Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing machine leaks

My Whirlpool washer is less than 5 years old and has always performed
flawlessly. Just recently it has started to leak from the Left rear
corner, but in a strange way. It leaks when first emptying the
original soapy water, but does not leak when emptying the rinse
water. We have pulled it out and cleaned up the area that had globs
of soap on the floor. OP suggests that maybe I have been using too
much (liquid) soap. I don't think so, but am willing to entertain any
explanation. But why is this showing up now after trouble-free years?

We don't have a snake, but tried running a coathanger down the vent
to see if a sock or something is blocking, but it snags retty
quickly. Maybe the pipe bends? But if the vent pipe WERE clogged,
the rinse water would be leaking as well. ????

I am not in a great position to spend on a plumber, who might charge
me 1/4-1/2 of the washer's value, but will have to do it if NG doesn't
have any suggestions that we could implement at home.

Any input appreciated.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
[...]

If you can, observe the machine with the back off while running through the
soap cycle. That way you should be able to spot exactly where the leak
occurs. Could be a connection that is not 100% (leak) tight--the soapy water
is probably less viscous than plain water and thus able to "squeeze" through
the "not so tight" connection.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/21/2011 11:57 AM, MLD wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
My Whirlpool washer is less than 5 years old and has always performed
flawlessly. Just recently it has started to leak from the Left rear
corner, but in a strange way. It leaks when first emptying the
original soapy water, but does not leak when emptying the rinse
water. ...

If you can, observe the machine with the back off while running through
the soap cycle. That way you should be able to spot exactly where the
leak occurs. Could be a connection that is not 100% (leak) tight--the
soapy water is probably less viscous than plain water and thus able to
"squeeze" through the "not so tight" connection.
MLD

And, of course, if it is something to do w/ the detergent, running it
through a detergent-free cycle would confirm/disprove that notion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MLD" wrote in message ...

[...]

If you have a couple of strong, stupid friends, I suggest they hold it up in
the air, and let it run through one cycle. The leak will be easy to spot.
When my dumb strong friends aren't around, or are in traction, I just put
the machine up on a couple of 4x4's, or a few two by's and take off the
cover panels. With a flashlight and mirror, it is usually very easy to
trace the leak. Sometimes, the water trail makes it obvious without even
running it, or setting it up on 2x's. Hopefully, it will be a hose, or
clamp. If not, the major pieces are usually a switch out. I've repaired
several washing machines for parts that the repairmen at the shops said
would cost 3-4-5 X that much.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 11:20*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Run a regular wash cycle without using any soap and see if it still
leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2011 12:20 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
My Whirlpool washer is less than 5 years old and has always performed
flawlessly. Just recently it has started to leak from the Left rear
corner, but in a strange way. It leaks when first emptying the
original soapy water, but does not leak when emptying the rinse
water. We have pulled it out and cleaned up the area that had globs
of soap on the floor. OP suggests that maybe I have been using too
much (liquid) soap. I don't think so, but am willing to entertain any
explanation. But why is this showing up now after trouble-free years?

Too many suds can cause all kinds of problems.

But the FIRST thing you should consider is run the machine through a
cycle without any detergent but with a good amount (2 cups or more) of
white vinegar.

Most machines today permit you to take off the front of the machine and
then operate the machine with the lid switch still in operate position.
Run you "normal" load with your "normal" detergent and use a
flashlight to see what leaks.

If you see "suds" outside of the tub you are using too much and the
wrong type of detergent.

If you just see liquid water you have to start an investigation as to
where it came from. It's possible, for example, that the tub has a
leak or the "seal" where the agitator/spin connections is faulty.

Like it or not, if you are a careful shopper it's not worth repairing a
5 year old machine. Just buy a cheap, new model.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 9:20*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

***Thanks, everybody, for all the great suggestions.

I have been on the wrong track.

OP swears it was water backing up out of the drain. I was making
wrong
assumption that the leak was from the back L. corner of the washer.

To settle the matter I sat on top of the machine during the entire
cycles
with a strong flashlight trained on the drain and my hand at the ready
on
the shutoff in the panel.

Sure enough, it drained OK for a few seconds, then the tone changed
and water appeared at the lip of the drain. I slammed the shutoff,
losing only a small amt. of water on the floor. Waited a few seconds
and resumed, same thing.

So it's obvious there is a plug somewhere down the drain. Earlier
attempt with a coathanger didn't go far (literally).

Choice of plumber or snake.

Found a helpful video on-line showing the drain being snaked by a
device similar to this one from Home Despot:

http://tinyurl.com/3c9exyo

Uses a drill to rotate instead of by hand. Costs $29.95. ===Anybody
have plus or minus comments about this snake?====

Earlier, exploring on-line, I found derogatory remarks, perhaps from
professionals? about any device below their (electric) heavy-duty
snakes, like anything from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. is "junk".
Hmmm... if I have to spend a fortune to get a snake that meets their
standards, might as well call a plumber!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd roll over to Home Depot, or Harbor Freight.
Get a hand cranked drain snake for about ten
bucks. Figure, if you only use it once, no sense
going thirty bucks for the drill unit.

But, that's just me being cheap.

You can also try pouring in some Drano (R) or
other drain cleaner. Into the drain, not the
wash machine. (you knew that!)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Higgs Boson"

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 3:17*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I bought one of these
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
to do a "quick & dirty" attempt to clear an upstairs shower / tub
blocked drain for a former boss.

My neighbor laughed & called it "a toy".

I laughed too when I successfully cleared the drain in a few minutes
including the time to walk upstairs, clear the drain, test the drain a
couple times and clean & stow the snake / auger.

Now he borrows it so often (he's still doing the neighborhood handyman
thing) that it lives at his house.

