Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Eternal?? Home

http://tinyurl.com/84e7mk5

A story here about a guy who built caskets for himself and his
wife.
Posted to alt.home.repair

He better check the statutes in his state. In most states, if not
all, you're not allowed to make you own casket. You have to obtain/
purchase them from a certified maker/supplier/mortician. There has
been only one exception to the statutes, that I am aware of. Monks,
at an old monestary in New Orleans, I think, which for ages made their
own individual caskets for themselves, were/are allowed to continue to
do so, contrary to state law. Addendum: Likewise, you're not allowed
to have yourself buried or to bury someone just anywhere you wish,
like on your private property. Burial has to be in a dedicated/public
graveyard.

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2011 1:29 PM, Sonny wrote:
He better check the statutes in his state. In most states, if not
all, you're not allowed to make you own casket.

Not true. The Federal Trade Commission requires any funeral parlor to
accept whatever container you choose to be buried in, whether you've
made it yourself or bought it elsewhere. You can be buried just
wrapped in a sheet if you want to.

Addendum: Likewise, you're not allowed
to have yourself buried or to bury someone just anywhere you wish,
like on your private property. Burial has to be in a dedicated/public
graveyard.

That's not universal, either. Most if not all states permit the
scattering or burial of cremains on private property, and many states
permit private burial of a body, with conditions. For instance, in my
state, you can create a private cemetery on your property, but it must
be surveyed and platted and registered with the gov't before burial
can take place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Sonny typed:
He better check the statutes in his state. In most
states, if not all, you're not allowed to make you own
casket. You have to obtain/ purchase them from a
certified maker/supplier/mortician. There has been only
one exception to the statutes, that I am aware of.
Monks, at an old monestary in New Orleans, I think, which
for ages made their own individual caskets for
themselves, were/are allowed to continue to do so,
contrary to state law. Addendum: Likewise, you're not
allowed to have yourself buried or to bury someone just
anywhere you wish, like on your private property. Burial
has to be in a dedicated/public graveyard.

Sonny

All you mention can be done with proper permitting and conditional zoning
laws in most every state, including being buried on your own private
property. I only happen to know these things via a local mortuary whose
owner I grew up and graduated high school with. There are conditions, rules
and all kinds of things included but to say it's not possible is misleading.
The reason for such rules is to avoiid polluting wells, septic systems,
errant digging, etc etc etc.. It's the cities and towns that may have the
rulings you are referring to but they must adhere to the permitting process
and WILL inspect the area beforehand.

On this group, you're conversing with a lot of people who don't know but
like to put their guesses and hear-say in print and sound good. If you
really want to know, talk to the PTB in your own state.

Now here's the ringer: ANYthiing can be used for a casket, including
rentals. If what you built doesn't meet the requirements, then they will put
the casket inside another complant container when it's placed in the ground.
As I understand it, the casket remains visible for the funeral, has a
carrier-bottom, and after the mourners leave, the rest of the contaner is
lowered in and attached to the carrier.
Supposedly it can save a few dollars but not like it used to a few
decades ago.
Did you know that some caskets are cardboard? Yes, they are; look it up.
In a cemetary, it's all going to rot away, casket and all, so ... what does
it matter? All that other stuff is for non-cemetary, non-cremation
disposals. They're on cardboard when the body's slipped into the furnace
unless you purchased instead of rented the casket, in which case it is
supposed to get burned, too.
If you're curious, go have a look at what you get in the urn when someone
is cremated. It's all interesting stuff.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2011 4:25 PM, Twayne wrote:
In ,
typed:
[...]

Looked it up here, and caskets must be waterproof. I know wooden
caskets are sold so they must have waterproof liners.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/12/2011 4:42 PM, Frank wrote:

Looked it up here, and caskets must be waterproof. I know wooden caskets
are sold so they must have waterproof liners.

The actual casket or the vault? Or casket when not used w/ a vault?

All I've seen is for the external box; generally that isn't the casket
itself (any more, anyways; used to be a plain pine box was good enough
for most anybody and better'n most got).