Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT Getting rid of a cat

On 11/6/2011 2:36 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:01:26 -0400,
wrote:

I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of
months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers.
Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not
keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia.
The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize
them.
http://imgur.com/Ml4F6

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site
that they can't, by law, accept strays.

http://www.jenniferspetrescue.com/

Being a farmer myself, I have taken in unwanted cats. They keep the
rodents under control. They live in the hay shed in the winter and I
provide some old blankets, rags, etc for them, and feed them. They
have access to water too from the heated livestock tanks. Why not
take the cat to a farm area and see if you can find a taker. Put up
notices on bulletin boards in rural stores too.

I have NEVER heard of a farmer shopping for a barn cat. Mother nature
abhors a vacuum, etc. If a position opens up, a cat will be along to
fill it shortly. That is why catch/neuter/release is the ONLY proven
method to keep feral cat populations under control. If you just kill
them, the surplus from next door moves in. The cats figure out quickly
how many is an acceptable number per barn, and who is in charge.

--
aem sends...