Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fire bowl on a wood deck

I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a
painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for
several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the
capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood
deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can
use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the
heat. Ideas?

A fire on a wooden deck?
Have you thought about how ****ing embarrassing it will be
to call the fire department?
And then your insurance company?

You may not ever be able to buy insurance again after they
see how ****ing incredibly stupid...oh, never mind.
Sheeeeesh!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Sigmund Freud" wrote:

A fire on a wooden deck?

No. A fire in a metal container designed for fires. Fire doesn't
frighten me the way it apparently does you. I'm merely inquiring into
reflecting or blocking stray heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:11:59 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote Re Fire bowl on a wood deck:

I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

A 3 or 4 decorative bricks?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood
deck. Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several
hours and the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between
the bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat.
Ideas?

Asbestos

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2011 11:11 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Because of the lack of common sense of most modern humans, a local city
has outlawed any kind of grill or open flame on the wooden decks of any
of the numerous apartment complexes in that city. "Drunk Grilling" has
been responsible for the loss of homes for many apartment dwellers in
that municipality. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

A wood burner?
If it was my house, you'd move the fire pit 30' from the house on the
masonry patio.

If it is a gas burner, then I'd do what the manufacturer said to do to
protect nearby combustible surfaces.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

So, the manufacturer says not to, and you're still determined? Sounds
unsafe, to me.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Smitty Two wrote:
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood
deck. Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several
hours and the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between
the bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat.
Ideas?

Especially since you wrote, "I'm planning to have larger fires", it seems
like a bad idea (of course).

But, if you still want to do it, maybe you could just place the fire bowl on
top of a layer of landscape pavers similar to these:
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ga...atalogId=10053 .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 07:32:32 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/9/2011 11:11 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Because of the lack of common sense of most modern humans, a local city
has outlawed any kind of grill or open flame on the wooden decks of any
of the numerous apartment complexes in that city. "Drunk Grilling" has
been responsible for the loss of homes for many apartment dwellers in
that municipality. ^_^

TDD

I have a gas grill on the deck, but I'm not putting any wood burners
there. It is not just underneath, but the surrounding area if a coal
fall out or sparks fly, etc. I have a small wood burning pit that I
use for grilling and it is on the lawn, away from the garage and deck.
There should also be a fire extinguisher nearby too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-10, Ron wrote:

But, if you still want to do it, maybe you could just place the fire bowl on
top of a layer of landscape pavers.......

Yep. My recommendation also. They're cheap and you can buy them everywhere.

nb

--
eschew obfuscation
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

On 2011-12-10, Ron wrote:

But, if you still want to do it, maybe you could just place the fire bowl
on
top of a layer of landscape pavers.......

Yep. My recommendation also. They're cheap and you can buy them everywhere.

nb

I have considered this approach, but would they just become hot enough
themselves to transfer the heat to the deck?

I'm thinking now about something roughly equivalent to a wooden pallet,
with a top surface of sheet metal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 07:05:28 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,

On 2011-12-10, Ron wrote:

But, if you still want to do it, maybe you could just place the fire bowl
on
top of a layer of landscape pavers.......

Yep. My recommendation also. They're cheap and you can buy them everywhere.

nb

I have considered this approach, but would they just become hot enough
themselves to transfer the heat to the deck?

No. But unless you mortar them together you leave a place for an
invisible ember to lurk on your deck that will wait until there is
no-one around to smoke enough to be found before damage is done.

[not to mention flying embers that close to your house--

I'm thinking now about something roughly equivalent to a wooden pallet,
with a top surface of sheet metal.

If it is 10x10 or so you'd eliminate the burning embers falling our of
the pit--- but nothing will help when your drunken brother-in-law
decides to toss a giant log on top of that pine that he had going in
there. Get your wood fire away from the house.

