Posted to alt.home.repair
mg mg is offline

Default Fire bowl on a wood deck

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:11:59 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck.
Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and
the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the
directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm
planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the
bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Go to your local metal working shop and have them weld you up a pan.
Put some good casters on the bottom to move it around. Have them weld
a fitting on the bottom for a hose bib. Make it about 6 inches larger
in diameter than the bowl and about 6 inches deep.

Set you fire bowl in the metal pan. You may need to lengthen the legs
so the bowl won't actually set in the water. Close the hose bib. Fill
with water.

A friend of mine had this done and it worked great. After an entire
evening of burning the water was hot, but the deck was still cool.