Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Getting rid of a cat

I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2011 6:01 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

Keep looking. There are probably folks there that will take a stray
without killing it. We found one but took the wife a lot of work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:20:39 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 11/5/2011 6:01 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

Keep looking. There are probably folks there that will take a stray
without killing it. We found one but took the wife a lot of work.

After reading the info at the web site, it says .........
An animal is deemed in a person's possession if it is fed or sheltered
for three consecutive days or more."

I have that covered. I have filled out the form and sent a picture to
the site. Hopefully they can take the cat. I have 40 lbs of cat food
I can donate and will probably give her a cash donation if she can
take the cat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:01:26 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:

I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

I understand your wish to find it a home, but it's not going to get cold
enough (all Winter!) in W. Georgia to even bother a healthy adult cat. Well,
they do sometimes crawl up on a nice toasty engine block, but it's not the
cold that'll get 'em.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What I did for my outdoor cat. I took a cardboard box, and
wrapped it in packing tape. Cut a cat size hole in the side.
Threw some catfood in. Orange Cat (TM) crawled in, found it
warmer than being out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a
couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no
takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and
I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West
Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then
euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on
the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Keep looking. There are probably folks there that will take a stray
without killing it. We found one but took the wife a lot of work.

All my cats for the last 20++ years are / have been prison cats.

Neat thing about feral cats that comply -- they will still bite ya.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

After reading the info at the web site, it says .........
An animal is deemed in a person's possession if it is fed or
sheltered for three consecutive days or more."

I have that covered. I have filled out the form and sent a picture
to the site. Hopefully they can take the cat. I have 40 lbs of cat
food I can donate and will probably give her a cash donation if she
can take the cat.

Kijiji.com is a popular classified ad site, and they have a pets for
sale or give-away section.

Getting the cat spayed/neutered and vaccinated would be much more
appreciated by the shelter than handing over the cat with a bag of food
and $50 donation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:32:24 -0500, "
wrote:

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:01:26 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:

I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

I understand your wish to find it a home, but it's not going to get cold
enough (all Winter!) in W. Georgia to even bother a healthy adult cat. Well,
they do sometimes crawl up on a nice toasty engine block, but it's not the
cold that'll get 'em.

I didn't mention the scratches on my Mustang..........
I am not too happy about that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

If the kitty can get in your garage or a suitable container to be sheltered
from the wind, it should be okay.

After all, the kitty is wearing a fur coat...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 18:40:39 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

What I did for my outdoor cat. I took a cardboard box, and
wrapped it in packing tape. Cut a cat size hole in the side.
Threw some catfood in. Orange Cat (TM) crawled in, found it
warmer than being out.

I did about the same thing. I took a egg box and covered it with a
garbage bag. I put several old towels in. It is on the carport so
the wind is shielded on 2 sides. I can't get the cat to use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

Sell it on craigslist, $1 with the forty pounds of food thrown in. Plus a
short explanation. I bet you'll find a taker.

It craigslist takes animals for sale, that is.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sounds good. That's what my wife did with the stray we found. Wife
loves cats but won't own another as she was so upset when the last one died.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

After reading the info at the web site, it says .........
An animal is deemed in a person's possession if it is fed or sheltered
for three consecutive days or more."

I have that covered. I have filled out the form and sent a picture to
the site. Hopefully they can take the cat. I have 40 lbs of cat food
I can donate and will probably give her a cash donation if she can
take the cat.

you can always try rec.pets.cats.health+behav or alt.cats
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 7:35*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Sell it on craigslist, $1 with the forty pounds of food thrown in. *Plus a
short explanation. *I bet you'll find a taker.

It craigslist takes animals for sale, that is.

Steve

Have they stopped letting prostitutes advertise?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 4:35*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Metspitzer" wrote in message

I have a cat that is a stray. *I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. *I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. *Anyone want one? * I am in West Georgia..
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

Sell it on craigslist, $1 with the forty pounds of food thrown in. *Plus a
short explanation. *I bet you'll find a taker.

It craigslist takes animals for sale, that is.

