Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable emergency generator recommendations?

On Sep 16, 9:18*am, "
wrote:
Considering buying about a 5KW portable generator for
emergency use. *So it needs to be reliable but does not
have to endure long use over it's lifetime. *Around here
it might get used 5 hours every 5 years. *Worst outage
was the hurricane where power was out 3 days. *Even
then I'd only run it maybe 8 hours a day max.

So, any recommendations? *Particularly interested in
any issues with quality of the power. *From what I can
gather generators with brushless design are better in
that regard. *But many generator manufacturers don't
even spec if they are brushless or not. *There are
generators that one would think would be better, eg
Honda, but they are expensive. *At the other end are
the Chinese ones from Harbor Freight and similar.
Again, since I don't need long hours of longevity,
would one of the Chinese ones be OK. *Experiences?

Also would buy one that can be converted to NG.
Looks like you can get kits for many engines for
about $200 that do that. *Anyone using one of those?

We bought a Briggs 5,000 / 6,200 generator last year for about $500
(on sale). This spring I ordered a Reliance six-circuit manual
transfer switch and installed it myself. The generator will not quite
handle all of the demands of the six circuits so we know when to off-
load (example: if we are going to run the microwave, we might need to
shut off the furnace blower or other circuit for a few minutes).

Then I wrote up a simple, illustrated instruction manual explaining
how to: hook up the generator to the house plug; start the generator;
set the power switch on the generator control panel; set the three
main switches on the transfer panel for sump, fridge and freezer; shut
down the generator including fuel control; and reset the transfer
switches to line power. The instructions also advise the user of a
couple of nuisance beeps from the sump control and our computer backup
supply that can be ignored until we get home. A couple of trusted
neighbors have keys to the house; and a quick briefing on the book and
system operation. That way we can leave town and not worry about
freezers and sumps (We do have a battery back-up sump system too).

The main caution I have heard, regarding generators, is fuel quality.
A generator sales and installation guy told us the world is full of
nice, shiny new generators that won't start when the emergency
occurs. Bad Fuel. We have adopted a 90 day calendar procedure that
includes: Draining the generator into a gas can; refilling the tank
with fresh gas and a small amount of fuel stabilizer (usually Stabil
of Sea Foam); putting the drained fuel into a partial tank of gas in
our car. We try to keep three 5 gallon gas cans fairly full and
rotate through the mowers, garden tractor and trimmer during the
season. During the winter fuel exchange cycle, I drain the generator
tank, start the engine and run it dry before refilling. During the
winter, the car gets a little more 2-3 month old gas but it hasn't
complained yet. Sounds like a hassle but with it scheduled on the
calendar it just happens and the entire ceremony lasts 20-30 minutes
if the gas is already bought and available.

By the way, we live in SE Kansas inside of the tornado alley stripe
(50 miles from Joplin). Our juice was off for 21 hours about 1-1/2
weeks ago while we were on vacation. It is dry enough that the
neighbor didn't have to worry about the sump and the freezers held up
OK until power was restored.

A genset, transfer switch and some basic planning an prep can take
some of the concern out of how you will use the generator.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 1:12*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:32:54 -0700 (PDT), RonB
wrote:

On Sep 16, 9:18 am, "
wrote:
[...]

The best way to store the generator is dry. My Briggs has a drain
valve in the hose from the tank, just for this purpose. Drain it and
run the carb dry.
Store your gas separately and be sure you keep it turned over. I have
a boat, so that part is easy. (12 month boating season).
For us, the concern is hurricanes so we usually have enough warning to
be sure the tanks are full. I can store about 60 gallons of gasoline.
I also have a 150 gallon propane tank and the propane kit on the
generator.
All this means I will probably never have a real long term power
outage *;-)

Never thought of that - pretty good idea. But I am not sure when to
"store" ours. Here in the SE corner of Kansas we get thunderstorms
during spring and early autumn (and occasionally winter). Then winter
ice storms.

Maybe August..... Hmmmmm. :^)

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 10:03*am, RonB wrote:
On Sep 16, 1:12*pm, wrote:

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:32:54 -0700 (PDT), RonB
wrote:

On Sep 16, 9:18 am, "
wrote:
[...]

RonB- Hide quoted text -

I put stabilizer in mine. Run it occasionally. If it goes a year
withhout being needed I drain the gas and put it in my truck. Then
next time I go to run it I add a gallon or so of stabilized gas. We
never know when we will need it, hurricanes, ice storms, once we lost
power for the day because a dump truck went off the road along the
line and took a pole completely off at the ground. They had to
replace the pole and restring the wire.