Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, baggers at supermarkets.

Have you noticed that they used to fill the grocery bags so that they
all weighed about the same?

Then 10 or 20 years ago they got the idea to sort the stuff. Now I
can see putting all the frozen food in one bag, but they do it with
everything.

If I buy 2 2-liter bottles of soda pop, they put them both in one bag,
so that it way outweighs any other bag.

Tonight I bought two 3.2 quart. bottles of clothes detergent, and they
put them in one bag, over 12 pounds, more than everything else I
bought put together. That's the way they do it now. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you noticed? People used to talk with each other and
ask for things to be done this or that way.

Now, people remain silent, come home and blog about crap
that could be easily adjusted if they would politely ask for
things to be done differently.

Now, just the other day. I went into the bathroom and found
the toilet seat up. The potty paper was coming off the back
of the roll, and in the middle of the day the night light
was on full brightness. I yelled at the walls, and the echo
was deafening. I stamped from room to room, demanding to
know who was at fault, and then I realized I live alone.
Then, I slinked off to the kitchen to check the expiry dates
on the batteries in the refrigerator. I must put that on my
facebook page. Then, both of my friends will know.

So, Micky, was YOUR toilet seat left up? Blog me, and let me
know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"micky" wrote in message
Have you noticed that they used to fill the grocery bags so
that they
all weighed about the same?

Then 10 or 20 years ago they got the idea to sort the stuff.
Now I
can see putting all the frozen food in one bag, but they do
it with
everything.

If I buy 2 2-liter bottles of soda pop, they put them both
in one bag,
so that it way outweighs any other bag.

Tonight I bought two 3.2 quart. bottles of clothes
detergent, and they
put them in one bag, over 12 pounds, more than everything
else I
bought put together. That's the way they do it now. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 20:05:00 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Have you noticed? People used to talk with each other and
ask for things to be done this or that way.

Now, people remain silent, come home and blog about crap
that could be easily adjusted if they would politely ask for
things to be done differently.

....or heaven forbid, do the work themselves.

Now, just the other day. I went into the bathroom and found
the toilet seat up. The potty paper was coming off the back
of the roll, and in the middle of the day the night light
was on full brightness. I yelled at the walls, and the echo
was deafening. I stamped from room to room, demanding to
know who was at fault, and then I realized I live alone.
Then, I slinked off to the kitchen to check the expiry dates
on the batteries in the refrigerator. I must put that on my
facebook page. Then, both of my friends will know.

Make sure you add a blog about the paper coming off the wrong way!

So, Micky, was YOUR toilet seat left up? Blog me, and let me
know.

Micky is one of your two?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
Have you noticed that they used to fill the grocery bags so
that they all weighed about the same?

Then 10 or 20 years ago they got the idea to sort the stuff.
Now I can see putting all the frozen food in one bag, but they do
it with everything.

If I buy 2 2-liter bottles of soda pop, they put them both
in one bag, so that it way outweighs any other bag.

Tonight I bought two 3.2 quart. bottles of clothes
detergent, and they put them in one bag, over 12 pounds, more than
everything else I bought put together. That's the way they do it
now. .

Someone replied, inconventiently putting his answer at the top.

wrote:

Have you noticed? People used to talk with each other and
ask for things to be done this or that way.

I don't like to bother the cashiers or the baggers. On a couple
occasions I've asked for something special, and though it sounded to
me like it would be no effort at all, I could see that it took a lot
of effort for them to interrupt their routine, which they are in the
habit of doung, and I don't want them to have to do that. Even t
hough they are all nice about it.

Now, people remain silent, come home and blog about crap
that could be easily adjusted if they would politely ask for
things to be done differently.

It's also clear that this new techniique was decreed from "above"
since it's done at all the supermarket chains, and even the
independents I think, and by all those who do bagging.

So I'd have to ask over and over for them to vary their routine, and
it's not like I'm so weak I can't carry 12 pouns or more with one
hand.

In fact the whole thing was never a complaint. It was a comment on
how things are done and r edone, and how there are unforeseen
consequences from designing a plan that seems good on paper.

Now, just the other day. I went into the bathroom and found
the toilet seat up. The potty paper was coming off the back
of the roll, and in the middle of the day the night light
was on full brightness. I yelled at the walls, and the echo
was deafening. I stamped from room to room, demanding to
know who was at fault, and then I realized I live alone.
Then, I slinked off to the kitchen to check the expiry dates
on the batteries in the refrigerator. I must put that on my
facebook page. Then, both of my friends will know.