Steve

***DON'T DO THAT! SOME (**&^^%$&* WILL BUY THE CAT FOR THE FOOD THAT
THEY RESELL AND KILL OR ABANDON THE CAT.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Nov 5, 4:35 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Possibly. Pre-qualify the prospective new owners as best you can. Here are
some questions:

* House, apartment, what? (Homeowner OK, renter no)
* How long have you lived there?
* Children? How many? Ages? (Toddlers ( 4) is a no)
* Ever had a cat before? What happened to it?
* Why do you want a cat?
* Any other pets? Do they get along with each other?
* Do you plan to get the cat de-clawed (a "yes" answer is a no sale)
* Do you plan to get the cat neutered or spayed? (Yes is good)
* An indoor cat will live upwards of twenty years. Can you handle a
long-term commitment?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re OT Getting rid of a cat:

I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.

The cat will do fine outside if you continue to just feed it.
Particularly if you make a small shelter for it.

I live in a area of TN with a climate similar to GA. We keep out cats
outside all winter long without any problems (other than coyotes and
foxes, but the dogs gandle them). The winter doesn't bother them at
all as long as they have a small shelter. Been doing it that way for
25 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 5:32*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

That's what I was thinking too. He at least could have a
lot more time to find a home. If you can put up a cardboard
box with a cat size opening and some towels etc inside and
place it in a sheltered location outside, the cat should be fine
during winter. If you want to get fancy, for the coldest times
a heating pad set on low could be added, but it should not
be necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, well. Some cats are such ingrates. Wonder if the cat is
lesbian, and only inhabits egg boxes with good interior
decoration? I mean, old towels can be so gauche if the color
scheme isn't just right.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
news
I did about the same thing. I took a egg box and covered it
with a
garbage bag. I put several old towels in. It is on the
carport so
the wind is shielded on 2 sides. I can't get the cat to use
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 06:17:58 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Nov 5, 4:35 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

I have been asking everyone I meet for two months if they want a cat.
My only requirement is.......do you want a cat? So far no one has met
my expectations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 08:01:46 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Ah, well. Some cats are such ingrates. Wonder if the cat is
lesbian, and only inhabits egg boxes with good interior
decoration? I mean, old towels can be so gauche if the color
scheme isn't just right.

It looks better than my first apartment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 5:01*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a cat that is a stray. *I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. *I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. *Anyone want one? * I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

If you would otherwise keep it then do so. Keeping it outside is no
problem. Mine arent allowed in and they do fine.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 05:00:19 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Nov 5, 5:32*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

I live in E. Alabama, right across the border from her (sorry, already have
two cats). The coldest it's likely to get at night is 20F, day 35F, with
averages more like 30F/50F, so a cat will do fine outside. Feral cats
survived around us when we were in Vermont (-30F/-10F).

He at least could have a
lot more time to find a home. If you can put up a cardboard
box with a cat size opening and some towels etc inside and
place it in a sheltered location outside, the cat should be fine
during winter. If you want to get fancy, for the coldest times
a heating pad set on low could be added, but it should not
be necessary.

The heating pad is overkill and may keep the cat away. The other suggestion
is that the box be only large enough for the cat to curl up. Placing it out
of the wind is very important.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ah, well. Some cats are such ingrates. Wonder if the cat is
lesbian, and only inhabits egg boxes with good interior
decoration? I mean, old towels can be so gauche if the color
scheme isn't just right.

It looks better than my first apartment.

I take it that you're not a lesbian. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ah, well. Some cats are such ingrates. Wonder if the cat is
lesbian, and only inhabits egg boxes with good interior
decoration? I mean, old towels can be so gauche if the color
scheme isn't just right.

It looks better than my first apartment.

I take it that you're not a lesbian. ;-)

No, but I have some lesbian tendencies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then
euthanize them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

If the kitty can get in your garage or a suitable container to be
sheltered from the wind, it should be okay.

After all, the kitty is wearing a fur coat...

In NC I had a pair of those insulated overalls I left on a table in the
carport. Neighbors cat (who could go inside their house) liked to crawl
inside the mostly sipped up body. It was wind shielded and imagine pretty
toasty there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.

I dunno' about cats, but I do know how to get rid of a pet rock
though:

Put it in a burlap sack with a cat and throw it in a river.

-TES
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 09:45:42 -0800, Theodore Edward Stosterone
wrote:

I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.

I dunno' about cats, but I do know how to get rid of a pet rock
though:

Put it in a burlap sack with a cat and throw it in a river.

-TES

Sick *******.

