Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new "green" muriatic acid

Went to Lowes today to get the good stuff. They now have only "Klean-
Strip" brand muriatic acid, which has a bright green label that touts
it's environmental safety, and "low fumes". Of course, it doesn't list
the concentration. I figured it was diluted. Indeed, I see from the
web MSDS sheets that this stuff is "25%" HCl, while the normal stuff
is 30%. Grainger seems to sell their own "Green Envy" stuff that's a
pathetic 20%.

Environmental safety?? Yes, it may be low fumes, but it's also low
performance. For those who take deep breaths while bending over
muriatic acid, this is the stuff for you!

This, of course is the trend in all kinds of solvents and cleaners.
The solution to screwing the customer is dilution of the solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 19:33:41 -0700 (PDT), Frank Foder
wrote:

Went to Lowes today to get the good stuff. They now have only "Klean-
Strip" brand muriatic acid, which has a bright green label that touts
it's environmental safety, and "low fumes". Of course, it doesn't list
the concentration. I figured it was diluted. Indeed, I see from the
web MSDS sheets that this stuff is "25%" HCl, while the normal stuff
is 30%. Grainger seems to sell their own "Green Envy" stuff that's a
pathetic 20%.

The last time I looked at lowe's they had the old stuff and the
'green' stuff. The 'green' was 1/2 the concentration of the
regular.[and twice the price, if memory serves]

I got mine from the pool place, which was about 20-30% stronger than
Lowe's' ''regular'. [OTOH-- it was also about 30% more expensive-- so
I only saved shelf space and convenience]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 7:27*am, Han wrote:
Frank Foder wrote in news:d8449f41-ee0f-44ec-af4b-
:

Went to Lowes today to get the good stuff. They now have only "Klean-
Strip" brand muriatic acid, which has a bright green label that touts
it's environmental safety, and "low fumes". Of course, it doesn't list
the concentration. I figured it was diluted. Indeed, I see from the
web MSDS sheets that this stuff is "25%" HCl, while the normal stuff
is 30%. Grainger seems to sell their own "Green Envy" stuff that's a
pathetic 20%.

Environmental safety?? Yes, it may be low fumes, but it's also low
performance. For those who take deep breaths while bending over
muriatic acid, this is the stuff for you!

This, of course is the trend in all kinds of solvents and cleaners.
The solution to screwing the customer is dilution of the solution.

HCl doesn't dissolve to greater than 30% in water. *Get it a little
warmed (just a little is enough), and the HCl gas will come out ---
fumes.

So 25% is just fine for almost any purpose, and 20% may also be fine,
unless your specific purpose requires the strongest acid possible. *

--
Best regards
Han

Most uses of HCL requires dilution anyway so just add a little less
water.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2011 10:33 PM, Frank Foder wrote:
Went to Lowes today to get the good stuff. They now have only "Klean-
Strip" brand muriatic acid, which has a bright green label that touts
it's environmental safety, and "low fumes". Of course, it doesn't list
the concentration. I figured it was diluted. Indeed, I see from the
web MSDS sheets that this stuff is "25%" HCl, while the normal stuff
is30%. Grainger seems to sell their own "Green Envy" stuff that's a
pathetic 20%.

Environmental safety?? Yes, it may be low fumes, but it's also low
performance. For those who take deep breaths while bending over
muriatic acid, this is the stuff for you!

This, of course is the trend in all kinds of solvents and cleaners.
The solution to screwing the customer is dilution of the solution.

I think the azeotrope is 20% and concentrated HCl is 30%. Pure HCl is a
gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We've had enough!

It's time for the dilution of the solution revolution!

Cleaners of the world, unit. You have nothing to lose but
your cleaning chemicals.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank Foder" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

JIMMIE wrote in
:

On Sep 9, 7:27*am, Han wrote:
[...]