So, Micky, was YOUR toilet seat left up? Blog me, and let me
know.

What nonsense is this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have you noticed? People used to talk with each other and
ask for things to be done this or that way.

Now, people remain silent, come home and blog about crap
that could be easily adjusted if they would politely ask for
things to be done differently.

BTW, you should be the last person to give this kind of advice.
Plenty people have asked you politely to add yoru reply at the bottom,
in accordance with Usenet etiquette, but you just ignore them.

Remember that when you ask for something to be done the way you want,
and befopre you give the kind of advice you give above.

Now, just the other day. I went into the bathroom and found
the toilet seat up. The potty paper was coming off the back
of the roll, and in the middle of the day the night light
was on full brightness. I yelled at the walls, and the echo
was deafening. I stamped from room to room, demanding to
know who was at fault, and then I realized I live alone.
Then, I slinked off to the kitchen to check the expiry dates
on the batteries in the refrigerator. I must put that on my
facebook page. Then, both of my friends will know.

So, Micky, was YOUR toilet seat left up? Blog me, and let me
know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 21:37:58 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 19:28:20 -0500, micky
wrote:

Have you noticed that they used to fill the grocery bags so that they
all weighed about the same?

Then 10 or 20 years ago they got the idea to sort the stuff. Now I
can see putting all the frozen food in one bag, but they do it with
everything.

If I buy 2 2-liter bottles of soda pop, they put them both in one bag,
so that it way outweighs any other bag.

Tonight I bought two 3.2 quart. bottles of clothes detergent, and they
put them in one bag, over 12 pounds, more than everything else I
bought put together. That's the way they do it now. .

We have a good friend who is a regional grocery store manager. He says
the real issue is cross contamination. You don't want chemicals in the
bag with your food, You don't want raw meat with produce etc.
When you are dealing with entry level workers, it is just easier to
tell them to put all similar things together. If the bag ends up
heave, they double it.

Very interesting. I'm glad I posted.

One comment. Casheirs, at least, who do most of the bagging around
here, have a complicated task with a lot of things they have to do.

Bagging otoh is not as difficult. There is one supermarket around
here, the Jewish one I think, which I noticed had hired as baggers a
bunch of people with Down Syndrome, etc. I was only there once or
twice, but they seemed to do a good job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bag your own.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 19:28:20 -0500, micky wrote:

Have you noticed that they used to fill the grocery bags so that they
all weighed about the same?

Then 10 or 20 years ago they got the idea to sort the stuff. Now I
can see putting all the frozen food in one bag, but they do it with
everything.

If I buy 2 2-liter bottles of soda pop, they put them both in one bag,
so that it way outweighs any other bag.

Tonight I bought two 3.2 quart. bottles of clothes detergent, and they
put them in one bag, over 12 pounds, more than everything else I
bought put together. That's the way they do it now. .

Andy Rooney...is that you??? I thought you were dead!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

As my mother has said years ago "lets hear it for the old
bag!"

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Thomas" wrote in message
Bag your own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gone, but not forgotten.

--
Christopher A. Young, good DAY!
(Best Paul Harvey voice.)

"Kuskokwim" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 19:28:20 -0500, micky wrote:

Have you noticed that they used to fill the grocery bags
so that they
all weighed about the same?

Andy Rooney...is that you??? I thought you were dead!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 12:28*am, micky wrote:
Have you noticed that they used to fill the grocery bags so that they
all weighed about the same?

Then 10 or 20 years ago they got the idea to sort the stuff. *Now I
can see putting all the frozen food in one bag, but they do it with
everything.

If I buy 2 2-liter bottles of soda pop, they put them both in one bag,
so that it way outweighs any other bag.

Tonight I bought two 3.2 quart. bottles of clothes detergent, and they
put them in one bag, over 12 pounds, more than everything else I
bought put together. *That's the way they do it now. .

I drive my wife to the store, she does the shopping while I sit in the
car with a newspaper. I then drive her home.
I never worry about bags except whenI lift them out of the car and
carry them indoors when I get home. I would never dream of looking
inside one.
I recommend you take up this practice, it is very stress free.

In Wales, they are even better organised, they have pubs right next to
the shops.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:49:29 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Nov 7, 12:28*am, micky wrote:
[...]

Okay. You make a good point . When is your wife free?

In Wales, they are even better organised, they have pubs right next to
the shops.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 12:49:08 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Gone, but not forgotten.

What is gone but not forgotten?

