Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT The metric conversion of the US would happen if they taught itin school.

On Jan 3, 4:05*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Jan 2, 11:42*pm, harry wrote:

On Jan 2, 10:20*pm, "

wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:44:11 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"

wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message
Davej wrote the following:
On Dec 30, 2:25 pm, "Charlie" wrote:
[...]
...And another thing would be to start packaging goods in kilograms. You
can heft a package and guess that it weighed about 5 pounds. Until you
can
judge *a couple of kilos that way you will never become adept at the
conversion.

Yes, we never get the feel for it. Plenty of US kids learn the metric
system in school, but they never get to the point where they can
estimate how much something weighs in Kilograms or estimate how many
Liters a quantity of liquid is.

Having to Learn something that one may never use in real live is a waste
of time and money.
Classes teaching metrics should be limited to those who intend to go on to
careers where metrics are actually used.
It's like having to learn Latin.

Learning Latin has many uses
* *One of them is "stretching" intellectual capacity and ability
Some people would use the same argument about Addition, Subtraction,
Multiplication and Division. After all who needs it since we can use
calculators to do those

I need to be able to do arithmetic to know when the calculator is "lying" to
me. *I also need it to know what to stick into the calculator.

Knowing Latin has no such use.- Hide quoted text -

Knowing Latin give the basis/grammatical structure for most European
languages.- Hide quoted text -

As would studying any of the romantic languages and the end result
would be a useable knowledge of a real language.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

What is a "romantic language"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 8:42*pm, "Attila.Iskander" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Jan 3, 1:25 am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 1/2/2012 4:21 PM, wrote:

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:40:52 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"
*wrote:

"Ed *wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:09:40 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

We never had "cups".

Women don't wear bras in your country?

* * Oh wicked...

Maybe they're called "Stone holders"

"Over-the-shoulder-bolder-holders"

Mellon management and suspension systems? o_O

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I can see you havea obsession with this topic.

Now you're just doing more stupid projection
* * (No big surprise)

Are they metric or imperial dimensions in America?
http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?ne...%3DldfLfhofpDg

Funny you should ask
They use cups with alphabetic sequencing..
* * As in A Cup, B Cup, C Cup, etc.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, we use similar terminology. Dunno if the sizes are the same or
not.

Duf seems to use gallons. But everything was bigger in America at one
time. Or was that Texas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 3:06*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 14:43:54 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Learning Latin has many uses
* *One of them is "stretching" intellectual capacity and ability

I had two years of Latin in high school *All I remember is Amo, Amas,
Amat and Veni Vidi Vici. * If I had Spanish I may have actually used
it over the past 50 years. Or French, Polish, or Italian.

Funny how my Latin set the ground work to easily learn French Spanish and
Romanian
* *But hey, I paid attention in the one year that I had to study Latin.

I had a 90+ grade for Latin, but after two years, I had no other
language options in school. *Had I been given the choice to take a
different language the second year, it may have made a real
difference. *At the time (high school) after two years of a dead
language, I had no interest in going to anything our of school just to
learn another. *Thirty years later I wish I had.- Hide quoted text -

There are adult education classesin the UK for such stuff. Used to be
free for the retired but of late they have started charging.
There is still U3A which is free.
http://www.u3a.org.uk/
Don't you have it in America?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 00:11:23 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

As would studying any of the romantic languages and the end result
would be a useable knowledge of a real language.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

What is a "romantic language"?

Lies you tell in hopes of getting laid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2012 2:04 AM, harry wrote:
On Jan 3, 8:59 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 1/3/2012 1:47 AM, harry wrote:

wrote:

We never had "cups".

Women don't wear bras in your country?

Oh wicked...

Maybe they're called "Stone holders"

"Over-the-shoulder-bolder-holders"

Mellon management and suspension systems? o_O

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I can see you havea obsession with this topic.
Are they metric or imperial dimensions in America?
http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?ne...%3DldfLfhofpDg

Darn, that was an old TV show. I don't understand the infatuation with
large breasts, a 5 gallon bucket sized is enough. ^_^

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Anything more than a good handful is wasted.
But then youYanks always go for excess.
NB. Buckets over here are around two gallons. How far can you carry a
five gallon bucket?