As he said. Indeed.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Went to Lowes today to get the good stuff. They now have only "Klean-
Strip" brand muriatic acid, which has a bright green label that touts
it's environmental safety, and "low fumes". Of course, it doesn't list

I bought some of the green stuff intentionally because I was going to
let my 17 year old nephew and a friend wash the white brick at my
home.

They spent about 4 hours washing less than half of the front of the
house. Lets just say my nephew lacks motivation. We scrapped the
project.

Had I left them on the project, they would have eventually made it to
the back of the house. On the back side of the house, I have a wooden
porch. I was fearful that the acid could have damaged the wood.
Anyone know just how strong the green stuff is? It says not to get it
on metal or wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

One would think that as the concentration gets lower the price would
go down. Nope. Price hasn't changed. The water they use to dilute it
must be pretty pricey stuff! In a few months they'll be selling
vinegar for $7/gallon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank Foder wrote:
Went to Lowes today to get the good stuff. They now have only "Klean-
Strip" brand muriatic acid, which has a bright green label that touts
it's environmental safety, and "low fumes". Of course, it doesn't list
the concentration. I figured it was diluted. Indeed, I see from the
web MSDS sheets that this stuff is "25%" HCl, while the normal stuff
is 30%. Grainger seems to sell their own "Green Envy" stuff that's a
pathetic 20%.

Environmental safety?? Yes, it may be low fumes, but it's also low
performance. For those who take deep breaths while bending over
muriatic acid, this is the stuff for you!

This, of course is the trend in all kinds of solvents and cleaners.
The solution to screwing the customer is dilution of the solution.

The one that always gets me is the TSP that isn't tri-sodium phosphate. If
you're gonna call the product TSP, it should be tri-sodium phosphate, not a
degreasing alternative.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2011 9:33 PM, Frank Foder wrote:
Went to Lowes today to get the good stuff. They now have only "Klean-
Strip" brand muriatic acid, which has a bright green label that touts
it's environmental safety, and "low fumes". Of course, it doesn't list
the concentration. I figured it was diluted. Indeed, I see from the
web MSDS sheets that this stuff is "25%" HCl, while the normal stuff
is30%. Grainger seems to sell their own "Green Envy" stuff that's a
pathetic 20%.

Environmental safety?? Yes, it may be low fumes, but it's also low
performance. For those who take deep breaths while bending over
muriatic acid, this is the stuff for you!

This, of course is the trend in all kinds of solvents and cleaners.
The solution to screwing the customer is dilution of the solution.

If it works better than dry acid, for pools, it might not be that bad of
an idea. Those fumes can kick you on your ass if you get a good enough
of a whiff. I know I do everything I can to keep from breathing it in
but usually do anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 12:49:26 -0700 (PDT), Frank Foder
wrote:

One would think that as the concentration gets lower the price would
go down. Nope. Price hasn't changed. The water they use to dilute it
must be pretty pricey stuff! In a few months they'll be selling
vinegar for $7/gallon.

You're paying for packaging and shipping. They throw in the acid for nothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the same problem with Pseudoephedrine free Sudafed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken"
wrote in message ...

This, of course is the trend in all kinds of solvents and
cleaners.
The solution to screwing the customer is dilution of the
solution.

The one that always gets me is the TSP that isn't tri-sodium
phosphate. If
you're gonna call the product TSP, it should be tri-sodium
phosphate, not a
degreasing alternative.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Went to Lowes today to get the good stuff. They now have only "Klean-
Strip" brand muriatic acid, which has a bright green label that touts
it's environmental safety, and "low fumes". Of course, it doesn't list

I bought some of the green stuff intentionally because I was going to
let my 17 year old nephew and a friend wash the white brick at my
home.

They spent about 4 hours washing less than half of the front of the
house. Lets just say my nephew lacks motivation. We scrapped the
project.

Had I left them on the project, they would have eventually made it to
the back of the house. On the back side of the house, I have a wooden
porch. I was fearful that the acid could have damaged the wood.
Anyone know just how strong the green stuff is? It says not to get it
on metal or wood.

