during an extended power outage.
You wouldn't need a transfer switch; pulling out the main fuses would be
a positive mechanical disconnect.

Bob

Geeezzzus, just get a transfer switch! Why not do something correct (right)
from the git go? Why futz around with it? WHY WHY WHY???

Cuz then we wouldn't have anything to talk about...

Best regards,
Bob
Chris Lewis

According to zxcvbob :
You wouldn't need a transfer switch; pulling out the main fuses would be
a positive mechanical disconnect.

A positive mechanical disconnect, but not a foolproof _transfer_ mechanism.

The code insists on it being impossible to reverse energize the grid
from the generator and vice-versa.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est