It all depends on what's in the bucket and its density. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

As would studying any of the romantic languages and the end result
would be a useable knowledge of a real language.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

What is a "romantic language"?

Lies you tell in hopes of getting laid.

Ah. Pretty universal that I should imagine!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 5:31*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 1/4/2012 2:04 AM, harry wrote:

On Jan 3, 8:59 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 1/3/2012 1:47 AM, harry wrote:

* * *wrote:

news:ue0tf710guk6ps13atl8k2rco1vj34228f@4ax. com...
wrote:

We never had "cups".

Women don't wear bras in your country?

* * * Oh wicked...

Maybe they're called "Stone holders"

"Over-the-shoulder-bolder-holders"

Mellon management and suspension systems? o_O

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I can see you havea obsession with this topic.
Are they metric or imperial dimensions in America?
http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?ne...%3DldfLfhofpDg

Darn, that was an old TV show. I don't understand the infatuation with
large breasts, a 5 gallon bucket sized is enough. ^_^

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Anything more than a good handful is wasted.
But then youYanks always go for excess.
NB. Buckets over here are around two gallons. *How far can you carry a
five gallon bucket?

It all depends on what's in the bucket and its density. ^_^

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I suppose. Fat floats on water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

99% of the population couldn't tell you if something weighed 1lb or
10lbs just by holding it.

....and when would you EVER need to know how many quarts are in a 2
liter bottle of soda?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

wrote:

Learning Latin has many uses
One of them is "stretching" intellectual capacity and ability

I had two years of Latin in high school All I remember is Amo, Amas,
Amat and Veni Vidi Vici. If I had Spanish I may have actually used
it over the past 50 years. Or French, Polish, or Italian.

Funny how my Latin set the ground work to easily learn French Spanish and
Romanian
But hey, I paid attention in the one year that I had to study Latin.

And had you spent that year learning any one of those, you would have:

1. Had a useable second language

Latin was a "useable 2nd Language".
I was able to have conversation with a R.C. Priest from Africa who spoke
Zulu and Latin

2. Also had the same knowledge to help learning the others also.

I disagree,
The Latin made it a lot easier and faster to learn the other 3.
Not to mention that I can still read Latin text even today.

Your point-of-view is extremely short-sighted

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 8:59 am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 1/3/2012 1:47 AM, harry wrote:

On Jan 3, 1:25 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 1/2/2012 4:21 PM, wrote:

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:40:52 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"
wrote:

m...

wrote:

We never had "cups".

Women don't wear bras in your country?

Oh wicked...

Maybe they're called "Stone holders"

"Over-the-shoulder-bolder-holders"

Mellon management and suspension systems? o_O

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I can see you havea obsession with this topic.
Are they metric or imperial dimensions in America?
http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?ne...%3DldfLfhofpDg

Darn, that was an old TV show. I don't understand the infatuation with
large breasts, a 5 gallon bucket sized is enough. ^_^

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Anything more than a good handful is wasted.
But then youYanks always go for excess.

More stupid projection
Wasn't the first actress with breast implants British ?

NB. Buckets over here are around two gallons.
How far can you carry a five gallon bucket?

As far as you need.
You must be a total wuss, if you are limited to a 2-gallon bucket

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On Jan 4, 5:31 pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 1/4/2012 2:04 AM, harry wrote:

On Jan 3, 8:59 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 1/3/2012 1:47 AM, harry wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That may explain about your brain acting as a flotation device

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 1/2/2012 4:21 PM, wrote:

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:40:52 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

We never had "cups".

Women don't wear bras in your country?

Oh wicked...

Maybe they're called "Stone holders"

"Over-the-shoulder-bolder-holders"

Mellon management and suspension systems? o_O

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I can see you havea obsession with this topic.

Now you're just doing more stupid projection
(No big surprise)

Are they metric or imperial dimensions in America?
http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?ne...%3DldfLfhofpDg

Funny you should ask
They use cups with alphabetic sequencing..
As in A Cup, B Cup, C Cup, etc.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, we use similar terminology. Dunno if the sizes are the same or
not.

Duf seems to use gallons. But everything was bigger in America at one
time. Or was that Texas?