Professional plumbers have serious tools to do serious work and avoid
expensive (ie, free) callbacks.

If you;re clearing your own drain & access is easy...try this simple
tool and see your results.

btw....that shower drain I cleared, used by long haired teenager, is
still clear after 2+ years.

Follow up with regular maintenance using Zep DrainCare.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DD_BobK wrote:

[...]

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...splay?langId=-
1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
[...]

I too have a similar snake... one thing to keep in mind, is that with
some drains it will go up the vent line (leading to the roof) instead of
down through the trap. Accessibility sometimes allows you to look in and
see.

Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 9:30*pm, Erik wrote:
In article
,

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...ProductDisplay...
[...]

***Uh, oh! Accessibiity?? How can I tell if mine does? I looked up
the specs for my washer on-line, tried to understand the diagrams;
gave up in dismay. Those things are so complicated!!! Guess I'll
have to do trial & error.

Thanks for the heads-up.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 10:47*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Oct 31, 9:30*pm, Erik wrote:

In article
,

*DD_BobK wrote:
On Oct 31, 3:17 wrote:
On Oct 21, 9:20 wrote:

[...]

***Update: When last heard from, I was about to get a snake to see if
that would clear the (I guess?) clog. I got one for $15 something
that said Manual/Drill. Trying the Manual first, the handle didn't
seem to progress the snake, so I forced it down manually. Pulled up.
Nada. OP got on it and pushed it further -- about 10-12'.
Encountered "resistance" that was probably the trap. Tip came out
clean.

We now have to do the laundry this way: Whoever has the duty stands in
front of the washer with a strong flashlight focused on the drain
hole, monitoring as the water drains. When the tone changes and water
begins to show at the lip, we slam the control knob shut. Very little
water escapes. After a few seconds, we open the control knob and
repeat the procedure. Same with the rinse cycle. This is "effective"
but a PITA. There's got to be a better way!!!

Also, the washer is installed in a narrow cut-out in the kitchen wall
with barely an inch or so on each side. We got tired of pulling the
washer in & out of its home, worried about damaging something in the
guts. So we try to deal with it by chucking rags back there to sop up
the spill; hard to recover them.

This is crazy! We're still trying NOT to call a plumber. Not that I
don't love & honor my nabe plumber, but $$ is tight.

Is there a SAFE and EFFECTIVE drain cleaner we can try? Lots of
brands on the market. I don't want to **** up the (metal) drain.

Sigh!

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 18:07:15 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson
wrote:

This is crazy! We're still trying NOT to call a plumber. Not that I
don't love & honor my nabe plumber, but $$ is tight.

Is there a SAFE and EFFECTIVE drain cleaner we can try? Lots of
brands on the market. I don't want to **** up the (metal) drain.

Ask your "nabe" plumber for advice. If that means "neighbor," he
won't charge to talk to you.
By the time you're done buying snakes, he would have done it for less.
Chemicals won't do it.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/6/2011 8:07 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Oct 31, 10:47 pm, Higgs wrote:
On Oct 31, 9:30 pm, wrote:

In article
,

wrote:
On Oct 31, 3:17 wrote:
On Oct 21, 9:20 wrote:

[...]

One chemical that can be quite effective and worth doing is to use an
enzyme cleaner. We use a commercial one that I don't see listed, but
here is one:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/roebic.html
These are not fast or instant, so if you're jammed up tight don't go
here. If you have a slow drain it may be just the thing.

Another non-snake drain cleaner that can really work is a Drain King:
http://www.g****erproducts.com/drain.html
These assume that your piping is in good repair and are able to force
water up in the vent system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That might have been the blockage, you found. At 12 feet
with the drain snake.

Have you checked and cleared the vent stack? Do other drains
in the house drain slowly?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 3:51*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That might have been the blockage, you found. At 12 feet
with the drain snake.

Have you checked and cleared the vent stack? Do other drains
in the house drain slowly?

No other drains in the house drain slowly.

How do I check the vent stack?

TIA

HB
[...]

I'm told washer drains DO NOT HAVE A TRAP?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
That might have been the blockage, you found. At 12 feet
with the drain snake.

Have you checked and cleared the vent stack? Do other drains
in the house drain slowly?

***Sorry, hit Send accidentally.

No other drains in the house drain slowly.

How do I check/clear the vent stack? Can't see anything down the
pipe. Climb on roof?

I posted earlier that the drain in the wall was metal, but I'm told it
must be plastic.

So, given the situation, is there a drain cleaner that will attack
that clog? If it is indeed a clog, it is a strange one. As posted
earlier, water will drain strongly for a
few seconds, then will start to back up, such that we have to slam the
knob shut, wait a few seconds while a trickling sound is heard, and
repeat the performance.

So it can't be a complete blockage? Question to anyone with
experience: Does this sound like an object (sock, whatever) or what?

Your wisdom welcome.

HB

[...]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Look on the roof for a pipe about 1 1/2 inch diameter, that
sticks out for about six inches. Stuff garden hose in, and
turn water on full blast.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Have you checked and cleared the vent stack? Do other
drains
in the house drain slowly?

No other drains in the house drain slowly.

How do I check the vent stack?

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I was a boy, my kid sister flushed a small aluminum
dish from her tea set, which clogged the toilet. So, I know
strange things happen. I don't have any idea what's giving
your strange symptoms.

Drain cleaners. Acids work on calcium scale. Hydroxides work
on grease. Enzymes work on, well, not sure.

Not sure what's your answer. Might invovle calling a
plumber, a proctologist, a priest, or a Rabbi. Maybe all on
the same day? You can have your drain cleared, examined,
blessed, and a half inch cut off the end. All on the same
day.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus