Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default School sales...do they happen any more?

In the past I usually found the best quality buys from schools that
were selling off shops.

Is anyone seeing this happen any more or has it become stuff for metal/
woodworking legends?

Also I would like to hear of some of your experiences...the gloats,
the losses, the memories.

Thanks

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Here on the west coast (of the USA) a company called Interschola seems
to have cornered the market on liquidations and the pace is
incredible. I have seen hundreds of machines going out the door. I got
a few myself. I found them on eBay and I'm not sure but that might be
their exclusive method.

On eBay unders the Stores tab, search on store name Interschola.
Unfortunately right now I don't see any woodshop equipment but you can
probably contact them and see whats coming up.

On May 6, 12:49*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In the past I usually found the best quality buys from schools that
were selling off shops.

Is anyone seeing this happen any more or has it become stuff for metal/
woodworking legends?

Also I would like to hear of some of your experiences...the gloats,
the losses, the memories.

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 6 May 2009 12:49:30 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

In the past I usually found the best quality buys from schools that
were selling off shops.

Is anyone seeing this happen any more or has it become stuff for metal/
woodworking legends?

Locally we seem to have one auctioneer that has the school district
contract. Normally he has at least one school auction a year.
Sometimes there might be shop tools and other times it might be desks
or tables or whatever and no tools.
Two years ago I bought an early 60's Uni with a 52" Bies and a Bies
overhead guard. I had to have the bearings done but sold the overhead
guard for about half of what the saw cost.
They also had a half dozen old Rockwell floor drill presses that went
for about $150 each. I shoulda bought one but figured I was in enough
trouble for hauling the saw home.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Do a search for State Surplus Auctions. Many states have surplus
auctions, though they may contract a particular auction firm to handle
the sales.

Here in Louisiana there is a sale each month and sometimes twice a
month. We have a site we can view pics of some items and a booklet
listing all the items. Your state might have something similar. Our
state auction is not an online auction. We have to go to the physical
site and bid on the items as they come up.
http://www.doa.louisiana.gov/lpaa/auction%20listing.htm

You might check out the Military auctions, also. This site is pretty
thorough. This is an online auction: http://www.govliquidation.com/
Note at the top of the page you can search by item, state or
manufacturer. Or page to the right for category listings.

Sonny
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On May 6, 1:49*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In the past I usually found the best quality buys from schools that
were selling off shops.

Is anyone seeing this happen any more or has it become stuff for metal/
woodworking legends?

Also I would like to hear of some of your experiences...the gloats,
the losses, the memories.

Thanks

TMT

No "vocational" training left around here. Last school auction I went
to had some fairly large machinery, mostly three-phase. A fellow was
really interested in the small Delta jigsaw they had, it was 220 three-
phase. I mentioned that to him, he said "what's that?". He went
ahead and bid on it. I'd never seen a half-horse 3-phase motor
before. Was a special integral mount, no swapping a washing machine
motor in there possible. Most of the equipment was really beat to
hell. Had a 36" bandsaw missing the blade welder and about half the
variable-speed drive guts. Floor ballast unless you needed spare
parts.

Any subsequent auctions were for furniture and dead A/V equipment, 286
computers and the like. Junk, in other words.

With the rise in the internet sales sites, a lot of governmental
outfits are going that route rather than using local auction
companies.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On May 7, 2:32*pm, wrote:
[...]

Stan.
I have a couple of 3-phase motors, 208v, about 1/4 hp. They are German
made, so the power is in watts. I am home, they are at the plant, so I
can't go look. They also have a variable speed control on the output
that consists of a steel ball in a cage between two spring loaded
circular plates. One plate is driven by the motor, the other is driven
by the ball. A cage is around the ball and a screw moves the cage and
ball between the center of the plates and the outer edge, giving speed
control.

Sure would like to find a home for them.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In article
,
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Here on the west coast (of the USA) a company called Interschola seems
to have cornered the market on liquidations and the pace is
incredible. I have seen hundreds of machines going out the door. I got
a few myself. I found them on eBay and I'm not sure but that might be
their exclusive method.

My local school district (in California) just contracted with
Interschola to auction all its surplus equipment. And yes, there are
lots of metalworking tools involved. Several Southbend lathes, a large
(don't know brand) mill, metal brakes, shears, spindle shapers, even a
foundry. Plus vehicles, office equipment, computers, etc.

Trouble with the metal stuff is that it has been sitting in an open
field loosely tarped for about two years. Wouldn't want to scrape the
rust off those.

And the stuff is OLD, and likely misused by generations of high school
kids.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work: