Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fire bowl on a wood deck

On 12/11/2011 7:18 PM, gregz wrote:
The Daring wrote:
On 12/9/2011 11:11 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Because of the lack of common sense of most modern humans, a local city
has outlawed any kind of grill or open flame on the wooden decks of any
of the numerous apartment complexes in that city. "Drunk Grilling" has
been responsible for the loss of homes for many apartment dwellers in
that municipality. ^_^

TDD

I guess my styrofoam deck would be ok?

Greg

As long as you only burn up yourself and your apartment. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 01:18:46 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

I guess my styrofoam deck would be ok?

Greg

Actually, it is safer than the wood deck. Foam will melt and the fire
bowl will drop to the ground. If it actually started to burn, it
would put itself out one the wood passed through it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2011 11:11 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Has it got legs? I put a patio firepit on a small rolling flatbed. I
fastened a couple of squares of wood decking to the flatbed, then
fastened the legs of the patio firepit to the decking squares to keep
it stable. The bowl of the firepit was about a foot above the deck
squares, and the squares were about six inches off the ground. This
worked fine for many years, and I could roll it into storage when I
wasn't using it.

I currently use a firepit with taller legs and a much deeper bowl. The
walls of the bowl are high enough that there is no blowing or dropping
of embers from the fire, and it stands far enough off the ground that
I don't worry about heat scorch.

I was driving past a two-story house with a deck one morning this past
autumn and saw the deck in flames. It was a barbecue grill (charcoal,
I suppose). A squad car pulled up in the driveway and the cop was
grabbing the fire extinguisher from the trunk as I went by. I expect
the owners had used their grill the night before and hadn't ensured
that it was well and truly out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

If I were to do it (and I wouldn't) I'd mount it on something like a jerry
can on its side filled with water that had a *vented* cap, maybe even with a
steam-kettle whistle. The water would distribute the heat very evenly and
long before deck ignition temperatures could be reached, the water would
start to turn to steam (hence the vented cap!) and be quite noticeable. It
takes a lot of heat to turn water into steam, far more than I believe even a
large fire pot can generate because heat tends to rise.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood
deck. Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several
hours and the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between
the bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat.
Ideas?

Any reflective metal with a small air gap between it and the wood, or sitting on
tile or cement backer board, or just about any non-combustable material.

Posted to alt.home.repair

better to buy a natural gas or propane version thats designed to sit
on a wood deck
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 07:32:32 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 12/9/2011 11:11 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Because of the lack of common sense of most modern humans, a local city
has outlawed any kind of grill or open flame on the wooden decks of any
of the numerous apartment complexes in that city. "Drunk Grilling" has
been responsible for the loss of homes for many apartment dwellers in
that municipality. ^_^

TDD

Just outlaw Democrats and we don't need these stupid laws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2011 4:34 PM, Michael Dobony wrote:
[...]

Oh come on, my statement had nothing to do with either party but I do
tell folks that Republicans disgust me but Democrats are special, they
horrify me. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
mg mg is offline

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:11:59 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Go to your local metal working shop and have them weld you up a pan.
Put some good casters on the bottom to move it around. Have them weld
a fitting on the bottom for a hose bib. Make it about 6 inches larger
in diameter than the bowl and about 6 inches deep.

Set you fire bowl in the metal pan. You may need to lengthen the legs
so the bowl won't actually set in the water. Close the hose bib. Fill
with water.

A friend of mine had this done and it worked great. After an entire
evening of burning the water was hot, but the deck was still cool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I took a backer board and cut it round and the same diameter as the fire bowl. I used the cuttings for feet to give me a very small bust stable and effective air gap to the deck. Just small squares every 6 inches and under the fire bowl feet. It looks fine during the fire, I can easily move it around the deck for different situations, and I can roll it on edge into the garage for easy storage. Simple and effective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

4 bricks or concrete blocks supporting a 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate that is at least 6 inches larger in every direction compared to the perimeter of the fire bowl.