I'd appreciate it if you would not top-post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you'd read my post, you'd have your own answer to your
question.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Gone, but not forgotten.

What is gone but not forgotten?

I'd appreciate it if you would not top-post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 07:21:56 -0800, Kuskokwim wrote:

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 19:28:20 -0500, micky wrote:

Have you noticed that they used to fill the grocery bags so that they
all weighed about the same?

Then 10 or 20 years ago they got the idea to sort the stuff. Now I
can see putting all the frozen food in one bag, but they do it with
everything.

If I buy 2 2-liter bottles of soda pop, they put them both in one bag,
so that it way outweighs any other bag.

Tonight I bought two 3.2 quart. bottles of clothes detergent, and they
put them in one bag, over 12 pounds, more than everything else I
bought put together. That's the way they do it now. .

Andy Rooney...is that you??? I thought you were dead!!!

You're right!! Good point. I guess someone has to take up the kudgel

You know what I really don't like? Doors. There are so many of them
and so many are closed. Why do we have so many doors.

And why do they come in different colors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Have you noticed that they used to fill the grocery bags so that they
all weighed about the same?

Then 10 or 20 years ago they got the idea to sort the stuff. Now I
can see putting all the frozen food in one bag, but they do it with
everything.

If I buy 2 2-liter bottles of soda pop, they put them both in one bag,
so that it way outweighs any other bag.

Tonight I bought two 3.2 quart. bottles of clothes detergent, and they
put them in one bag, over 12 pounds, more than everything else I
bought put together. That's the way they do it now. .

I got the best grocery. Baggers are only there if an isle is vacant, then
the check out person moves over and becomes a bagger. I hardly never have
to wait long in line. No problems with bagging.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Gone, but not forgotten.

What is gone but not forgotten?

I'd appreciate it if you would not top-post.

His words are from his god so he thinks he is entitled to top post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky"

If I buy 2 2-liter bottles of soda pop, they put them both in one
bag,
so that it way outweighs any other bag.

I have no trouble lifting heavy bags. I ASK them to load up the bags
so I have fewer to carry. I ASK them to put THREE soda bottles in each
bag. However I want the bread in a separate bag so it does not get
squished.

Anyway how is the checker to know if it is you or I and if they should
bag fewer or more items per bag? I tell them what I want...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 12:28*am, micky wrote:
Have you noticed that they used to fill the grocery bags so that they
all weighed about the same?

Then 10 or 20 years ago they got the idea to sort the stuff. *Now I
can see putting all the frozen food in one bag, but they do it with
everything.

If I buy 2 2-liter bottles of soda pop, they put them both in one bag,
so that it way outweighs any other bag.

Tonight I bought two 3.2 quart. bottles of clothes detergent, and they
put them in one bag, over 12 pounds, more than everything else I
bought put together. *That's the way they do it now. .

You have to fill your own bags in the UK (so my wife tells me) so it
is not a problem here.
BTW, shopping is wimmins work. Why are you bugging yourself?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have you noticed? People used to talk with each other and
ask for things to be done this or that way.

Now, people remain silent, come home and blog about crap
that could be easily adjusted if they would politely ask for
things to be done differently.

BTW, you should be the last person to give this kind of advice.
Plenty people have asked you politely to add yoru reply at the bottom,
in accordance with Usenet etiquette, but you just ignore them.

And this time you didn't ignore my request, but you didn't agree to it
either. Yet you are the last person to be posting what you did
above,

Remember that when you ask for something to be done the way you want,
and befopre you give the kind of advice you give above.

Now, just the other day. I went into the bathroom and found
the toilet seat up. The potty paper was coming off the back
of the roll, and in the middle of the day the night light
was on full brightness. I yelled at the walls, and the echo
was deafening. I stamped from room to room, demanding to
know who was at fault, and then I realized I live alone.
Then, I slinked off to the kitchen to check the expiry dates
on the batteries in the refrigerator. I must put that on my
facebook page. Then, both of my friends will know.

So, Micky, was YOUR toilet seat left up? Blog me, and let me
know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 18:01:04 -0500, micky
wrote:

Andy Rooney...is that you??? I thought you were dead!!!

You're right!! Good point. I guess someone has to take up the kudgel

You know what I really don't like? Doors. There are so many of them
and so many are closed. Why do we have so many doors.

And why do they come in different colors?

I wish shoe strings would do a better job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:35:43 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

BTW, shopping is wimmins work. Why are you bugging yourself?