[just for giggles- see if you can find out what your homeowner's
insurance has to say about fire pits in general, and fire pits on a
wood deck. Might be a good time to just cancel the policy if they
aren't going to cover your most likely source of disaster.]]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2011 9:05 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,

On 2011-12-10, wrote:

But, if you still want to do it, maybe you could just place the fire bowl
on
top of a layer of landscape pavers.......

Yep. My recommendation also. They're cheap and you can buy them everywhere.

nb

I have considered this approach, but would they just become hot enough
themselves to transfer the heat to the deck?

I think they would.

I'm thinking now about something roughly equivalent to a wooden pallet,
with a top surface of sheet metal.

Maybe metal spaced above the deck with fire bricks on it.

Like others, my main recommendation is don't do it.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Get a square of the board that is used behind tiles (forget the name)
Spray paint it
Put it under the fire bowl
It will act as an insulator

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-10, Smitty Two wrote:

I have considered this approach, but would they just become hot enough
themselves to transfer the heat to the deck?

What the heck kinda fire you gonna build? Texas A&M fire!? We gotta
cheapo firebowl thingy I can use on our deck. I don't, but it's small
enough that I could.

nb

--
eschew obfuscation
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article
,
"Sigmund Freud" wrote:

A fire on a wooden deck?

No. A fire in a metal container designed for fires. Fire
doesn't
frighten me the way it apparently does you. I'm merely
inquiring into
reflecting or blocking stray heat.

In your original post, you stated:

"... and the directions are pretty clear about not using it
on a wood deck."

Here's a link to our local fire pit ordinance.
Note line item 2.
Your town's ordinance may vary.

http://www.cityofevanston.org/assets/Fire%20Pits.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Make an 8 sided frame out of 1X2s 3,maybe 5 no make it 7 feet across,
put filter cloth on the deck inside the frame, and fill it with sand.
Duel purpose, cat's will love it.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 07:05:28 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,

On 2011-12-10, Ron wrote:

But, if you still want to do it, maybe you could just place the fire bowl
on
top of a layer of landscape pavers.......

Yep. My recommendation also. They're cheap and you can buy them everywhere.

nb

I have considered this approach, but would they just become hot enough
themselves to transfer the heat to the deck?

I'm thinking now about something roughly equivalent to a wooden pallet,
with a top surface of sheet metal.

I think the sheet metal on a pallet would transfer faster than the
paver. The concrete paver is about 1 1/2" thick and has a lot of
thermal mass. If the pit was convex, it would put a lot of heat in
one spot and the paver would help distribute it. The rough surface of
the paver would also make a thermal break on the wood surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om,
"Sigmund Freud" wrote:

In your original post, you stated:

"... and the directions are pretty clear about not using it
on a wood deck."

Written by attorneys, of course. I'm quite capable of keeping the fire
within the container, not leaving it unattended, extinguishing the
occasional stray ember, etc. There are very few things that are
inherently dangerous, but due to idiots and lawsuits, we're constantly
bombarded with over-the-top, sky-is-falling warnings about things.

Think about what it would really take sitting on the surface of a 2 x 6
to really set it alight, and how unconscious one would have to be to not
notice and attend to that long before the situation deteriorated to that
level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

On 2011-12-10, Smitty Two wrote:

I have considered this approach, but would they just become hot enough
themselves to transfer the heat to the deck?

What the heck kinda fire you gonna build? Texas A&M fire!? We gotta
cheapo firebowl thingy I can use on our deck. I don't, but it's small
enough that I could.

nb

Yes, it's a small portable fire bowl. But it's still about twice as
large as the old one. I just don't want to discolor the paint on the
deck, or subject the wood to excessive drying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

A wood burner?

Yes.

If it was my house, you'd move the fire pit 30' from the house on the
masonry patio.

