Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Homemade stationary bike

On 12/16/2011 3:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 16, 9:48 am, Tony wrote:
On 12/16/2011 5:36 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Pic
http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress...trash-repairs-...

That's actually a bicycle trainer. My ex used one hours at a time for
about a year before her bicycle trip from CA to PA.

I'm cornfused.

I see how the rear wheel sits on the 2 rear rollers and can roll on
down the road, so to speak, but what about the front wheel?

Does it sit in the gap between the frame and the front roller or is it
just sitting on top of the front roller? There seems to be a gap
between the frame and the front roller but it's hard to tell from the
picture.

The front roller is normally a little bit in front of the front wheel,
this one looks like it's centered on top of it. The purpose of the
front wheel roller and belt is to make the front tire spin and giving it
the all important gyro and steering action. It would be hard as hell,
probably impossible to stay upright if the front wheel wasn't spinning
and able to steer side to side.

If it's just sitting on the front roller, is it safe? It seems that it
wouldn't take much of turn (like in a moment of distraction) for the
front wheel to slip off of the roller.

If you mean the front wheel could "slip" off the left or right sides you
are correct. This isn't an easy hop on and peddle exercise machine,
it's a trainer. It takes some skill to master it, I know, I tried one
and quit before hurting myself. My daughter could do it but I didn't
want to break any bones. It's much more difficult than just riding a bike.