Strong acid can cause the hydrolysis of cellulose breaking it down to sugar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sweet!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank"
wrote in message ...

porch. I was fearful that the acid could have damaged the
wood.
Anyone know just how strong the green stuff is? It says
not to get it
on metal or wood.

Strong acid can cause the hydrolysis of cellulose breaking
it down to sugar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

One would think that as the concentration gets lower the price would
go down. Nope. Price hasn't changed. The water they use to dilute it
must be pretty pricey stuff! In a few months they'll be selling
vinegar for $7/gallon.

You're paying for packaging and shipping. *They throw in the acid for nothing.

Yeah, right. That's why I can now get vinegar for $2/gallon. But,
yeah, maybe the muriatic acid comes from Nepal or something.

Anyone know just how strong the green stuff is? It says not to get it on metal or wood.

If I wanted to clean wood or metal, I sure wouldn't use muriatic acid
unless I was trying to clean the wood or metal off of something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 16:18:59 -0700 (PDT), Frank Foder
wrote:

One would think that as the concentration gets lower the price would
go down. Nope. Price hasn't changed. The water they use to dilute it
must be pretty pricey stuff! In a few months they'll be selling
vinegar for $7/gallon.

You're paying for packaging and shipping. *They throw in the acid for nothing.

Yeah, right. That's why I can now get vinegar for $2/gallon. But,
yeah, maybe the muriatic acid comes from Nepal or something.

Gasoline costs $3.50/gallon and Perrier is something like $6.

Anyone know just how strong the green stuff is? It says not to get it on metal or wood.

If I wanted to clean wood or metal, I sure wouldn't use muriatic acid
unless I was trying to clean the wood or metal off of something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

One would think that as the concentration gets lower the price would
go down. Nope. Price hasn't changed. The water they use to dilute it
must be pretty pricey stuff! In a few months they'll be selling
vinegar for $7/gallon.

You're paying for packaging and shipping. They throw in the acid for nothing.

Yeah, right. That's why I can now get vinegar for $2/gallon. But,
yeah, maybe the muriatic acid comes from Nepal or something.

Gasoline costs $3.50/gallon and Perrier is something like $6.

Geez, that's right. That's why Perrier is so expensive. Because they
dilute it with that same pricey water! Hard to dilute gasoline with
water. That's why it's so cheap by comparison.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 18:07:41 -0700 (PDT), Frank Foder
wrote:

One would think that as the concentration gets lower the price would
go down. Nope. Price hasn't changed. The water they use to dilute it
must be pretty pricey stuff! In a few months they'll be selling
vinegar for $7/gallon.

You're paying for packaging and shipping. They throw in the acid for nothing.

Yeah, right. That's why I can now get vinegar for $2/gallon. But,
yeah, maybe the muriatic acid comes from Nepal or something.

Gasoline costs $3.50/gallon and Perrier is something like $6.

Geez, that's right. That's why Perrier is so expensive. Because they
dilute it with that same pricey water! Hard to dilute gasoline with
water. That's why it's so cheap by comparison.

No, the dilute gasoline with BOOZE. What a waste. It dilutes the gasoline
_and_ makes the vodka undrinkable! Only government could come up with an idea
like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Frank Foder typed:
Went to Lowes today to get the good stuff. They now have
only "Klean- Strip" brand muriatic acid, which has a
bright green label that touts it's environmental safety,
and "low fumes". Of course, it doesn't list the
concentration. I figured it was diluted. Indeed, I see
from the web MSDS sheets that this stuff is "25%" HCl,
while the normal stuff is 30%. Grainger seems to sell
their own "Green Envy" stuff that's a pathetic 20%.

Environmental safety?? Yes, it may be low fumes, but it's
also low performance. For those who take deep breaths
while bending over muriatic acid, this is the stuff for
you!

This, of course is the trend in all kinds of solvents and
cleaners. The solution to screwing the customer is
dilution of the solution.

Now think about it; who do you suppose is REALLY behind the changes in
dulution? It is not Lowes!