Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default 4-line telephone via RJ45 jack?

I have 4 analog land line service from comast. The 4 lines come out of two
RJ11 jacks on the cable modem.

I have a multi line phones (att 1040) that accepts 4 lines via two RJ11
jacks.

This should be simple, just connect two RJ11 jacks from the modem to the two
RJ11 jacks on the phone.

Except the modem and the phone is far apart with an in-wall RJ45 (ethernet)
cable between them.

Is there an adapter that would take the 4 lines from two RJ11 jacks and
convert them to RJ45 jack (that happens to have 8 conductors, or 4 pairs of
lines)? If not, what is an accepted way to make this adapter myself?

I can cut one end off an ethernet cable, and also cut off the ends of two
RJ11 cables and then solder the wires together. But I'm hoping for a more
elegant solution; otherwise I would have to make two such Y cables one at
the modem end, and another at the phone end.

There's a Frys electronics store nearby; is that the best store to find
phone wiring accessories? I live near seattle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 4:58*pm, "bob" wrote:
[...]

Umm... Are you connecting the phones directly to the box from
Comcast?

There is a configuration where 8P8C are used for providing 4 telephone
lines
but it is not called RJ45 (which is actually the jack itself, not how
it is wired)
it is called RJ61X... If you have it presently configured for
ethernet you would
need to change the way the the jack is connected to the wires as
ethernet
wiring standards splits the pairs in ways which makes the
configuration not
usable for analog telephone connections...

The type of cable you seek might be available, but seems pointless
when
you can just remove the present face plates or cable terminations
which
have an RJ45 outlet or jack and install dual RJ11 plates at each
location
where you need to connect this special wiring for the 4 line phone
sets
and wire the top jack for lines 1 and 2 and the bottom jack for lines
3 and 4...

Where you would only need to have the conductors available to install
to the proper terminals on the back of the RJ11 jacks on the cover
plate...

IDC (Insulation-displacement connector) is the preferred method of
connecting
or terminating telephone conductors, connections on premises and
outside
plant wiring have not been soldered in several decades...

If you do not have wall mounted plates installed and you are referring
a loose cable you have fished through the wall, there are surface
mounted
connector boxes which you could use for this purpose...

Good luck...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
[...]

At the risk of stating the obvious...
If you accidentally plug in an ethernet connection and the phone rings,
you might not be happy with the result.
Sure, you're never gonna do that...right!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:

Is there an adapter that would take the 4 lines from two RJ11 jacks and
convert them to RJ45 jack (that happens to have 8 conductors, or 4 pairs of
lines)? If not, what is an accepted way to make this adapter myself?

This will cost less than $5

Take a regular phone cord (RJ-11) and cut the ends off with a nice 8"
pigtail. Now you have two modular plugs with access to the wire. Strip
wires (Red+Green L1) (Yellow+Black L2) attach them to the ethernet cable
in this order: (solder and heatshrink would be nice)

Jack 1 (Modem side)
(Red+Green L1)= Blue/Blue white
(Yellow+Black L2)= Orange/Orange white

Jack 2 (Modem side)
(Red+Green L3) = Green/Green white
(Black+Yellow L4) = Brown/Brown white

On the phone side, get a double jack
http://www.spywaredrguide.com/Virtua...ne_jack_01.jpg
and wire as such:

Top jack:
L1 white-blue blue-white
L2 white-orange orange-white

Bottom jack:

L3 white-green green-white
L4 white-brown brown-white
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

October 19, 2011 - Ali Soufan (Colbert Report)

Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan wrote:

Take a regular phone cord (RJ-11) and cut the ends off with a nice 8"
pigtail. Now you have two modular plugs with access to the wire. Strip
wires (Red+Green L1) (Yellow+Black L2) attach them to the ethernet cable
in this order: (solder and heatshrink would be nice)

BTW, there are other ways if you don't want to strip wire. let me know.

When you do make the connections, use a "Western Union Splice"; not the
type you would make with a wire nut.

The wires are very thin on the jack wire, so you may want to get a 12'
cord and cut in half to practice. Once you perfected the stripping of
that cable and know how you're you are going to solder and cover, then
cut cable to desired 8" (or longer if you want the splice hidden on the
floor).

--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,
We're going to kill you first, period."

October 19, 2011 - Ali Soufan (Colbert Report)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 10:06*pm, G. Morgan wrote:
G. Morgan wrote:
[...]

Physically there are adapters that will go into a single RJ45 and make
it
into a dual one. There are also adapters that will go into an RJ45
and
make it into an RJ11. So, it seems you could plug two of the latter
into one of the former and you'd have your dual RJ11. However, not
sure
about the wire mapping that results. Whenever I think about that
stuff
a lot of head scratching is required and it's too early in the AM.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/11 4:58 PM, bob wrote:
[...]

Is this what you want ??

http://www.telephoneparts.com/index.cgi?pcode=102108

BTW, 2 lines in one 6-pin plug/jack (6P4C) is technically called RJ-14.

RJ-11 is one line in a 6P2C

I doubt you'll find such at a retail store like Fry's, BestBuy, etc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2011 3:58 PM, bob wrote:
[...]

I have to custom make adapters all the time in my work when I'm
installing phone systems and data networks. If you want to use
4 pair network cable to make your own phone line, use Cat5 cable
instead of Cat6 because 6 is a lot harder to work with. You can
make your own adapters for either end of the cable using a long
enough patch cord cut in half. strip it back and crimp on the
smaller RJ11 plugs to matching pairs on either end of the patch
cord you just cut in half. When you plug in in on either end of
your network cable run the circuits will match up. Besides, the
crimp tool for the smaller plugs is a lot less expensive. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Thanks to all who helped. I've learned something new. The most important is
RJ45 is not the same as 8P8C even though they look identical. RJ45 is for
networking and 8P8C is for phone. There are 4 twisted pairs

RJ45: (4, 5) (3, 6) (1, 2) (7, 8)
8P8C: (4, 5) (3, 6) (2, 7) (1, 8)

For noise free phone operation, it is probably better to find out whether
the jacks are RJ45 or 8P8C so the 4 phone lines travel in 4 twisted pairs in
the network cable.

Someone has suggested this item which splits a RJ45 connection into two
2-line phone jacks:
http://www.telephoneparts.com/index.cgi?pcode=102108

This looks exactly like what I need, assuming the jack in the wall is wired
as RJ45 (mostly probably).

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

"Reed" wrote in message
m...
Is this what you want ??

http://www.telephoneparts.com/index.cgi?pcode=102108

Yes! Thank you.

I also found a similar adapter, but it cost twice as much and has a possible
wiring typo:
http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/hubbel...241U&FAM=Jacks

Wiring a Wall Type RJ45 Jack Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 68 May 30th 09 07:10 PM
How to use Toolless Cat6 RJ45 Keystone Jack ls02 Home Repair 2 April 20th 09 06:34 PM
RJ45 Flush mounted wall Jack Wiring Help [email protected] Home Ownership 5 September 6th 06 12:32 AM
Telephone Jack Charlie S. Home Repair 22 July 12th 05 03:13 AM
RJ45 for Phone Line Buck Turgidson Electronics Repair 4 September 5th 04 09:19 PM