Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealed Sump Pump

I have moved into the area, for which half of the houses hae sealed
sump pump area. Question is:

1. Reason for sump pump to be selaed (Is it only radon, or something
else)
2. What should be possible mitigation plan, should sealed sump pump
disfunction during a hurricane downpour.

Thxs

AT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 11:08*am, AT wrote:
I have moved into the area, for which half of the houses hae sealed
sump pump area. Question is:

1. Reason for sump pump to be selaed (Is it only radon, or something
else)
2. *What should be possible mitigation plan, should sealed sump pump
disfunction during a hurricane downpour.

Thxs

AT

I use a heating duct boster fan to ventilate my sump pump to the
outsdie. I use a 4" duct like you would use for a kitchen fan and an
outside wall plate with a screen to keep critters out, and the duct to
the outside runs thru the perimiter joist just above the plate. Since
this is not specifically for radon control, I didn't run it up to the
roof. But, I am sure it helps reduce any radon as well as any smellls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2011 12:08 PM, AT wrote:
I have moved into the area, for which half of the houses hae sealed
sump pump area. Question is:

1. Reason for sump pump to be selaed (Is it only radon, or something
else)
2. What should be possible mitigation plan, should sealed sump pump
disfunction during a hurricane downpour.

Thxs

AT

You would not seal a sump pump. If it's a below ground tank, with a
bolted on cover and pipes coming up through rubber bushings, it would
likely be an ejector pump for sewage. If you're looking at a 4" PVC duct
coming out of the concrete, it's probably a radon system. The blower for
the system could be outside the house, or in some remote location
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 12:58:09 -0400, RBM wrote:

On 9/25/2011 12:08 PM, AT wrote:
I have moved into the area, for which half of the houses hae sealed
sump pump area. Question is:

1. Reason for sump pump to be selaed (Is it only radon, or something
else)
2. What should be possible mitigation plan, should sealed sump pump
disfunction during a hurricane downpour.

Thxs

AT

You would not seal a sump pump. If it's a below ground tank, with a
bolted on cover and pipes coming up through rubber bushings, it would
likely be an ejector pump for sewage. If you're looking at a 4" PVC duct
coming out of the concrete, it's probably a radon system. The blower for
the system could be outside the house, or in some remote location

Sumps _are_ sealed for radon mitigation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2011 12:08 PM, AT wrote:
I have moved into the area, for which half of the houses hae sealed
sump pump area. Question is:

1. Reason for sump pump to be selaed (Is it only radon, or something
else)
2. What should be possible mitigation plan, should sealed sump pump
disfunction during a hurricane downpour.

Thxs

AT

You would not seal a sump pump. If it's a below ground tank, with a
bolted on cover and pipes coming up through rubber bushings, it would
likely be an ejector pump for sewage. If you're looking at a 4" PVC duct
coming out of the concrete, it's probably a radon system. The blower for
the system could be outside the house, or in some remote location

Sumps _are_ sealed for radon mitigation.

My sump cover is sealed and has a PVC pipe coming out of it through the roof
for passive radon removal. What's dumb about the setup is that the cover is
sealed but has a 2" diameter circular hole in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 20:56:31 -0400, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:

.. .

On 9/25/2011 12:08 PM, AT wrote:
[...]

Seems someone forgot something. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 20:56:31 -0400, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:

.. .

On 9/25/2011 12:08 PM, AT wrote:
I have moved into the area, for which half of the houses hae sealed
sump pump area. Question is:

1. Reason for sump pump to be selaed (Is it only radon, or something
else)

So your dog or baby won't fall in?

2. What should be possible mitigation plan, should sealed sump pump
disfunction during a hurricane downpour.

Even if it's not sealed, what are you going to do? The time to do it
is now.

My house is 32 years old and the sump pump is always big enough**,
except once 4 years ago, I came home and there was water on the
laundry room floor, where the sump pump is. I heard the pump running,
ran outside to see if the output was clogged, but it wasn't. It was
pouring loads of water out, but this one time, not enough.

The water dried up and I thought I would go from a 1/3HP pump to a
1/2HP pump iirc. But then I thought about instead getting a battery
operated pump, which woudl also supplement the current pump. Then I
thought about getting 1/2hP AND the battery pump. Then I thought
about getting a water-powered basepump, which doesn't use electricity,
but doesn't, IIRC and I'm pretty sure I do, have the output of even my
1/3HP, but that's okay because I could keep t he 1/3 in place, or
change it to a 1/2.

Anyhow, the choices confused me and I figure I have maybe 24 years
before another time that the pump isn't big enough.

Check with neiighbors who have lived there longer to find out the real
chance of flooding (and to find out why it is sealed) , to find out
how big their sump pump is, if they know, to find out how to unseal
the sump when you need to. Especially check with n'bors whose house
is at the same elevation yours is.

I'm at the end of the row of townhouses, so it's clear to the eye that
my house is the same elevation as the one next door, and the two next
to that are a little higher, and everyone else is higher still. The
first four are the only ones out of 109 who have a problem when the
stream overflows the manhole for the sanitary sewer and that backs up.
(Well not anymore for me.)

** (not counting the potential for a power failure, which has never
occurred when the water table was higher than my basement floor)

Thxs

AT

You would not seal a sump pump. If it's a below ground tank, with a
bolted on cover and pipes coming up through rubber bushings, it would
likely be an ejector pump for sewage. If you're looking at a 4" PVC duct
coming out of the concrete, it's probably a radon system. The blower for
the system could be outside the house, or in some remote location

Sumps _are_ sealed for radon mitigation.

My sump cover is sealed and has a PVC pipe coming out of it through the roof
for passive radon removal. What's dumb about the setup is that the cover is
sealed but has a 2" diameter circular hole in it.

That's okay. Only the small radon will get through, and there isn't
much of that.

I tested the basement for radon about 20 years ago and there was none.
I hope they don't decide to stop meeting at the malt shop and meet
here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 11:15*pm, micky wrote:
On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 20:56:31 -0400, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"

wrote:

.. .

On 9/25/2011 12:08 PM, AT wrote:
I have moved into the area, for which half of the houses hae sealed
sump pump area. Question is:

1. Reason for sump pump to be selaed (Is it only radon, or something
else)

So your dog or baby won't fall in?

2. *What should be possible mitigation plan, should sealed sump pump
disfunction during a hurricane downpour.

Even if it's not sealed, what are you going to do? * The time to do it
is now.

If the question is about the issue of having to unseal it
if it fails during a hurricane, you just unseal it and do
what you have to do. Radon is a long term exposure
issue and even if you leave it uncovered for a couple
days, it's not going to kill everyone. I agree with the
above advice. The time to unseal it, take a look, figure
out what you need to have a backup pump that you
can quickly replace it with, etc is now.