Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Antique weather vane stolen from barn in Boston area - replaced withfake

Possibility that this was an insurance scam?

===============================
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/09/2...-in-its-place/

Antique Weather Vane Stolen From Norwell Barn; Imitation Left In Its
Place

NORWELL (CBS) – An antique weather vane worth tens of thousands of
dollars was stolen from the top of a barn in Norwell, and the thief
tried to cover up his crime.

============
http://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com...eathervane.jpg
This historic weather vane was stolen from a barn in Norwell
=============

A little more than a week ago Louise Painter heard someone outside her
home in the middle of the night.

“They were trying to get in to the house because they had the screen
door open,” she says.

She and her husband called police, but the person was long gone. A few
days later they were back.

“It’s pretty incredible to be chased away Thursday night and a few days
come back and take it,” says Jeff Painter.

Whoever it was knew what they wanted and they had a long way to go to
get it. They had to go up on one roof, to the top of the barn roof.
There sat a copper horse that had blown in the winds for more than 100
years. And whoever stole the historic weather vane left a cheap
imitation in its place.

==============
http://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com...9/fakevane.jpg
A thief left this reproduction weather vane in place of the original.
===============

It was made of a tin like metal, which someone went through a lot of
trouble to make.

(I bet it was an ornamental tin horse that wasn't necessarily made as a
fake for this purpose)

“I was sick, it was a piece of history and it belongs with the house and
with the town of Norwell and with New England it’s a piece of history,”
says Louise.

A piece of history the two believe thieves are targeting not for their
copper, but for their historic value.

“These weather vanes are old antiques, folk art and can go from 10
thousand to 80 thousand dollars they are worth a lot of money,” says
Louise.

For Jeff and Louise they feel violated. They want it back, but also want
to spread the word.

“I am hoping to see it again,” says Jeff. “But I’m not optimistic, but I
am hoping.”