Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screw Plastic Bucket Connector??????

I am looking for ideas for a connector to draw fluid out of a 5-gallon plastic bucket. The liquid, a silicone resin, is quite viscous. I've made threaded fittings for the extendable, disposable spout and cap, but a fragile thing like that eventually leaks. I'm leaning toward a permanent fitting attached to the disposable lid (which tends not to leak when the bucket is inverted for use), but I'd rather have something that doesn't require removing the lid.

I recall using a fitting for a plastic container that consisted of a sharp, screw-threaded end with a hole through the blade that was "punched" into the plastic and turned, and the threads would force the back end of the threaded portion (that had a rubber washer) firmly up against the plastic surface. Even with a thin material like water or turpentine, it didn't leak. It was removed when the bucket was empty and used for the next bucket.

Anyone know where I might get SOME device for quick and leak-free connection to a disposable, 5-gallon plastic bucket? Or any other ideas?

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2012 7:05 AM, gmark wrote:
[...]

Sure. Use what you described, but make it long enough to go almost to
the bottom of the pail. Then add a second fitting to the top so you can
used compressed air to force the material out the first device and into
whatever you desire.

Or is you really get fancy, make the first device coaxial so the
compressed air can also be forced into the bucket at that location.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/4/2012 9:05 AM, gmark wrote:
I am looking for ideas for a connector to draw fluid out of a
5-gallon plastic bucket. The liquid, a silicone resin, is quite
viscous. ...I'd rather have something that doesn't require removing the lid.

I recall using a fitting for a plastic container that consisted of a
sharp, screw-threaded end with a hole through the blade...

Anyone know where I might get SOME device for quick and leak-free

connection to a disposable, 5-gallon plastic bucket? Or any other ideas?

I've got one similar to this in a bucket of SAE90 for small gearboxes...

http://www.petcarerx.com/catalog/productdetails.aspx?pid=14549&&id=1776

if the dispensed volume at a time isn't large.

Otherwise, you could go to the pumps, either hand or even air...

http://www.nextag.com/Vestil-Manual-Drum-and-789663195/prices-html

I know the device of which you're thinking; I don't have a source
offhand, though.

I think one could manufacture one from a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" pipe
(start w/ a threaded nipple, cut on diagonal and sharpen, add a locking
ring/gasket) or copper (use a threaded fitting/solder connection and
repeat above general idea) if push came to shove...

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about one of the buckets like paint comes in that have a
pour spout and mixing hole in the lid?

http://www.5gallonbuckets.com/
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G

Special Screw/Connector Rod UK diy 16 January 6th 09 08:06 PM
OT? Metal or plastic bucket for man lift nick hull Metalworking 9 November 1st 08 03:19 PM
Tape for screw joints on water connector to washing machine? Chris S UK diy 7 April 25th 08 09:51 PM
Genie Garage door opener Screw Drive Connector timwilson Home Repair 0 January 28th 08 11:23 PM
16 Pin Plastic Connector Make : Hirose [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 October 12th 07 11:18 AM