Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plans for making a regular sized ironing board

I've always been unhappy with ironing boards (all jokes aside about the
wife needing to be the one to do that work).

Looking for a new one, I find the $40 cheapies on Amazon & the $100 ones
all seem to have bad reviews for stability.

The board part looks pretty simple (all I would need are the dimensions
which I should be able to find on the net).

But, what would you recommend for the legs?

Do you know of any plans on the net for full-sized ironing boards?
Posted to alt.home.repair

worker bee wrote in news:jc8s4c$77k$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

I've always been unhappy with ironing boards (all jokes aside about the
wife needing to be the one to do that work).

Looking for a new one, I find the $40 cheapies on Amazon & the $100

ones
all seem to have bad reviews for stability.

The board part looks pretty simple (all I would need are the dimensions
which I should be able to find on the net).

But, what would you recommend for the legs?

Do you know of any plans on the net for full-sized ironing boards?

Look for a sturdy wall, and attatch the board to it,
without using any legs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 02:07:45 +0000, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Do you know of any plans on the net for full-sized ironing boards?

Look for a sturdy wall, and attach the board to it, without using any
legs.

Good idea, but bad idea for me.

I already have one of those built-in quarter-sized ironing boards which
flip out from the wall in the laundry room.

They stink.

The problem is that you really need BOTH ends to iron a man's shirt and
pants. Without the squarish end, you have to do twice as much work.

I don't need legs that fold - but I do need it to be sturdy. I'm thinking
a solid chunk of four by four or something like that (it doesn't have to
be pretty).

It would be nice to have plans though ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 02:07:45 +0000, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Look for a sturdy wall, and attatch the board to it, without using any
legs.

I've never seen it done the 'right' way; but what I would do, if I
attached a full-sized ironing board to the wall would be to design the
center attachment so that you can SWIVEL the ironing board so that BOTH
ends were functional.

I've NEVER seen anyone attach an ironing board to a wall so that both
ends were usable.

Does anyone have an idea for a ready-made swivel to attach to the
underside center of the board if I do attach it to a wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 7:54*pm, worker bee wrote:
Do you know of any plans on the net for full-sized ironing boards?

Tons of plans out there. Even free ones. Just paste all this garbage
as one line into your browser:

http://www.google.com/#q=ironing+boa....,cf.osb&cad=b

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 12:19*am, worker bee wrote:

I don't need legs that fold - but I do need it to be sturdy. I'm thinking
a solid chunk of four by four or something like that (it doesn't have to
be pretty).

I think your desire for more sturdiness is due to improper technique,
an iron doesn't weigh that much, and you should be letting the tool do
the work.

I'm not saying ironing boards are perfect, but they haven't changed
much.

Maybe an antique wooden model might suffice, or as a basis for
alteration...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ANTI...-/260800085162

They used to use those with those old cast iron heat-on-the-wood-stove
irons.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Googling, I didn't find any plans for a swivel type wall-mounted ironing
board.

There are plans for the cabinet and board, eg.
http://www.millworkforless.com/image...%20%281%29.jpg

But no plans for the swivel part.

Can I be the first person to think of this idea of being able to use both
ends of the ironing board?

Posted to alt.home.repair

worker bee wrote:
I've always been unhappy with ironing boards (all jokes aside about
the wife needing to be the one to do that work).

Looking for a new one, I find the $40 cheapies on Amazon & the $100
ones all seem to have bad reviews for stability.

I had a similar problem earlier in the year, which I solved by checking the
inventory in the local second-hand shops. I ended up with an old "made in
USA" ironing board, Arvin brand, made from steel thicker than the sheetmetal
on my car. Picked up a nice new cover for it, and I'm in business.

They don't make 'em like they used to, so find one that they used to make.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"worker bee" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 02:07:45 +0000, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Look for a sturdy wall, and attatch the board to it, without using any
legs.

I've never seen it done the 'right' way; but what I would do, if I
attached a full-sized ironing board to the wall would be to design the
center attachment so that you can SWIVEL the ironing board so that BOTH
ends were functional.

I've NEVER seen anyone attach an ironing board to a wall so that both
ends were usable.

Does anyone have an idea for a ready-made swivel to attach to the
underside center of the board if I do attach it to a wall?

Just do what the sewing pros do. Make a table top one (regular board with 2"
rubber covered feet) and store it in a closet. You can use it on a counter
top, top of the washer and dryer, a table, bed, dresser, etc. I have 4
different table top boards in various sizes and shapes. Really helps when
you're ironing 60" wide fabric. And you can easily use both ends of the
board.