Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Homemade stationary bike

Pic
http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress...er-trainer.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2011 5:36 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Pic
http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress...er-trainer.jpg

That's actually a bicycle trainer. My ex used one hours at a time for
about a year before her bicycle trip from CA to PA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Where is the motor???

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress...trash-repairs-...

That's actually a bicycle trainer. *My ex used one hours at a time for
about a year before her bicycle trip from CA to PA.

I'm cornfused.

I see how the rear wheel sits on the 2 rear rollers and can roll on
down the road, so to speak, but what about the front wheel?

Does it sit in the gap between the frame and the front roller or is it
just sitting on top of the front roller? There seems to be a gap
between the frame and the front roller but it's hard to tell from the
picture.

If it's just sitting on the front roller, is it safe? It seems that it
wouldn't take much of turn (like in a moment of distraction) for the
front wheel to slip off of the roller.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2011 3:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 16, 9:48 am, Tony wrote:
On 12/16/2011 5:36 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Pic
http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress...trash-repairs-...

That's actually a bicycle trainer. My ex used one hours at a time for
about a year before her bicycle trip from CA to PA.

I'm cornfused.

I see how the rear wheel sits on the 2 rear rollers and can roll on
down the road, so to speak, but what about the front wheel?

Does it sit in the gap between the frame and the front roller or is it
just sitting on top of the front roller? There seems to be a gap
between the frame and the front roller but it's hard to tell from the
picture.

The front roller is normally a little bit in front of the front wheel,
this one looks like it's centered on top of it. The purpose of the
front wheel roller and belt is to make the front tire spin and giving it
the all important gyro and steering action. It would be hard as hell,
probably impossible to stay upright if the front wheel wasn't spinning
and able to steer side to side.

If it's just sitting on the front roller, is it safe? It seems that it
wouldn't take much of turn (like in a moment of distraction) for the
front wheel to slip off of the roller.

If you mean the front wheel could "slip" off the left or right sides you
are correct. This isn't an easy hop on and peddle exercise machine,
it's a trainer. It takes some skill to master it, I know, I tried one
and quit before hurting myself. My daughter could do it but I didn't
want to break any bones. It's much more difficult than just riding a bike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is a trainer used by serious riders.

It isn't primarily a conditioning tool. The resistance on these is
low.

They teach smooth riding and control skills

They are VERY hard for the amateur to learn to ride. I struggled with
it for a long time before getting the hang of it. I've seen the pros
ride them no handed, take their shirt off and put it back on, etc.

There is a much better trainer for the fitness workouts. It comes in
three versions: wind, magnetic, and hydraulic resistance.

Look here for some examples
http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google_Cycling/Bike+Trainers?s_kwcid=TC|13029|bike%20trainer%20re views||S|e|7633718285&gclid=CLH1rMbzh60CFcbc4Aodjw Sjkw

These really do work well. If you already have a bike that fits you,
you can pop it onto one of these and have a better quality stationary
bike than at any gym. Once adjusted for the size of the bike, most of
them clamp and unclamp with a flip of a lever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 9:48 am, Tony wrote:
[...]

Quite correct that this trainer is not for aerobic training, but for
smoothness of style after fatigue starts setting in.
Of of the things you need to practice before getting on one of those rollers
is getting a very smooth and stable pedaling style
Although, if you can ride a back "no hands", both coasting and pedaling,
mastering one of these becomes a lot easier.
There is a version of this upon which you can install a fan to provide
incremental resistance as you crank up the "stroke".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
[...]

The only problem with those is that they can teach you bad habits and sloppy
style, specifically because your are sitting on a fixed frame.
Since the rollers can be equipped with a resistance fan an a speedometer,
they will give you a better training session than the fixed ones

Here is a good page discussing the benefits of training on such rollers
rather than the fixed one.
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...rollers-28631/

Bike lock (bike stolen) Dubber UK diy 35 November 5th 09 08:07 PM
How to make a recumbent stationary bike more portable LurfysMa Home Repair 16 February 15th 07 09:32 PM
Most often used stationary tools J T Woodworking 0 August 8th 06 10:04 AM
Most often used stationary tools Jody Woodworking 0 August 6th 06 10:10 PM
Detecting pedaling speed on a stationary bike externally [email protected] Electronics 1 December 11th 05 12:54 AM