Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default 4-line telephone via RJ45 jack?

On Dec 15, 4:58*pm, "bob" wrote:
I have 4 analog land line service from comast. The 4 lines come out of two
RJ11 jacks on the cable modem.

I have a multi line phones (att 1040) that accepts 4 lines via two RJ11
jacks.

This should be simple, just connect two RJ11 jacks from the modem to the two
RJ11 jacks on the phone.

Except the modem and the phone is far apart with an in-wall RJ45 (ethernet)
cable between them.

Is there an adapter that would take the 4 lines from two RJ11 jacks and
convert them to RJ45 jack (that happens to have 8 conductors, or 4 pairs of
lines)? If not, what is an accepted way to make this adapter myself?

I can cut one end off an ethernet cable, and also cut off the ends of two
RJ11 cables and then solder the wires together. But I'm hoping for a more
elegant solution; otherwise I would have to make two such Y cables one at
the modem end, and another at the phone end.

There's a Frys electronics store nearby; is that the best store to find
phone wiring accessories? I live near seattle.

Umm... Are you connecting the phones directly to the box from
Comcast?

There is a configuration where 8P8C are used for providing 4 telephone
lines
but it is not called RJ45 (which is actually the jack itself, not how
it is wired)
it is called RJ61X... If you have it presently configured for
ethernet you would
need to change the way the the jack is connected to the wires as
ethernet
wiring standards splits the pairs in ways which makes the
configuration not
usable for analog telephone connections...

The type of cable you seek might be available, but seems pointless
when
you can just remove the present face plates or cable terminations
which
have an RJ45 outlet or jack and install dual RJ11 plates at each
location
where you need to connect this special wiring for the 4 line phone
sets
and wire the top jack for lines 1 and 2 and the bottom jack for lines
3 and 4...

Where you would only need to have the conductors available to install
to the proper terminals on the back of the RJ11 jacks on the cover
plate...

IDC (Insulation-displacement connector) is the preferred method of
connecting
or terminating telephone conductors, connections on premises and
outside
plant wiring have not been soldered in several decades...

If you do not have wall mounted plates installed and you are referring
a loose cable you have fished through the wall, there are surface
mounted
connector boxes which you could use for this purpose...

Good luck...

~~ Evan