Posted to alt.home.repair
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Dimitrios Paskoudniakis is offline

Default Sealed Sump Pump

wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 12:58:09 -0400, RBM wrote:

On 9/25/2011 12:08 PM, AT wrote:
I have moved into the area, for which half of the houses hae sealed
sump pump area. Question is:

1. Reason for sump pump to be selaed (Is it only radon, or something
else)
2. What should be possible mitigation plan, should sealed sump pump
disfunction during a hurricane downpour.

Thxs

AT

You would not seal a sump pump. If it's a below ground tank, with a
bolted on cover and pipes coming up through rubber bushings, it would
likely be an ejector pump for sewage. If you're looking at a 4" PVC duct
coming out of the concrete, it's probably a radon system. The blower for
the system could be outside the house, or in some remote location

Sumps _are_ sealed for radon mitigation.

My sump cover is sealed and has a PVC pipe coming out of it through the roof
for passive radon removal. What's dumb about the setup is that the cover is
sealed but has a 2" diameter circular hole in it.