... just tell her to change the flat tire, come in and make you a
sandwich; sit on your knee and say why she is leaving.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 08:35:43 -0800, harry wrote:

On Nov 7, 12:28Â*am, micky wrote:
Have you noticed that they used to fill the grocery bags so that they
all weighed about the same?

Then 10 or 20 years ago they got the idea to sort the stuff. Â*Now I can
see putting all the frozen food in one bag, but they do it with
everything.

If I buy 2 2-liter bottles of soda pop, they put them both in one bag,
so that it way outweighs any other bag.

Tonight I bought two 3.2 quart. bottles of clothes detergent, and they
put them in one bag, over 12 pounds, more than everything else I bought
put together. Â*That's the way they do it now. .

You have to fill your own bags in the UK

I think that was about the hardest culture difference to adjust to when I
moved to the US from the UK. I got glared at too many times when I tried
to pack my own stuff though, so I eventually gave up. Now I have to stand
there and wait while I watch someone else do what I was perfectly capable
of doing myself, and it saves me no time and I end up with far more bags
than I actually need.

BTW, shopping is wimmins work. Why are you bugging yourself?

Not the previous poster, but personally it's a cooperative thing - we
live eight miles out of town, so whoever happens to be in town when it
needs doing tends to do it.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Andy Rooney...is that you??? I thought you were dead!!!

You're right!! Good point. I guess someone has to take up the kudgel

You know what I really don't like? Doors. There are so many of them
and so many are closed. Why do we have so many doors.

And why do they come in different colors?

I wish shoe strings would do a better job.

And when new shoes come with fancy strings but they wear out, you can
never find matching replacements. You can't even find fancy, even at
shoelaces.com.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

BTW, shopping is wimmins work. Why are you bugging yourself?

.. just tell her to change the flat tire, come in and make you a
sandwich; sit on your knee and say why she is leaving.......

Changing wheels is men's work.
Making sandwiches is wimmen's work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 3:34*am, wrote:
On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 01:40:37 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

wrote:
You have to fill your own bags in the UK

I think that was about the hardest culture difference to adjust to when I
moved to the US from the UK. I got glared at too many times when I tried
to pack my own stuff though, so I eventually gave up. Now I have to stand
there and wait while I watch someone else do what I was perfectly capable
of doing myself, and it saves me no time and I end up with far more bags
than I actually need.

I shop at two stores in the same chain. One is very particular about
making sure they do all of the bagging, the other one will let you bag
if you want. I am usually in a hurry so I bag while they are ringing
things up ... AFTER I run my card.

BTW, shopping is wimmins work. Why are you bugging yourself?

Not the previous poster, but personally it's a cooperative thing - we
live eight miles out of town, so whoever happens to be in town when it
needs doing tends to do it.

I buy the food so I can get what I like. My wife works, I cook.

Seems fair to me.

Cooking is wimmin's work too. Cleaning the house is wimmin's work.
Buildingwalls, electricity, plumbing, digging the garden etc. is
men's work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Andy Rooney...is that you??? I thought you were dead!!!

You're right!! *Good point. *I guess someone has to take up the kudgel

You know what I really don't like? *Doors. *There are so many of them
and so many are closed. * Why do we have so many doors.

And why do they come in different colors?

I wish shoe strings would do a better job.

And when new shoes come with fancy strings but they wear out, you can
never find matching replacements. * You can't even find fancy, even at
shoelaces.com.

It is part of the Chinese economic warfare. They know you will have
to buy new (Chinese) shoes when the laces break. They are designed to
break one week after the guarantee period is up.
They can be defeated by using baler twine instead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baling_twine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 5:23*pm, wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I do the mechanical work but digging in the dirt is wimmins work too.

You would rather dig in the dirt than cook?- Hide quoted text -

I enjoy peasant activities in smallish doses. i grow vegetables.
It keeps me fit.
Digging is wimmins work in third world countries so you may be right.
They won't do it in the UK. At least not many of them.
i hear the wimmin fromTexas are big a strong.
You could harness one to a plough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm so hurt.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Have you noticed? People used to talk with each other
and
ask for things to be done this or that way.

Now, people remain silent, come home and blog about
crap
that could be easily adjusted if they would politely
ask for
things to be done differently.

BTW, you should be the last person to give this kind of
advice.
Plenty people have asked you politely to add yoru reply
at the bottom,
in accordance with Usenet etiquette, but you just ignore
them.

Amen to that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

;-)

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 15:08:33 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'm so hurt.