"Stats on animal abuse show a sharp correlation between animal abuse &
other crimes, including rape, robbery, murder, sexual homicide,
domestic abuse and more. E.G.: studies show 100% of sexual homicide
perps (like Jeffrey Dahmer) started by abusing animals. Even cops,
prosecutors & social workers say show me an animal abuser and I'll
show you someone with a long rap sheet. Thus, we all need to get
behind toughening laws for animal abuse to keep these violent perps
locked up longer."

http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=8011

Prisons are full of sick people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

Being a farmer myself, I have taken in unwanted cats. They keep the
rodents under control. They live in the hay shed in the winter and I
provide some old blankets, rags, etc for them, and feed them. They
have access to water too from the heated livestock tanks. Why not
take the cat to a farm area and see if you can find a taker. Put up
notices on bulletin boards in rural stores too.

There is also a thing called Freecycle on the web. It's for giving
away anything you want to get rid of. Find one nearby and use it.

I'd take your cat if I was nearby, but I'm a long ways from you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

Small chance it has a ID chip ??

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have NEVER heard of a farmer shopping for a barn cat. Mother nature
abhors a vacuum, etc. If a position opens up, a cat will be along to
fill it shortly. That is why catch/neuter/release is the ONLY proven
method to keep feral cat populations under control. If you just kill
them, the surplus from next door moves in. The cats figure out quickly
how many is an acceptable number per barn, and who is in charge.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 19:43:04 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

Small chance it has a ID chip ??

I don't even know if it is male or female.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2011 3:01 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

hell, just keep feeding it outside. All of our animals are 100% outdoor
including 8 cats. (current count). They'll be fine. Especially in GA.
We're in Kansas.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2011 3:32 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:01:26 -0400, wrote:

I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

I understand your wish to find it a home, but it's not going to get cold
enough (all Winter!) in W. Georgia to even bother a healthy adult cat. Well,
they do sometimes crawl up on a nice toasty engine block, but it's not the
cold that'll get 'em.

a simple bump or two of the starter before you spin it for real usually
get 'em out. We deal with that a lot here.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

Possibly. Pre-qualify the prospective new owners as best you can.
Here are some questions:

* House, apartment, what? (Homeowner OK, renter no)
* How long have you lived there?
* Children? How many? Ages? (Toddlers ( 4) is a no)
* Ever had a cat before? What happened to it?
* Why do you want a cat?
* Any other pets? Do they get along with each other?
* Do you plan to get the cat de-clawed (a "yes" answer is a no sale)
* Do you plan to get the cat neutered or spayed? (Yes is good)
* An indoor cat will live upwards of twenty years. Can you handle a
long-term commitment?

I have been asking everyone I meet for two months if they want a cat.
My only requirement is.......do you want a cat? So far no one has met
my expectations.

Never been a salesman, eh?

"Ms. Prospect, if I could show you a way, an ecologically sound way, to to
keep your home free of vermin, and here I'm talking about rats, mice, and
roaches, plus bring some entertainment and contentment into your house,
you'd certainly want to hear about it, wouldn't you?... Right. I thought you
would. Now, tonight, I'd like to bring the cat over to your house and see if
he likes you. His name is Beauregard, and frankly, he's a little picky about
the two-leggers he associates with, so it's kind of iffy. Would 7:30 be
convenient?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple
of months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then
euthanize them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

Small chance it has a ID chip ??

I don't even know if it is male or female.

If it has testicles, it's a male. If no testicles, it's a female OR a male
that's been neutered.

A vet can tell you if: a) It has a chip, and b) it's sex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What, you're attracted to women or something?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Metspitzer" wrote in message

It looks better than my first apartment.

I take it that you're not a lesbian. ;-)

No, but I have some lesbian tendencies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, I laughed out loud.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a
couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no
takers.

I dunno' about cats, but I do know how to get rid of a pet
rock
though:

Put it in a burlap sack with a cat and throw it in a river.

-TES

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stats on animal abuse show a sharp correlation between animal abuse &
other crimes, including rape, robbery, murder, sexual homicide,
domestic abuse and more. E.G.: studies show 100% of sexual homicide
perps (like Jeffrey Dahmer) started by abusing animals. Even cops,
prosecutors & social workers say show me an animal abuser and I'll
show you someone with a long rap sheet. Thus, we all need to get
behind toughening laws for animal abuse to keep these violent perps
locked up longer."

Don't forget the "Unholy Triumvirate":

Bedwetting
Animal torture
Playing with Fire

Read "Mindhunter". It appears that a high percentage of "Sick
*******s" (serial killers and the like) exhibit that group of
tendancies as kids and adolecents.

-TES
Posted to alt.home.repair

I noticed pet rocks aren't on your pompous list.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

news