Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Washing machine leaks

"MLD" wrote in message ...

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
My Whirlpool washer is less than 5 years old and has always performed
flawlessly. Just recently it has started to leak from the Left rear
corner, but in a strange way. It leaks when first emptying the
original soapy water, but does not leak when emptying the rinse
water. We have pulled it out and cleaned up the area that had globs
of soap on the floor. OP suggests that maybe I have been using too
much (liquid) soap. I don't think so, but am willing to entertain any
explanation. But why is this showing up now after trouble-free years?

We don't have a snake, but tried running a coathanger down the vent
to see if a sock or something is blocking, but it snags retty
quickly. Maybe the pipe bends? But if the vent pipe WERE clogged,
the rinse water would be leaking as well. ????

I am not in a great position to spend on a plumber, who might charge
me 1/4-1/2 of the washer's value, but will have to do it if NG doesn't
have any suggestions that we could implement at home.

Any input appreciated.

HB

If you can, observe the machine with the back off while running through
the soap cycle. That way you should be able to spot exactly where the leak
occurs. Could be a connection that is not 100% (leak) tight--the soapy
water is probably less viscous than plain water and thus able to "squeeze"
through the "not so tight" connection.
MLD

If you have a couple of strong, stupid friends, I suggest they hold it up in
the air, and let it run through one cycle. The leak will be easy to spot.
When my dumb strong friends aren't around, or are in traction, I just put
the machine up on a couple of 4x4's, or a few two by's and take off the
cover panels. With a flashlight and mirror, it is usually very easy to
trace the leak. Sometimes, the water trail makes it obvious without even
running it, or setting it up on 2x's. Hopefully, it will be a hose, or
clamp. If not, the major pieces are usually a switch out. I've repaired
several washing machines for parts that the repairmen at the shops said
would cost 3-4-5 X that much.

Steve