Do you ask your wife to take your gas stove, heater, and clothes dryer
out to the masonry patio? Seems foolish to have fires in the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 9, 11:11*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Consider the fact that polished copper is a terrific IR reflector
(gold is even better). Modify the fire bowl with a copper panel just
underneath the bowl. Rivet in place , or whatever. Now wherever you
place the FB the protection is already there. Neat. Tidy. Even
elegant.
Better yet, cash in your 401K and buy a big gold sheet to place under
the FB. Now you have you life savings in view and a practical heat
shield too. Let us know which one you prefer in light of current
politics.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 10:42:40 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

Yes, it's a small portable fire bowl. But it's still about twice as
large as the old one. I just don't want to discolor the paint on the
deck, or subject the wood to excessive drying.

See: JEGS Lava Mat Heat Shield (costly) ??

- 1200°F direct/continuous
- 1800°F intermittent

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Lava-Mat-Heat-Shield/1412518/10002/-1
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes, it's a small portable fire bowl. But it's still about twice as
large as the old one. I just don't want to discolor the paint on the
deck, or subject the wood to excessive drying.

See: JEGS Lava Mat Heat Shield (costly) ??

- 1200°F direct/continuous
- 1800°F intermittent

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...eat-Shield/141
2518/10002/-1

A tad spendy but otherwise seems like a great possibility, thanks. One
concern I have about the bricks, pavers, tray of sand, etc. is lack of
portability. Fire bowl only used about 6-12 times per year, and kept in
the garage otherwise. (For house #1 I could have a semi-permanent fire
base, but for house #2 it would have to be at least reasonably portable.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 07:05:28 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,

On 2011-12-10, Ron wrote:

But, if you still want to do it, maybe you could just place the fire
bowl
on
top of a layer of landscape pavers.......

Yep. My recommendation also. They're cheap and you can buy them
everywhere.

nb

I have considered this approach, but would they just become hot enough
themselves to transfer the heat to the deck?

I'm thinking now about something roughly equivalent to a wooden pallet,
with a top surface of sheet metal.

I think the sheet metal on a pallet would transfer faster than the
paver. The concrete paver is about 1 1/2" thick and has a lot of
thermal mass. If the pit was convex, it would put a lot of heat in
one spot and the paver would help distribute it. The rough surface of
the paver would also make a thermal break on the wood surface.

My thinking on the sheet metal is borrowed from an industrial machine I
designed where it was necessary to block heat from an electric hotplate
from penetrating the chassis full of electronics. 1/4" aluminum plate
suspended in air below the hotplate certainly gets hot, but dissipates
heat to air rather than heating steel chassis and components thereof. I
do like the paver idea, though, other than as noted elsewhere they
wouldn't be particularly portable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Mr. Austerity" "PrintMo.Money " wrote:

Make an 8 sided frame out of 1X2s 3,maybe 5 no make it 7 feet across,
put filter cloth on the deck inside the frame, and fill it with sand.
Duel purpose, cat's will love it.....

Do you know for sure whether sand will transfer heat?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Attila.Iskander" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Get a square of the board that is used behind tiles (forget the name)
Spray paint it
Put it under the fire bowl
It will act as an insulator

Cement backer board? Maybe put that on a pallet instead of the sheet
metal. Are you sure it will insulate?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2011 2:58 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

"Smitty wrote in message
news
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Get a square of the board that is used behind tiles (forget the name)
Spray paint it
Put it under the fire bowl
It will act as an insulator

Cement backer board? Maybe put that on a pallet instead of the sheet
metal. Are you sure it will insulate?

On wood stoves they just use a piece of sheet metal attached to the back
so it can be close to a wall. The thing is that you need air on both
sides of the sheet metal. How about a big piece of 1/4" steel set on
top of three bricks, with the "legs" of the fire pit on top of the
steel. I say 1/4" because I don't know how heavy this thing is. Maybe
two layers of sheet metal would be better since you won't have the
convection currents as if it were standing vertical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

On 2011-12-10, Ron wrote:

But, if you still want to do it, maybe you could just place the
fire bowl on
top of a layer of landscape pavers.......

Yep. My recommendation also. They're cheap and you can buy them
everywhere.

nb

I have considered this approach, but would they just become hot enough
themselves to transfer the heat to the deck?

Well, let's see now...

Iron melts at 1536 C. Iron can be smelted with wood fires (OK, they add
some air; you never have a breeze?). Lava runs 700 C - 1200 C. I've
watched many trees burst into flame - damn near explode - when overrun with
lava.

Yep, I think pavers could catch your deck on fire.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2011 12:11 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

I haven't seen the question asked yet: how close to the house will the
fire bowl be? Got vinyl siding? I'd ask the local FD about fire bowls
on wood decks...probably some reliable info there. Allowing some heat
penetration onto a painted surface probably brings other concerns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

Do you ask your wife to take your gas stove, heater, and
clothes dryer
out to the masonry patio? Seems foolish to have fires in
the house.

Most gas appliances are designed to be operated on a wood
floor.

Often they have thermal safety devices that shut off the
supply of gas if the appliance overheats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

About 50 feet of air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Norminn wrote:

On 12/10/2011 12:11 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

I haven't seen the question asked yet: how close to the house will the
fire bowl be? Got vinyl siding? I'd ask the local FD about fire bowls
on wood decks...probably some reliable info there. Allowing some heat
penetration onto a painted surface probably brings other concerns.

Your concerns are noted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Joe wrote:

[...]

If I could cash in my pathetically diminutive retirement fund for a nice
sheet of gold, let's say 5' x 5' by 1/4", I'd be happy with that.

But thanks for the integrated metal reflector/dissipator idea. The metal
plate concept keeps coming back in one form or another.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2011 5:19 PM, Sigmund Freud wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

Do you ask your wife to take your gas stove, heater, and clothes dryer
out to the masonry patio? Seems foolish to have fires in the house.

Most gas appliances are designed to be operated on a wood floor.

Often they have thermal safety devices that shut off the supply of gas
if the appliance overheats.

And they are specifically designed and tested for their typical
operating locations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote the following:
In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

A wood burner?

Yes.

If it was my house, you'd move the fire pit 30' from the house on the
masonry patio.

Do you ask your wife to take your gas stove, heater, and clothes dryer
out to the masonry patio? Seems foolish to have fires in the house.

Can your gas home appliances throw out embers?
It's why wood fireplaces are required to have non combustible flooring
around them.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , George
wrote:

On 12/10/2011 5:19 PM, Sigmund Freud wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

Do you ask your wife to take your gas stove, heater, and clothes dryer
out to the masonry patio? Seems foolish to have fires in the house.

Most gas appliances are designed to be operated on a wood floor.

Often they have thermal safety devices that shut off the supply of gas
if the appliance overheats.

And they are specifically designed and tested for their typical
operating locations.

Right. That's my philosophy, also. I want to "specifically design and
test" a device for keeping the heat from the fire from damaging my deck.

As far as "flying embers" that a few have mentioned, my embers are
subject to the laws of gravity, as well as being retained by the domed
screen cover, so they stay in the bowl. I don't use the firepit in windy
conditions, for a host of reasons not in any way limited to safety. (And
I don't permit my drunken BIL to throw logs on the fire, either.)

I really don't understand people with an unwillingness to understand,
mitigate, and manage risk vs. reward in a conscious way. Y'all engage in
potentially dangerous activities on a daily basis, but you don't see me
advising you to desist. For example, the roommate of a close friend of
mine snapped both legs at the knee while downhill skiing a few months
back. Would you outlaw skiing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article , George

wrote:

[...]

Why don't you just buy a firepit designed and listed for use
on a wooden deck?
That way, when you burn your house down while using it, the
insurance company might pay the claim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sigmund Freud" wrote in
b.com:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article , George

wrote:

[...]

if he's worried about scorching his wood deck,just put a few pavers under
the fire pit. He seems to have the ember problem covered.
Or he could get fancy,put the pavers on a small rollaround platform,and the
fire pit on top of that,so he can place it wherever he likes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik