Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Washing machine leaks

On Nov 7, 3:51*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That might have been the blockage, you found. At 12 feet
with the drain snake.

Have you checked and cleared the vent stack? Do other drains
in the house drain slowly?

No other drains in the house drain slowly.

How do I check the vent stack?

TIA

HB
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

... I too have a similar snake... one thing to keep in mind,
is that with
some drains it will go up the vent line (leading to the
roof) instead of
down through the trap. Accessibility sometimes allows
you to look in and
see.

***Update: *When last heard from, I was about to get a snake
to see if
that would clear the (I guess?) clog. *I got one for $15
something
that said Manual/Drill. *Trying the Manual first, the handle
didn't
seem to progress the snake, so I forced it down manually.
Pulled up.
Nada. *OP got on it and pushed it further -- about 10-12'.
Encountered "resistance" that was probably the trap. Tip
came out
clean.

I'm told washer drains DO NOT HAVE A TRAP?

We now have to do the laundry this way: Whoever has the duty
stands in
front of the washer with a strong flashlight focused on the
drain
hole, monitoring as the water drains. *When the tone changes
and water
begins to show at the lip, we slam the control knob shut.
Very little
water escapes. *After a few seconds, we open the control
knob and
repeat the procedure. *Same with the rinse cycle. *This is
"effective"
but a PITA. *There's got to be a better way!!!

Also, the washer is installed in a narrow cut-out in the
kitchen wall
with barely an inch or so on each side. * We got tired of
pulling the
washer in & out of its home, worried about damaging
something in the
guts. So we try to deal with it by chucking rags back there
to sop up
the spill; hard to recover them.

This is crazy! *We're still trying NOT to call a plumber.
Not that I
don't love & honor my nabe plumber, *but $$ is tight.

Is there a SAFE and EFFECTIVE drain cleaner we can try?
Lots of
brands on the market. *I don't want to **** up *the (metal)
drain.

Sigh!