Quebec is FAR, FAR bigger than Texas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 23:42:22 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message
Davej wrote the following:
[...]

So what, dummy? Sturying the languages themselves will give a far better
understanding of their grammar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 23:57:15 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

On Jan 3, 7:36*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 1/2/2012 7:53 PM, wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 19:25:21 -0600, The Daring Dufas
*wrote:

On 1/2/2012 4:21 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:40:52 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"
* wrote:

m...
wrote:

We never had "cups".

Women don't wear bras in your country?

* * *Oh wicked...

Maybe they're called "Stone holders"

"Over-the-shoulder-bolder-holders"

Mellon management and suspension systems? o_O

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^
Looks like yours needs an alignment. * * * *|

Hey, one is naturally larger than the other. I used to get in trouble in
high school when I would explain to girls how their body worked and
its characteristics.

Very interesting. Sounds quite pervy. Tell us more

Hey Duf, I think dumb harry has the hots for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2012 8:22 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 23:57:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:

^
Looks like yours needs an alignment. |

Hey, one is naturally larger than the other. I used to get in trouble in
high school when I would explain to girls how their body worked and
its characteristics.

Very interesting. Sounds quite pervy. Tell us more

Hey Duf, I think dumb harry has the hots for you.

Na, I consider Harry a friend even though we may disagree on many things
political. I cherish my culturally and politically divergent
friends. Conversing with only those you agree with is tediously boring
for me and my P.L.L.C.F. friends keep me on my toes. ^_^

"Liberals are the barking dogs of society, they bark at everything and
nothing but you have to go look before you yell at them to shut up."
Monsterism #37

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Your point-of-view is extremely *short-sighted- Hide quoted text -

Your example is extremely unlikely for the aveage person. I would a
lot sooner spend a year studying a language that I have some
likliehood of actuallyusing. Of course with a year's latin I couild
always go down to the RC church I suppose for a conversation.

On the subject of 2nd languages: English must be a nightmare for
anyone brought up in a highly structured language where gender/
declension/conjugation have real meaning. I was immersed 8hr/5day
week in Syracuse University 3 times for Russian as my military
specialty (30 months total). Now _that_ is a structured language.
Only look at a noun and you know gender and full declension with only
a few excpetions - so few you were given a list of them, less than 10
IIRC. Same with verbs. Doubt I could do it today as I have been out
of it for 40 years with no use.

Then I tried to learn German while stationed there. Gave it up as it
is almost as bad as English, i.e., gender counts but there is no way
under god's sky to tell what gender any noun is - they all have to be
memorized. At least with English, if you can pronounce the word you
can do anything with it and be understood.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 7:52*pm, "Attila.Iskander" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Jan 3, 8:59 am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 1/3/2012 1:47 AM, harry wrote:

On Jan 3, 1:25 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 1/2/2012 4:21 PM, wrote:

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:40:52 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"
* *wrote:

m...

wrote:

[...]

You must be a total wuss, if you are limited to a 2-gallon bucket- Hide quoted text -

Our gallons are bigger than yours.
But then you don't know about anything that happens more than a
hundred miles away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 1/2/2012 4:21 PM, wrote:

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:40:52 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"
*wrote:

. ..

wrote:

We never had "cups".

Women don't wear bras in your country?

* * Oh wicked...

Maybe they're called "Stone holders"

"Over-the-shoulder-bolder-holders"

Mellon management and suspension systems? o_O

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I can see you havea obsession with this topic.

Now you're just doing more stupid projection
* * (No big surprise)

Are they metric or imperial dimensions in America?
http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?ne...%3DldfLfhofpDg

Funny you should ask
They use cups with alphabetic sequencing..
* * As in A Cup, B Cup, C Cup, etc.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, we use similar terminology. * Dunno if the sizes are the same or
not.

Duf seems to use gallons. *But everything was bigger in America at one
time. *Or was that Texas?

Quebec is FAR, FAR bigger than Texas.- Hide quoted text -

They have ranches in Australia bigger than Texas.
Most Texans don't know/believe this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^
Looks like yours needs an alignment. * * * *|

Hey, one is naturally larger than the other. I used to get in trouble in
high school when I would explain to girls how their body worked and
its characteristics.

