Posted to alt.home.repair
Attila.Iskander Attila.Iskander is offline

Default Homemade stationary bike

"TimR" wrote in message
This is a trainer used by serious riders.

It isn't primarily a conditioning tool. The resistance on these is
low.

They teach smooth riding and control skills

They are VERY hard for the amateur to learn to ride. I struggled with
it for a long time before getting the hang of it. I've seen the pros
ride them no handed, take their shirt off and put it back on, etc.

There is a much better trainer for the fitness workouts. It comes in
three versions: wind, magnetic, and hydraulic resistance.

Look here for some examples
http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google_Cycling/Bike+Trainers?s_kwcid=TC|13029|bike%20trainer%20re views||S|e|7633718285&gclid=CLH1rMbzh60CFcbc4Aodjw Sjkw

These really do work well. If you already have a bike that fits you,
you can pop it onto one of these and have a better quality stationary
bike than at any gym. Once adjusted for the size of the bike, most of
them clamp and unclamp with a flip of a lever.

The only problem with those is that they can teach you bad habits and sloppy
style, specifically because your are sitting on a fixed frame.
Since the rollers can be equipped with a resistance fan an a speedometer,
they will give you a better training session than the fixed ones

Here is a good page discussing the benefits of training on such rollers
rather than the fixed one.
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...rollers-28631/