Very interesting. Sounds quite pervy. Tell us more

Hey Duf, I think dumb harry has the hots for you.

Na, I consider Harry a friend even though we may disagree on many things
political. I cherish my culturally and politically divergent
friends. Conversing with only those you agree with is tediously boring
for me and my P.L.L.C.F. friends keep me on my toes. ^_^

"Liberals are the barking dogs of society, they bark at everything and
nothing but you have to go look before you yell at them to shut up."
Monsterism #37

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Duf, you haven't told us about your pervy teenage fantansies.

When I was at school we had this young and pretty English teacher.
She had a high stool in front of the class.
There was bitter competition to get the couple of seats in front of
her where you could see her knickers.
We would have bets as to what colour she would be wearing on that
day.
Heh Heh.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I belong to a German group. We meet once a month, Tomorrow in fact.
Only German is allowed to be spoken. We only have two real Germans.
I have a good German accent & reasonable vocabulary but my grammar is
poor.
Most of the Krauts seem to speak English anyway which doesn't help
when learning German..
I think to improve I would need total immersion.

I speak enough Spanish to get by plus a smattering of French and
Arabic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 02:25:32 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

I belong to a German group. We meet once a month, Tomorrow in fact.
Only German is allowed to be spoken. We only have two real Germans.
I have a good German accent & reasonable vocabulary but my grammar is
poor.
Most of the Krauts seem to speak English anyway which doesn't help
when learning German..
I think to improve I would need total immersion.

I speak enough Spanish to get by plus a smattering of French and
Arabic.

With such a large area of only English speaking, a second language is
rarely needed in the US. Europe is much more advanced linguistically.
Travel just a few miles and you are in another country and another
language. My grandfather spoke 7 when he came to this country.

Fortunately, many European schools teach English, thus making it easy
for tourists from here. Helps to know a few words of the native
language though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

All the swear words? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2012 4:25 AM, harry wrote:
On Jan 5, 4:39 am, Harry wrote:
On Jan 4, 11:47 am,
wrote:

"Harry wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Hell, just standardize with Esperanto. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2012 4:15 AM, harry wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Heck, I was downright awful during my sophomoric hormonal development
years. Sexual harassment hadn't been invented yet and I grabbed my share
of post pubescent protuberances while getting slapped in the process.
Darn, growing up was difficult at times. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2012 4:09 AM, harry wrote:
On Jan 4, 7:54 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 3, 8:42 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Duh! Alaska is bigger than Texas, California and Montana combined. It's
one fifth the size of the lower 48 states and little old Texas dwarfs
most countries. Russia is the biggest bear around. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:je43nq$7lg$2
@dont-email.me:

wrote:

[...]

Just remember, when ordering accompaniments to your toast in French,
don't order "preservatives", but "confiture".

Preservatives = rubbers

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most important are the "bedroom" words and phrases.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 4:12*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 1/5/2012 4:25 AM, harry wrote:

On Jan 5, 4:39 am, Harry *wrote:
On Jan 4, 11:47 am,
wrote:

"Harry *wrote in message

On Jan 3, 12:43 pm,
wrote:

om...

*wrote:

[...]

No need. English has become the international standard as much as the
French hate to admit it.

Haryr K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message

On Jan 3, 8:59 am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 1/3/2012 1:47 AM, harry wrote:

On Jan 3, 1:25 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 1/2/2012 4:21 PM, wrote:

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:40:52 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"
wrote:

m...

wrote:

[...]

I know about "imperial gallons" you stupid dolt
You're only taking 20% bigger.
Which translates to about 2 lbs more per gallon if using it to carry water.

But then you don't know about anything that happens more than a
hundred miles away.

When you ASSume stupid things, you just prove you're an ASS, harry

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

LOL
Not surprised you would order "preservative" instead of jam.

School sales...do they happen any more? Too_Many_Tools Woodworking 6 May 9th 09 12:06 AM
School sales...do they happen any more? GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 0 May 7th 09 02:16 AM
School sales...do they happen any more? Joe Metalworking 0 May 7th 09 01:50 AM
0T: metric conversion George UK diy 71 June 9th 08 01:23 PM
BA to metric conversion Mike Francis Metalworking 15 June 12th 05 01:14 AM